HybridZ

Cannonball Found What To Do??

S30TRBO

you guys like them damn smileys on this thread eh? haha. cool find man. what did the Society/ collectors have to say?

The Society said great find it's on your property do as you wish. I had one collector from the State of California say it's worth $300-$500. I have it listed on my local community website. It will go on Ebay later on.

Neat, I like old stuff like that. I can't imagine loading that thing. Normally naval guns were '10 pounders' meaning they could cast a shot weighing 10# a specified distance. That has to be some sort of Howitzer Round with a big loft to it, as I don't see a single man (like on a horizontal cannon) loading them alone. But a 'drop in Howitzer' could be loaded easily by two men with that load.

I was boonie stomping near my house when in Okinawa, and ran across a 4" Naval Warhead just sticking out of the coral cliff. I left it alone... Two years later we got an evacuation notice, I figured someone found it and EOD was clearing the area...I was wrong. They were digging foundations for a hotel directly across the river from us, and dug into a 15" naval projectile, and then several other aviation-related bits of ordinance.

From what I understand those 'clamshell' driveways you guys in MD and DE are happily installing routinely get small ordinance like Grenades and etc from the dredging operations. Apparently troop ships were not that far out before they got the troops practicing to stay sharp. And dumping from Aberdeen was done wholesale in the ocean. Mmmmmm, new driveway and pinapples start sprouting! LOL

I'd roll it someplace to the front of the house, and use it for a conversation piece.

The Society said great find it's on your property do as you wish. I had one collector from the State of California say it's worth $300-$500. I have it listed on my local community website. It will go on Ebay later on.

Did they say what it is for / from?

You obviously need to make a cannon.

:iagree: Thanks lol...

With a slide rule, GPS system, a length of sewer pipe, and enough black powder, you might be able to create a new shipping catagory for Ebay....

"Express By Cannon" LOL

Neat, I like old stuff like that. I can't imagine loading that thing. I was boonie stomping near my house when in Okinawa.

Tony,

Thanks I found some neat stuff in Okinawa when I was there too. I lived off base for a while in Mizugama then moved on Foster.

Geez' date=' wish I could dig up something worth $300 from my back yard!

Congrats![/quote']

I hope I get something for it one day. Thanks!

Did they say what it is for / from?

They are going to come out and look in person in the next week or so. I will report back.

Unless someone offers you some $ for it, I would clean it up and keep it. What a great conversation piece.

:iagree: I would rather a collector have it and have it sit somewhere to have others appreciate it. Maybe with a mention of where it was found and my name on it.