HybridZ

Manual Steering for 300zx

kenny_b

Do you have specific info on model name (like GL or whatever) and years? Maybe I can find a rack from a Canadian parts site??

The manual rack was only offered on the SF model in Canada. It had manual windows and locks and steel wheels with hub caps.

they are rare.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yes yes yes pleeeeaaaase!!!

I am now at a point where I need to make that decision, whether to go with a power steering, a modified p/s rack to fake a manual rack, or--if available at all--with a REAL manual rack!

I'd really appreciate you sending me pics!

Thank you in advance!

Kenny

My 86 has a manual rack from a 280. My wife is out of town with our camera so if you want I'll snap some pics when she gets back on Monday.

My 86 has a manual rack from a 280. My wife is out of town with our camera so if you want I'll snap some pics when she gets back on Monday.

I'm a little confused here(?). I thought that the Z31 has its steering rack behind the front axle.

Z31 Front Suspension_thumb.jpg

I'm a little confused here(?). I thought that the Z31 has its steering rack behind the front axle.

Beats me! Sure looks like it should be from the picture you posted. This is how the car was when I bought it. This is my first Z car and I was only trying to help. As you can see, it is not your typical 300ZX. Here's another picture:

rack5.jpg

Boohoooo! *whine* I don't know how, but mine is completely different. Looks like someone has taken pretty much the whole front axle and turned it around, including the axle-pivots and knuckles and brakes... Sure looks very nice and it is a genious idea - only that I already welded the motor mounts onto the axle and don't want to tear it all apart again. Bummer. Thanks very much anyway. This is definitely a great alternative in case I won't find anything else :)