HybridZ

My 1 month old Walbro gave up the ghost....recommended pumps?

ktm

I'm using this Bosch unit and it was a super-easy install:

6dbd_2.JPG

(It's good enough for a 3.6L turbo)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-FUEL-PUMP-NEW-911-924-944-1994-80TURBO-NO-TURBO_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33555QQihZ018QQitemZ280171768144QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

This MSD one flows plenty and is supposed to be an easy install too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MSD-2225-HIGH-PRESSURE-IN-LINE-ELECTRIC-FUEL-PUMP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46101QQihZ016QQitemZ260181043553QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

a118_2.JPG

Bo, any idea what could have happened to the Walboro? I thought those were pretty much bullet-proof?! :?

[Edit: Duh, you already mentioned these]

Hugh, at this time I have no idea what caused the Walbro to fail.

I energized the system (about 5 times in total) and got ZERO pressure. This was after the last two days where I had 40 psi the first day, 20 psi the second, and 0 today (all after energizing the system). I pinched the line after the regulator and again got ZERO pressure. Ok, its not the regulator or something is stuck in the regulator keeping the diaphragm open.

I jack the car up and remove the downstream line from the fuel filter, which is located before the pump. Fuel starts to pour out of the filter, a good sign since I have over a half tank of gas left and the pickup line is located below the halfway mark.

I then go up to the fuel rail in the engine and remove the line coming from the rail to the regulator.....NO FUEL. I remove the line feeding the rail and only a trickle comes out from the rail....NO FUEL comes out of the line.

I crawl back under the car and remove the line from the pump discharge....NO FUEL.

I can safely say my new Walbro is dead. It energizes, I can hear it fire up, but its just not pumping.

Maybe the fuel damper went bad? (although it doesn't seem likely)

I wonder what would happen if you ran a line from the fuel pump discharge into the tank filler for an easy test (just to see if it is flowing anything at all)?

Anyway, I found an MSD pump in my garage (never used) that I'm willing to part with. PM me if you're interested. I will say the Bosch unit had the right size fittings and same diameter as the stock turbo FP, which made the MSD less desireable for my 280ZXT.

Alongside the MSD was my receipt for the Bosch unit (0-580-464-021) that I paid $192 for over four years ago (list was $299?!) :weird:. I swear I should throw away my receipts!! Sometimes Evilbay is way cheaper than the local parts place.:icon54:

I don't think its flowing at all now. After energizing the system, I would expect the line from the pump to the rail to be full of fuel, yet when I disconnected the line at the pump discharge not a single drop of gas leaked out.

I am still looking and I've found a few that may fit my needs. The only problem I have at the moment is my entire fuel system is plumbed with -6 fittings, so I'll most like have to buy some adapters which will then impact my lines as everythign is spaced just so.

I hope I don't run into any issues with my pair I have suppling my fuel needs to the RB.

I have read/heard of Walbro pumps giving up the ghost, but not really any more frequently than other brands I suppose....

I dunno, I'm not going to flame on them yet, mainly cause mine are holding up just fine (so far :D).

Kind of late to be asking this, but have you tried calling Holley / Walboro and asked them if they'd replace it (for free)? :icon14::icon13:

If it's brand new and they can tell you didn't run 24V through it and it's not full of gunk I don't see why they wouldn't replace it.

I haven't had any issues with the Walbro GSL-392 pumps I have run in the past. I run twin pumps now. My neighbor is running a Walbro GSL-392 in his turbo L28 240z that I ran for 4 years in my old turbo L28 and it is still going strong. Measure the voltage at the pump, good ground at the pump, and if it is truly the pump, and you bought it new a week ago, try returning it to the vendor you bought it from for a replacement before you give up on them and change you fuel system...

just my .02

when I first got my Walbro I thought it was bad after a very short time.

low psi and some times no flow. and it was soooo loud too.

checked my voltage and found out why. the stock wiring and relay on my car was not capable of providing the voltage needed.

I made a hot wire kit with a new style relay. Fixed. no flow probs and the pump is very quiet now too. 2 years later and all is still good.

I am running all new wires to the fuel pump and utilize a fuel pump relay. Voltage is a rock steady 12+ volts at all times. My ground is to a frame rail near the pump.

I understand that it may be a fluke and I have been reconsidering Walbro.

There have been a flood of inferior Chinese made Walbro and Bosch pumps out on the market now. I would check my supplier to make sure the pump is a genuine Walbro.

Summit sells this same pump under it`s own name for 189.00

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=AEI%2D11106&N=700+4294836965+4294891680+115&autoview=sku

http://www.exelife.com/blog/automotive/walbro-fuel-pump-forgeries-who-knew.html

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1907305

As it turns out, my pump will not hold pressure when the car is turned off. You can actually see the needle drop. This in turn causes the fuel system to air lock and the pump will not pump.

You linked an Aeromotive pump. When I went to Summit and browsed Summit's pumps, it looks like they have the Aeromotive pump you linked as their own and not a Walbro.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2DG3137&N=700+115&autoview=sku

As it turns out, my pump will not hold pressure when the car is turned off. You can actually see the needle drop. This in turn causes the fuel system to air lock and the pump will not pump.

Mine also bleeds down quickly but have never had a problem re-starting, I usually let it cycle for a second or two (get up to pressure) before actually firing up the car.

Yasin

We've had the conversation before, but make sure the intake on the pump is below the fuel level in the tank. You want it as low as possible.

Pressure dropping at the rail with the pump turned off is probably no real issue. But having the pump lose it's prime because all the fuel drained back into the tank from the inlet side is a problem.

You need to make sure all of the air is out of the pump before it will move fuel. Try drawing a suction on the outlet side of the pump. If you can get fuel out that way, then turn the pump on and see what happens.

Pop, I definitely experienced air locking, a first for me in this car with this pump. I would have a small amount of fuel in my line between the rail and the pump, and the rest of the line would be air only. As a result, I air locked.

I then disconnected my hoses and blew the fuel out of the lines. Upon reconnecting, the car pressurized to 40 psi but would surge at idle. No detectable vacuum leaks (I sprayed carb cleaner around all vacuum connections). When giving it a little bit of throttle, it would hesitate and upon throttle lift there would be a few second period where the car would idle great before it would start to surge again. The surging is consistent with my earlier (pre head gasket replacement) observations when driving - it suddenly starting surging one day during cruising.

Additionally, my fuel pressure gauge was showing a fluctuating pressure with the vacuum reference disconnected. Between the Walbro pump and the Aeromotive A1000-6 FPR, I am putting my bets on the pump being the culprit.

Are you sucking air on the inlet side of the pump? Perhaps a corroded pinhole inside the tank below fuel level.

Been there, done that on the 260!

At least it doesn't look like your pump is failed ( I was going to suggest rust ingestion from the tank till I saw 'prefiler'...then thought 'air leak'!)

Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

on the bosch pumps you can install a factory check valve like they do in some of the porsche applications. Not sure how much it is but try getting a CIS car to start without a working check valve and it will make you a believer in them. Hope that my walbro keeps working, sometimes it makes more noise than others though