HybridZ

Turbo Conversion on 280z?

Was browsing through ebay and i found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-280Z-280ZX-TURBO-KIT_W0QQitemZ160182783699QQihZ006QQcategoryZ33742QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was wondering if, running on stock engine, could I run low boost with this set up?

The engine had some work done when I got the car, replaced a rod, and did some other work, I just don't want to blow it up or mess up the gaskets/seals etc.

Does the ebay item have everything I need, or would I need a new ECU and intake manifold as well?

Provided everything is in good condition, you are getting alot of stuff in that auction and the price is excellent, everything you need pretty much.

If I was going to turbo my stock normally aspirated L28, I would use eveything in that auction, plus a very efficient intercooler, a larger fuel pump and a rising rate fuel press. regulator. Plus I would only run 5psi of boost with stock injectors and stock compression, which would still be plenty fast. Controlling detonation and Exhaust Gas Temps is the golden key to longevity!

Lots of info on this site, so grab a coffee or beer and a few hours and do some reasearch - you will be plenty glad.

Never heard of Z Performance Racing before, but that 280Z in their YouTube video was VERY impressive.

Yasin

You could use everything in that "kit' but you would also need alot more. really the only thing you are getting is a manifold and a broken turbo. The turbo should be rebalanced when you replace the broken compressor wheel. That stock 280zx downpipe is prety poor, but okay for a budget rebuild. The fact that you are asking if this is all you needs tells me if you try to do this without getting some help from someone who understands turbo you will blow up your motor. Read through as many threads as you can to get a better understanding. Being in El Segundo there are tons of local Z car guys who can help you out. Find a local club and start hanging out with them.

Greg Kring

71 240zt