Manual Steering for 300zx

kenny_b

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

im pretty sure you could just loop the inlet and outlet together, but i dont know the size fittings you would need to have a hose made.

Well, the fittings are of minor concern; very sure you can pick those up at a local hardware store. Only thing in my mind would be the gearbox - not that I'm that weak, but moving wide racing tires without power steering on a high ratio power steering rack would most likely create big pain :(

Anyway, thank you very much - If I can't find anything I'l probably end up doing exactly that.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been running without assist for 20 years and I can tell you it is hard on steering wheels and that damper that lies in the thru-tube for the firewall on the steering shaft.

The effort is hard enough such that you can easily detatch the padding from the skeleton of the steering wheel.

I went to a Z32 wheel and back to assist.

well, hearing that you went to a Z32 wheel I assume you have all interior in the car and your car weighs as much as it weighs. I'd have a little advantage over that by removing everything from inside the car, so I don't have as much weight on the wheels, but still I don't like the ratio I had to put up with - it still would be hard to turn...

Never had a true manual rack on the 300zx myself but the slower ratio required to make effort tolerable on a car the weight of a 300zx may diminsh the experience.

If are able to fit a rack from an early Z car, it may be a fast enough ratio but you end up with again............too much effort much like in the case of a non-assisted z31 rack.

Never had a true manual rack on the 300zx myself but the slower ratio required to make effort tolerable on a car the weight of a 300zx may diminsh the experience.

If are able to fit a rack from an early Z car, it may be a fast enough ratio but you end up with again............too much effort much like in the case of a non-assisted z31 rack.

That's true... then again; I have an old 535is that has power steering and still turns at least 3.5 times lock to lock. Taking one of those racks and convert it probably would not make a difference to the assisted version.

Early Z cars unfortunately have the rack mounted in front of the axle, the Z31 has it behind the axle, so that is no option. The only thing that I have not seen yet is a manual steering rack on a 280zx. So if you come along one of those, I'd love to see pictures!

• 2 months later...