HybridZ

Opinions on S&W Sigma series?

auxilary

Z-tard: yeah, local shop has RIA filipino 1911s in stock for about 400. The handgrips are a bit thick for me, but it's a good starting platform. however, I don't know if I want a .45 yet. I'd love a 1911, but not yet

I went to a local gunshop and looked at their handguns, and for the price, the Rock Island Arsonals seemed like a really good deal. Solid construction, [claimed] reliable and accurate. Not to mention probably one of the most common handguns out there, clone or not. Parts and aftermarket . . . .

Its cool, I just thought I would share. BTW that is a direct copy from a I think 1966 army field manual. I think it was 66' anyway. Cool none the less.

EDIT!!!

Silencers are legal under federal law but since 1934 you must pay a $200 tax to purchase and submit to an FBI background check. Fingerprints and photos must be provided and a long wait of several months occurs before the paperwork is approved. There is no 'license' needed to own a silencer.

State law is a different matter. The following states allow ownership of silencers: AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, ME, MD, MS, MT, NE, ND, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WI, and WY. Of the sixteen states which do not allow civilian ownership, CA, IA, KS, MA, MO, and MI allow Class-3 dealers and Class-2 manufacturers to own silencers.

Woo-Hoo I can use and buy/own a silencer!

I went to a local gunshop and looked at their handguns, and for the price, the Rock Island Arsonals seemed like a really good deal. Solid construction, [claimed] reliable and accurate. Not to mention probably one of the most common handguns out there, clone or not. Parts and aftermarket . . . .

They seem pretty solid to me too. Typically, I like to build up 1911's from <80% complete frame forgings, but most of the research I've done on that lately shows that it may not be a good idea to do in CA due to it possibly violating the "Approved Handguns Roster".... Enter the RIA 1911. It's on the list, and it's cheap too!

Everything I've read about them says that they are built to correct GI specs for the 1911, so just about every aftermarket part should fit without too much trouble. These seem like a pretty decent platform for building a custom 1911 from, although the Les Baer/Ed Brown/Wilson Combat/etc. crowd will probably pooh pooh all over you for not shelling out $2000+ for a handgun....

I told myself I wasn't going to try to talk Aux into getting a .45 (They're not everyone's cup of tea I guess).... But seriously, Aux, you need to get a .45. Really. :)

Why yes, you can!

And so do, I mean, CAN I! :wink:

It's not a hard process and if you already have a concealled weapons permit, it's that much easier.

Mike

Its cool, I just thought I would share. BTW that is a direct copy from a I think 1966 army field manual. I think it was 66' anyway. Cool none the less.

EDIT!!!

Silencers are legal under federal law but since 1934 you must pay a $200 tax to purchase and submit to an FBI background check. Fingerprints and photos must be provided and a long wait of several months occurs before the paperwork is approved. There is no 'license' needed to own a silencer.

State law is a different matter. The following states allow ownership of silencers: AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, ME, MD, MS, MT, NE, ND, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WI, and WY. Of the sixteen states which do not allow civilian ownership, CA, IA, KS, MA, MO, and MI allow Class-3 dealers and Class-2 manufacturers to own silencers.

Woo-Hoo I can use and buy/own a silencer!

Ive carried a GLOCK #20 10mm for years as my personal defence pistol, its been both dependable and accurate and its never needed more that routine maintince like occasional clean/oiling

http://www.gunblast.com/Glock20.htm

youve got to ask yourself when sellecting a carry pistol,

"can I absolutely 100% depend on this pistol to fire accurately, never jam, and have the power to put some scumbag down with one good hit"

if the answers not, that your 100% sure... "your carring the WRONG PISTOL!"

theres no (DO OVERS) in a GUN FIGHT, CHANCES ARE, you EITHER WIN or you DIE, so carry a tool that will put the odds in your favor! and TAKE THE TIME TO PRACTICE FREQUENTLY

Here in Idaho, it is legal to buy a silencer, providing you pass the extensive background check, and fill out the appropriate paperwork, and pay the tax. One of my friends bought one here. He knows this stuff, and has an M-16 and a full auto Uzi. In addition he had to have the county sheriff and city police chief sign some paperwork. He has to cary a copy of the finalised paperwork with the wepon. It took a good 6-8 months for all this to happen after he paid the dealer for the silencer.

Ok, there are two issues at work here.

1. He lives in Kalifornia, so "usually" no custom or semi-custom handguns that aren't on the "list" unless you first buy a gun on the list and then send it off for customization later.

2. When looking for a "personal" handgun, you need to find one that fits YOU, not anyone else on this forum, or any forum for that matter. They're fine as personal opinions, but they're like butts, everyone has one and they all stink! ;)

Seriously, there are about 18 gun ranges in the "Bay Area" and 27 between Monterey in the South, Sacramento in the East and Vacaville in the North.

Check out:

http://www.dragunov.net/bay_area_ranges.htm

The most important thing to do is spend a few bucks to rent as many different handguns as possible to make sure the one you settle on fits your hand well and points naturally IN YOUR HAND. If you have friends that shoot, go with them to the range and shoot their handguns to see if they have something that you like and fits your hand. There's a reason there are so many different handgun styles and shapes out there, there are even more variations in the human hand.

Indoor gun ranges with rentals include:

1. Jackson Arms in South SanFrancisco

2. Target Masters in Milpitas

3. Reed's Indoor Shooting Range in Santa Clara

Over a 10 year span, I used to compete 2 to 3 times a month with a Sig P229 exclusively and shunned the "Fantastic Plastic". Then, one day at the range, a buddy of mine brought out his brand new, never fired Glock 35 and I fired the first 90 rounds through it in the IDPA Classifier and classified "Master" the first time I had ever picked up a Glock.

I had been plateaued at "Expert" and could never quite cross the threshold to Master until then. I went out the next day and bought one.

This is not an endorsement of Glock, but simply an anecdote illustrating how I had dismissed the Glock's without ever holding and firing one. As a firearms/CCW instructor and avid action shooting competitor, I should have known better. But there's nothing like being proved blatantly wrong to facilitate a change in attitude.

I don't know what kind of experience you have with handguns, but your welcome to come out with me sometime and I'll bring a dozen different handguns for you to try out.

Good luck.

P.S.

I thought I had accidentally jumped over to http://www.calguns.net when I clicked on this thread... :P