HybridZ

taurus vs. ebay fans

m1ghtymaxXx

I am doing an intercooler install in a 280zxt, and will need to get rid of the stock fan and shroud to fit a charge pipe between the rad and motor. I was originally thinking of the taurus fan as there a dime an dozen in junkyards, and I imagine they're not too expensive.

Browsing around ebay though there are lots for dirt cheap. I was wondering if anyone has experience with them, and whether or not they are worth it.

heres a few examples:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/16-Curved-Blade-Reversible-Electric-Fan-w-Mount-Kit_W0QQitemZ190179876960QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190179876960

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9-inch-Electric-Cooling-Fan-W-Mount-Kit_W0QQitemZ320189035777QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320189035777

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10-Curved-Blade-Reversible-Electric-Fan-w-Mount-Kit_W0QQitemZ190180139359QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190180139359

Another concern is whether or not the taurus shroud will actually buy me enough room for a charge pipe (I have yet to look at one in person).

And for the ebay fans, what sort of diameters and CFM's should I be looking for?

I was thinking of dual 10's without a shroud, but not sure how my alternator would handle it.

This has been discussed in length. But rather than searching for you, or telling you to search, I will just give you the gist of it and my experience with the taurus fan.

The only way I got the 2 speed taurus fan to fit initially was on the front of the radiator as a pusher. It blew hard, and it cooled, but I didn't have it mounted flush against the radiator, so It spent alot of time on.

The next time i tried putting it on behind the radiator, it wouldn't clear the balancer, so i cut it up. I left about 2 plastic supports holding the motor to the rest of the shroud, and most of the shroud was gone.

I eventually ended up with a one speed 14" electric fan that mounts with zipties. It WORKS.

Moral of the story: don't get caught up using something thats cheap, but will require several mods to make work, when you can get something that will do the job more efficiently, but only costs a little bit more.

This has been discussed in length. But rather than searching for you, or telling you to search, I will just give you the gist of it and my experience with the taurus fan.

The only way I got the 2 speed taurus fan to fit initially was on the front of the radiator as a pusher. It blew hard, and it cooled, but I didn't have it mounted flush against the radiator, so It spent alot of time on.

The next time i tried putting it on behind the radiator, it wouldn't clear the balancer, so i cut it up. I left about 2 plastic supports holding the motor to the rest of the shroud, and most of the shroud was gone.

I eventually ended up with a one speed 14" electric fan that mounts with zipties. It WORKS.

Moral of the story: don't get caught up using something thats cheap, but will require several mods to make work, when you can get something that will do the job more efficiently, but only costs a little bit more.

I agree with everything olie said. Mine required too much modification and is too tight to be justifiable (1978 280Z). Next time I would just go with an aftermarket fan. That fan does blow hard though...

I did search. I could find lots on the taurus fan, but couldn't find any threads about people using the generic ebay fans.

Does anyone have dimensions for the taurus fan and shroud?

And my main concern with the ebay fans is reliability. I'd hate to be stranded because it burned out on me. I can't see it moving less air then a name brand unit, and it wouldn't be hard to bend up a simple shroud out aluminum if it doesn't draw enough air through the rad on its own.

I run a 16" curved blade off ebay. I have it on a shroud off a 77Z. I had to make some braces to hang the shroud. I still have a bit of a heat problem. but I need more radiator, It's a single core stealth. I have JTR install and there plenty of room. I would put it on a thermo switch. I haven't yet. and it only takes a small brain fart to warm her up.

I'm running 2 12" ebay fans side by side without a shroud and unless I have the AC on in summer stop/go traffic, they move enough air to keep things cool. I initially used 2 10" fans, but they were marginal on a warm day.

I went with 2 smaller fans instead of 1 larger for 2 reasons:

1) if one failed, at least I'd still have some cooling.

2) with the 4 core radiator, the space between the 16" fan and the front of the engine was marginal. (I have the AC compressor on the lower left side so I couldn't fit the Taurus fan at all.)

I would not bother with the 9 or 10" fans. The 12" ones fit well and cost just a bit more.

Be warned, some ebay fans can be VERY loud. I have maradyne fans. While I cannot complain about performance, they are embarrasingly loud.

Ask anyone who saw my S14 at SEZ last year.

haha... yes his car sounds like a small jet engine coming towards you in the parking lot. The fan was easily louder than his engine at idle.

You commin back to SEZ (DNI) this year?

I use Hayden aftermarket fans. You can get them from Oreilly Auto Parts for $50 (10") $60 (16"). I've run two 10"s on all my z's and never have overheating problems even with a/c and houston weather on my 280zx. While you are there for $30 you can pick up an adjustable fan control. IT works great and you won't have your fans on all the time.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll go for dual ebay fans. My biggest worry with them is reliability and draw on the electrical system. I can live with noise, its not like the stock fan isn't noisy either (sounds like a school bus on light acceleration with stock exhaust).

A few of these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12-S-BLADE-ELECTRIC-FAN-1200CFM-REVERSIBLE_W0QQitemZ200178826864QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200178826864

I think I'll go for it, for 30$ for 2 I can't go too wrong.

Also, when using fans, can only one controller be used? What controllers are recommended? I'm on a tight budget, but obviously reliability is a must..

That's the same fan I am using, just from a different seller. You can control both fans from a single controller. You wire them in parallel which means the red wires from both fans are connected together and then to the relay, and the black wires are also connected together and then to ground.

Before I switched to megasquirt which can control the fan by itself, I used a Hayden 3651 controller which includes a sensor that mounts in the thermostat housing and allows you set the temperature at which the fan turns on. I prefer that to a sensor that mounts in the radiator fins as that's not as mechanically secure. I still have the Hayden controller - PM me if you're interested.

I'd be careful about using the plastic ties that come with the fans. They place the weight of the fans onto the fins and tubes of the radiator which aren't designed to carry a load. I did that when I first mounted mine and 6 months later I had 2 leaks. This is on an MSA 4 row rad that is now about 3 years old. 2 of the ties had come loose which probably contributed.

I just had it fixed and changed the mounting arrangement as you can see in these pictures. I used this approach earlier with good success. The load is carried by the aluminum angle bars and the fans are held snug against the radiator. The spacers were cut from some aluminum tube I found at home depot.

Resize of P1000605_thumb.JPG

Resize of P1000606_thumb.JPG

Resize of P1000607_thumb.JPG

LOL those are the same fans I have. I think they are louder because I set them up as pushers.

S14.. requesting permission to take off.

The fans were WAY louder then my motor at idle. Granted I was running a PAIR of fans. I have since yanked the relay on one, and moved the temp sensor so it cycles on and off.

Its much less annoying now.

Word to the wise, use the same temp sensor but two relays. I had a relay fail in my car and damn near overheated in traffic. It was also too much current draw and the relays got excessively hot.

Also, fuse both power leads seperately and I do NOT reccomend using the circuit breakers that come with the kits. Wire up fuses. You will know when one fan dies on your, its much quieter.

I had my circuit breaker continually tripping for no reason, leaving me fanless.

Just a few tips, wanted to save you some headache.

Current draw for two fans is pretty high too. My idle pulls down when they come on.

Evan

Yes, I am going to try to make it to SEZ again! Maybe this time ill turn the heat off in my car to make the ride more bearable!

I put the fans in at the beginning of last summer and they've been fine.

The main problem with the way mine are mounted is that when the car is stationary, the air only flows over the fines directly in front of the fans. A shroud could significantly improve that. But that kind of metal fabrication is beyond my skills and tools. Please post pictures of yours.

I put the fans in at the beginning of last summer and they've been fine.

The main problem with the way mine are mounted is that when the car is stationary, the air only flows over the fines directly in front of the fans. A shroud could significantly improve that. But that kind of metal fabrication is beyond my skills and tools. Please post pictures of yours.

Shrouds help dramatically, but i do really like your mounting method! looks very effective and secure.

evan

Word to the wise, use the same temp sensor but two relays. I had a relay fail in my car and damn near overheated in traffic. It was also too much current draw and the relays got excessively hot.

FWIW, these fans pull less than 10 amps each (IIRC, they're rated at about 8 amps) so running both off a single 30A relay should be fine. Evan, I'm going to guess that you had bigger fans or a lower rating on your relay.

Also, unless this ebay seller is different than mine, all you get is the fan. There is no install kit so you'll have to set that up yourself. That's not hard to do, a 30A relay is ~$5 at radio shack, and a 30A fuse holder is ~$2. Make sure you use heavy gauge wire (at least 14 gauge) and make good clean crimps (connections). The low budget method is to use a switch in the cabin to turn them on manually. I'm not a fan of that since it's easy to forget and then bad things happen. But it is cheap!