Manual Steering for 300zx

kenny_b

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That will work but the rack will still be a power steering ratio which means you may need to crank the wheel over several times when parked which is a pain. I would recommend measuring the rack and getting a correct length one from an aftermarket supplier that was designed for manual steering.

Do you actually have that 280zx? Can you check if it is mounted BEHIND the front axle? Because if it is, I'm sure I can put it in. The wheelbase is the same, since Nissan almost exclusively changed the body and not the chassis.

If you want to do me a huge favor, you could measure it, too and take a picture ;)

But I understand if that is too much asked for, so if you don't feel like it, don't worry.

Thanks anyway!!!

Guest TeamNissan
I've been thinking about putting the clutch off an air conditoner onto the pump? The clutch could be switched so you could have power when parking, but there'd be no power loss when the pump was disengaged. Just an idea, I don't know if it would work or not.

I was thinking the same thing for a roots supercharger, mad max style lol. Bet it could be made to work. Idk about a condenser clutch but still.....

Don't like the idea of just unplugging a stock one either, silentnight is correct about the ratio. I know I personally would not deal with that. Prob look like popeye after a month.

Well, I am definately not trying to run on a power steering rack w/o pump. I agree, that would be insane ratio-wise. Not to mention wider tires...

I would just like to be able to pull two pulleys out, one from the A/C and one from the P/S. That way I could use a shorter belt on the auxillaries, and I'd be able to place the alternator where the A/C sits now - that would lower center of gravity AND lose weight. All I need is a manual steering rack that somehow fits.

That's right the Z31 has a serpentine belt. Anyways maybe you can take ques on the supercharge clutch system from the MR2 supercharger. It has a clutch.

Oops!

Did I mention I have the LT1 Chevy small block installed? Guess not... Anyway, timing is done via chain, so no belts there. The only things running on a belt are the A/C, P/S, Alternator, and a tensioner; all driven by a crankshaft pulley.

your new to cars ill forgive you,(lol) subby or subbie is an abbreviation for subaru. a few people have put subby rack in their 240's and such, so i think it should fit with little to no problems except for the steering shaft may need to be shortened. and well with a little help from google im sure you can find out what a steering quickener is.

your new to cars ill forgive you,(lol) subby or subbie is an abbreviation for subaru. a few people have put subby rack in their 240's and such, so i think it should fit with little to no problems except for the steering shaft may need to be shortened. and well with a little help from google im sure you can find out what a steering quickener is.

Well, but the 240's steering rack goes in front of the axle, correct? So, I assume the subby (thx:) goes in front of the axle, too. I don't want to have to steer left to actually go right :(

forgot about that. actually i drive my z31 w/o power steering and it isnt bad at all, these cars are light enough that you really hardly notice it unless you have big tires in the front.

Hm, yeah. That might be the way to go. I'm just afraid that 225 slicks will not allow me to steer at all. How wide of tires do you drive?

dont laugh at me for this, i just cut the belt.

Yeah, but the whole point for me would be to get rid of the P/S pump... It would probably be the same if I'd connect the pipe ends...

well, that's my last option... will keep it in mind, though...