HybridZ

need help identifying turbo cam

cjames

I took the cam from my donor to my grinder today. He's going to cut me a new one due to the bearing journals being wiped out. Not sure what grind we're going to do yet, and I'm not even sure what cam I have to start with. Is there a quick way to identify the stock turbo camshaft from an '81? Maybe a casting number or something? Ive searched the archives, and I cant find any reference to stock specs, or how to identify. Any ideas?

HA! thats exactly what I was looking for, thanks! It's interesting to note the difference between the two P90 grinds, for auto and manual applications. What that means in the real world I dont know, but I do find it interesting that the auto would have more overlap and a little more lift on the exhaust. hmm.

So looking at the cam specifications of the stock Nissan grinds, it is easy to understand why most of the L series engines run about the same for power, rpm ranges and torque curve.

I went with an ISKY regrind and that part has turened out to be a really good fit to may application.

Hi Jeff, I bought a Stage II Schneider Turbo cam from MSA last year. It is the one with .460" lift (non-hydraulic). I heard that you were involved in the development of it.

I'm curious if you think it is a good cam for a stock turbo or maybe a turbo with ~25% more flow capability than stock. Also with mild unshrouding of the valves and cleaning up the exhaust ports. Too big? Too small? Worse than stock? (j/k)

Thanks, -Hugh