HybridZ

Interesting V6 option

Gollum

Wow! I am a big fan of this engine. Some how I missed out on all this good info. Thanks for the help Krayz. Couple of questions though...

Is the M90 large enough to efficiently power the 4.2? Why are the 99-04 Mustang blocks more desirable? Higher or lower compression? If higher... is that really a good thing?

I didn't know 5.0L transmissions and mounts interchange... That would indicate that possibly the Alsil mount could place this engine under someones hood quite easily. Furthermore... do you know if this block shares weaknesses with the 5.0L HO (like a block that splits ~500hp)? Also another plus for this swap... I have an inkling that tweecer.com sells a chip for this ECU... means basic setup + programmable ECU for cheap.

EDIT: Doesn't look like there is a tweecer for the T-Bird S/C engine, what a let down.

ok From the top:

yes for the m90 but there are a few people with the 03-04 cobra m112 in use.(requires a special lower intake) but Procharger,&Vortec make kits.

The later 99+ blocks have factory main girdles=stronger bottom end.

LOL i'm using a Alsil crossmember!!!!

For engine managment one word...............MEGASQUIRT!!!!!!

Megasquirt scares me... Are you using the EEC-IV adapter board or going straight for a re-wire. Eventually I want to megasquirt my 5.0L so after that I am sure I will be much more receptive.[/quote

I havea 89 merkur xr4ti running Megasquirt I extra runs fuel&spark w/TFI

Here have a look :http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2570260

Hmm... 99+ blocks have a factory girdle. That might explain why nearly ALL the 400+hp V6 mustang dynos I've seen are the later 99+ models.

Though I have seen some insane supercoupe dynos, and even vids of them in the 11's, and at their weight that's a pretty insane motor.

Remember that these motors aren't thought to be based off of any ford V8, but rather the buick V6. It has more similarities with that motor than any ford motor. So odds are it's pretty stout, especially with the girdle.

That "Split Port Injection" intake looks to be volume designed for torque, like the TPI intake.

How does it breathe under boost? Rev?

That windstar intake is taller and larger in volume than the standard mustang SPI intake,but the split port heads&intakes have dual intake ports long runners for torque,and short runners controled by butterflies to open in higher rpms like the 1st.gen 32 valve Cobra&SHO V6/8 ....So its Torquey& Rev's. But the 3.8/4.2L is a torque motor to start with.....Hey after all its just a 200hp, minivan/base mustang engine.

BTW thats with 2.25 diameter exhaust and 3 converters,and 9.1 cr. So add headers,cam,Rollerrockers,headers better exhaust,superchagers,or my favs.Turbochargers.

That windstar intake is taller and larger in volume than the standard mustang SPI intake,but the split port heads&intakes have dual intake ports long runners for torque,and short runners controled by butterflies to open in higher rpms like the 1st.gen 32 valve Cobra&SHO V6/8 ....So its Torquey& Rev's. But the 3.8/4.2L is a torque motor to start with.....Hey after all its just a 200hp, minivan/base mustang engine.

BTW thats with 2.25 diameter exhaust and 3 converters,and 9.1 cr. So add headers,cam,Rollerrockers,headers better exhaust,superchagers,or my favs.Turbochargers.

F/I aside, how much can those motors make with those upgrades?

I'd say the essex is possibly better than the VG30E depending on what you're looking for, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the VG30DE or VQ series.

The supercoupe motor could be had for just as cheap, if not less, than a VG30ET, makes more stock power, takes tons of HP on stock internals, and has quite a decent aftermarket support.

Sounds like a pretty sweet option if you ask me. Good overall balance of size, weight, price, performance.

Any Nissan V6 > Ford Essex V6, so why bother?

The bother is that this is a 200 hp throw away engine= plenty of parts and donors for parts. I can bet you that Ford has sold more V6 Mustangs&E/F series trucks and Windstar/freestar mini vans than Nissan has any V series engines laying around,(ok well in the US.) which means a rod thru the vq or a Rod thru the Essex? who has money left for upgrades????

Oh BTW. N/A there have been some 230-265 3.8L(cam porting retuning bolt ons

4.2l 250-300 depending on build)

Well the VG30E fits into the S30 and S130 just fine. I've seen a VG30E swap in person and it's a VERY small and neat package.

Something to keep in mind though:

VG is a 60 degree design, it's narrow

VG30E is pretty narrow due to it's SOHC design that's pretty low profile

Essex is 90 degrees, making it naturally wider, but this also makes it lower, both differences might not make a huge difference though.

any V motor in the 3-4 liter range would have to be ungodly huge to not fit in a S30 or S130. It's the turbos and/or exhaust that have a hard time fitting.