HybridZ

r-180 rebuild

badassbowtie

You might be able to download the FSM from http://www.carfiche.com.

Above and beyond that, I'm wondering why you're bothering. You should be able to find an R180 that doesn't need rebuilding for less than 1/2 of what the bearings will cost you, and if you're building a badass bowtie you probably want an R200.

Side bearings and seals are available from the usual suspect parts houses. The lash is adjusted with shims on the side bearing carriers. You may get lucky and be able to use the old shims with the new bearings. In my case I had a second set of shims from another r180 and by combining the 2 sets was able to get the lash set correctly. I don't think the shims are available from Nissan anymore (someone please correct me if I'm mistaken).

Make sure you notice that the shims are not all the same thickness.

As for the pinion gear, if you haven't already dissassembled that, you might want to leave it alone unless there's something wrong. Mine was fine so I didn't have to mess with it, but I understand it's not trivial to set the preload with the crush washers. Again, the FSM would be your best source for how to do that.

Shop around for the parts, especially the gasket for the diff cover. I found huge variations in price for the exact same parts between Checker, Autozone, and Napa last summer when I did mine. Good luck!

I know the r-180 is weak but I need something to get the car rolling and I feel more comfortable with it rebuilt. Call me crazy, I want to get more experience tearing into dfferentals. I am spending all my money on my small chevy swap. I will get a better differental in the future. It had been leaking out of the cover and was caked with dirt. So I figured the fluid was low and that is not good for gears and bearings. I have all the bearings and seals lined up from shucks accept the carrier bearings and the third pinion bearing for 85 bucks.

I did notice the shims and kept them in the correct order for each side, I am hoping they will put the carrier in the correct place with the new bearings. The front bearing is very pitted so I am glad I took it apart. Thanks for the tip on the cover gasket, have not looked into it yet.

Thanks for all the good info

I got all my parts from Motorsport Auto (MSA) Sal ordered them for me. He had a hard time finding the inner pinion bearing. I would not do it again, don’t think I gained anything from doing it except learning what a pain in the #$%$^ it was. I was installing a Quaiffe which doesn’t fit back into the diff housing with the side bearings installed. You have to press them on through the side holes. You then check the pinion height to find out it needs adjustment, how do you get the side bearings back off to remove the diff and get the pinion back out to shim it? Many hours of work that’s how. I had to make a special puller. Learn from our mistakes, don’t fix what ain’t broke.

Good Luck

I am not putting in a Quaiffe carrier so I dont think it will be to big of a problem. I need to find the three bearings I need and get it back together. I will check out MSA and see if they have any bearings. Couple of the old berings are pitted and gritty feeling so it needed to be rebuilt. The fluid was very black and not much came out, the ring and pinion are in good shape.

You can also check http://www.timken.com. In the R200 it's the ball bearing at the front of the pinion shaft that always goes bad. It's a Nissan specific bearing and I think it's NLA. Hopefully they used a "standard" bearing for the R180. Before you dump a bunch of cash in bearings, consider the cost of buying a good used diff.