HybridZ

Datsun 240z Stereo Set Up

Guest Canada01

Guest Canada01

Hey guys,

i was wondering if you could help me out... i just purchased my car a couple weeks ago.. the car didn't come with speakers so i have no idea where the original speakers were before.. i can see from the interior panels in the back that they were above the shocks.. 2 on each side..., but i don't see how they were mounted... i prefer to keep it as original as possible... does anyone have any links to photos of the original speaker set up??

thanks for the help!

From what was left of it, my stock setup was 2 crappy speakers, maybe 5" dia, one in each of the rear quarters. The brackets are integrated and they mount inside the rear quarters along the floor.

I suggest ripping it all out and installing a decent 4x6.5" speaker system with a small sub (single sealed 8" or 10"). That's what I'll do once the "stereo phase" is reached. If you must go "stock", you'll be stuck with two speakers and I think you'll have to fabricate your own brackets.

- Greg -

The 240Z came with one strategically placed speaker in the back left corner of the car..... facing... the back right.

Haha - that's right! I went looking for what I THOUGHT would be a second speaker behind the nicely drilled speaker grill in the rear passenger quarter and there was nothing there. Man, car audio in the 70's really rocked!

- Greg -

I recently installed a stereo system into my 240z. I put an Alpine head unit with 2-way, 5 1/4" Alpine R speakers in the doors and Infinity Kappa 3-way 6x9's in the back with the MSA speaker box. With only 18watts RMS x 4 its very loud and clear. The bass is perfect, not deep at all, it really hits hard. I'm sure the fatmat in the entire cabin helps a lot too. Plus the tweeters rotate and it does make a slight difference if you point them toward the seats. My doors also almost act like a box, because I have fatmat in every corner on the inside of the doors along with the outside, plus that ebay auto-mat insulation on the backs of the door panels.

If you get 4 really good speakers with 2 ways in front and 3-ways in back with an amp then thats all the sound you'll ever need. Make sure you get a good head unit, adjusting the frequencies, hertz, BBE, treble, bass, etc. etc. makes a world of a difference. It also doesn't hurt to install Fatmat, dynomat, etc. etc..

• 2 weeks later...

My 240z came with those. Obviously they point straight ahead, which is better than the stock positions, but what I don't like about them is that there's not back to what you would think to be a box. It's just an L shape (making the port merely aesthetic) that you loosely fasten to your tail and shove the carpet under. Seems kinda cheap to me, especially for that price. Plus they're extra easy to see and a little obtrusive, so you could risk a break in. I'm going to try to make them work for now, and since my car is missing a spare tire anyway, I might go crazy and build a woofer box in the tub. It's been done before, and it will not only hide a pretty nice sub, but it will save space too. You just throw the carpet over the insert, and no one will know where that sound is coming from. If you have a flat, call AAA.

I'm going to try to make them work for now, and since my car is missing a spare tire anyway, I might go crazy and build a woofer box in the tub. It's been done before, and it will not only hide a pretty nice sub, but it will save space too. You just throw the carpet over the insert, and no one will know where that sound is coming from. If you have a flat, call AAA.

It has been done and I love it, Did it 5 years ago when I first got my Z. First thing I did was pull the stock stuff and swap the old power antenna for a newer PW-22 from Metra, the stock AM radio for a Pioneer AM/FM/CD/XM stereo, and the nothing in front for Kicker 4" 2-ways in the doors, and the rear got Pioneer 5 1/4" thin-line 2 ways.

That was all fine and dandy but it needed more. I pulled the Flat spare out, cleaned up the dust and wiped it down, Layered it with tin foil, taped off the foil, made a small cardboard box over the spare tire mount, fiberglassed the whole thing up to 1/8" then made a top.

The amp sits in the wheel well next to the sub and under the tool rack

The pics tell the rest. I also threw in a pic of the new white face gauges I just put in.

2635267_2.jpg4921zsubcover.jpg

4921zsubtools.jpg

4536_thumb.attach

DSC04260_thumb.JPG

4538_thumb.attach

left front speaker pod_thumb.JPG

DSC04278_thumb.JPG

That's exactly how I was going to do mine, except for the tool rack. Nice! Looks spiffy too like it's OEM. Those front speakers seem like they could take quite the beating over time from people kicking them when they get in and out. They point nice though.

Where did you get those gauges? They look stock, only, of course, white.

Here's a forum on the whole gaguge refacing I did. http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28936

White face gauge kit from MSA, http://superbriteleds.com BA9s White Wide Angle bayonet bulbs in each gauge, My parking light relay upgrade (see signiture for more info) Painted the back of each face plate chrome.

Also painted the other internals silver to cover the old white color.

Dave.

Nobody kicks the speakers. They have yet to be stepped on or damaged, hope I did'nt just jinx it.

I have 6x9s in the riser panel behind the seats with the tool lids sealed and 6.5"s in the front in custom enclosures I made right by the front doors. I am driving them with a 250w/4ohm amp. The 6x9s have hellacious kick since they are, in essence, in a sealed box and the 6.5"s bring the mids and highs forward.

And unfortunately, I don't have those in my 70'. The tool box's went into the Z's in the mid 71's. You'll also notice that everything except for the holes in the doors, can be put back to stock. There is no cut metal or drilled holes, to allow the system I have. The sub box is easily removable as are the kick panel pods in the front.

Dave.

I was thinking about putting mine in the tool boxes, but it makes less sense to point them straight up anyway, especially since the sound is first deflected by the back of your seat anyway. Where the speakers point and whether they are covered at all makes a huge difference. I used to have some behind me pointed right at my ears but they got stolen so I put some in the doors in front o me and even though they were way more powerful, it wasn't nearly as loud or clear because they pointed at and were muffled by our legs. Sound wise, yours are probably in the best location. I'm pretty devoted to 6x9s but my friend got 4 almost identical speakers and the two 6" sounded louder and more deep at lower wattage than his 6x9s, which I thought was pretty strange.

Mine are not pointed straight up but rather into the back of the driver and passenger seats. The previous owner did a butcher's job installing them originally. They are not in the lids but the actual riser behind the seats. I just cleaned it up quite a bit, sealed the enclosures, and sealed the lids.