HybridZ

Bumperless s130

RayG1988

I know the ratio in my '79 ZXR is much different than my buddy's 80 ZX 2 seater 5spd... @ 75mph I'm only turning around 2800 rpm where his car turns around 3400 rpm in 5th gear I have verified that 75 IS 75 via GPS unit but havn't had the GPS in the car since then, guess I need to put it back together and see then.

the car DID alot of floating with the stock suspension (and ZXR Wing missing) but with the 2" drop (tokicos) it DRASTICALLY reduces the floaty-ness ,after the Re-installation of the ZXR wing its never felt like it was even CLOSE to floating around

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeamNissan
Ok, here we go.

Test 1:

3.364 rear

79' 5 speed

OEM 195/70/14 Tire

=

114MPH at 5209RPM in 4th gear

114MPH at 4500RPM in 5th gear

Test 2

3.364 rear

81-83 5 speed

OEM 195/70/14 Tire

=

132 at 6031RPM in 4th gear

132 at 4493RPM in 5th gear

In some other threads here there's been talk about how optimistic most stop speedos are, and how there's all sorts of people that say that they did X top speed when in reality they most likely did 80-90% of that tops.

I've been to 4500RPM in my 81ZX and it didn't feel like the verified via GPS 140 I've done in other cars. The car did float quite a bit though, which kept me from pressing in harder. I have no doubt that those cars have the ability to hit at least 5500rpm in 5th even in stock form, which would put you around 140mph.

Thank you lol

Well when I was looking into the ZXR diff ratios I couldn't find ANY concrete information. I'd be interesting to find out what your car has for a diff and tranny.

As far as I knew the ZXR was mostly a production car they put the wing and decals onto. If they actually had a super low gear ratio that might be something work having information on.

I know the ratio in my '79 ZXR is much different than my buddy's 80 ZX 2 seater 5spd... @ 75mph I'm only turning around 2800 rpm where his car turns around 3400 rpm in 5th gear I have verified that 75 IS 75 via GPS unit but havn't had the GPS in the car since then, guess I need to put it back together and see then.

the car DID alot of floating with the stock suspension (and ZXR Wing missing) but with the 2" drop (tokicos) it DRASTICALLY reduces the floaty-ness ,after the Re-installation of the ZXR wing its never felt like it was even CLOSE to floating around

Ok i agree on the floatiness USDM models of the s130 even suck when they are new the spring rate and the sway bars are thinner.

The feel like caddilacs!

Next to that they EU Model, witch even has different engine in NA form ( f54 ‘domed’ flat top pistons p90, no cat o2 crap egr) and in turbo (different ECU no o2 different dizzy .82 exhaust housing 3.3 stock rear end etc), It is MUCH lighter ( no AC power windows etc).

It also has aero improvements like a front airdam and tail..

With all due respect and mind you I have ZXR aswel .. Witch is nothing more than a silver base ZX with a Japanese L hatch ( no wiper) with a big rubber twat on the back and some OEM rice..

I call BS! 172 is utterly impossible It is the top speed of my Stock eurospec turbo.. no way in hell a stock USDM ZX would do this even going down hill! UNLESS you have 2.11 gearing witch your power curve would not handle in 5th

Next to that not even my BRAND spanking new BMW is that accurate on the speedo!! .. even worse i notice diffrence in tire wear at high speed!

BMW is know for accurate speedometers and itis off.. at 251kmh im doing 243 according to my gps...

I have a 'few' zx's and NONE of them is accurate to the extend you provide

(mind you we have speedometers tot 200kmh/240/ and 270 kmh depinding on model etc)

Next it becomes even better;

'I have no doubt in my mind that with headlight covers and uped compression and more fuel she COULD see 200mph on a wide open run'

YOU should take that car to saltflats .. 200 MPH!! really not in 200 years! maybe with 20:1 compression running on warp core.. but not with any NA L engine... in a street car

Im sorry if i soudn like a jerk

I just have a hard time believing the info you provide here.

like I said... it took a long run to get to max out, I was only told we hit 172 by the vette driver, I never saw his speedo readout, he could have lied to me.

as for the powerband, with the cam I've got it is a much different poweband than it was in stock form, it pulls hard all the way up then REALLY pulls hard around 3600 (went from a 16 sec to a 14 sec in the 1/4 mile)

for the record I do intend to take the car to the salt flats as soon as I finish my current build... I won't be allowed to do an official timed pass because I wont have all the proper saftey equipment, but I do intend on taking a GPS unit, and I will find out for sure.

as for your ZXR, we've already gone through the discussion that mine has some veriables from yours, as I've said before my car lacks all the sound deadening material on the inside of the car, none of that tar-like spray exists in the floors like it did my 2+2 and turbo project, I can't find anything that would indicate that any of it was removed by any individual due to the fact that the paint on the floorboards is a perfect match to the body, and it seems like a pretty foolish thing to remove the material and re-finish the floor to send the car (not wrecked and still running) to an assumed eternity waiting for the crusher. I know for a fact the car sat for atleast 8 years in the yard, and it was a woman's car before that (I've met her and she knew very little about what the car actually was)

I've only been able to go by the differences between my '79 2+2, my 79 with 83 L28ET swapped, and my buddies '80. I know stock my ZXR had a much better cruising RPM than the other cars I had, and would easily outrun the other 2 n/a cars... after the header/cam install it pulled just as hard as my turbo on 10 lbs but without lag, thus I decided to scrap the turbo idea and build an all motor car.

I really wish I was able to talk to MORE ZXR owners just to find out if there are other variences between more than just 2 cars, as your the only other owner I've been able to continuously communicate with.

(wow this turned into a long post)

mom'sz wrote: Roger at the Zbarn taught me how to identify the 5 speeds by looking at the tail shaft area. The early 5 speeds like those that came in a 280z have a steel collar around the end of the tail shaft (where the driveshaft comes out) The later 5 speeds like those that came in a 280ZX don't have the steel collar, that area is just plain cast aluminum. BTW he also told me the 79 ZX came with the earlier style and the later style wasn't available until 1980.

I assume this is correct?

If you want concrete information about top speed runs talk to tony D, he knows his stuff.

You MUST realise that top speed isn't as much about power and weight as it is aerodynamics. More power can push more air, which will increase the top speed on a given body. Weght will change how fast you get there, but doesn't have a dramatic effect on actual top speed. This is why super heavy exotics still reach 200+ mph, they're just not nearly as quick at getting there as lighter supercars.

Main factor is aero, and I have a hard time believing the 280ZX in stock form could ever hit 150, and even in a HEAVILY modified arena hit 200mph. I'd say with some well engineered body modifications you should be able to reach 160 or so. But that's just speculation.

Also, what body style was the vette? I've raced some vettes in the past that don't go very high on the speedo. There's a good chance he was guessing, and then inflating the speed as well.

I won't say BS, because you're just reporting what he said. I do believe it's a bit optimistic of you, that's all.

it was an 04 C5 corvette (not Z06)

and yes the transmission from Z barn is correct about the collar.

I suppose it is a bit optimistic for me to follow what I was told. and I know its all about aerodynamics aswell as what speeds feel like. a couple years back I was playing around on the Natches Trace (south of Nashville TN) wich is a nice road full of high speed style sweepers, and was clocked at 132mph while on the brakes cause I saw the cop before I crested the hill (I've got the ticket to prove this one) and I know pacing the vette I was moving MUCH faster than I was on the trace

I got lucky on that ticket because the judge threw it out because he believed the same as the general concensus, that the car was not capable of such speeds, especially in the curves.

like I said, given this ticket that tells me I was doing 132 in 4th gear (also a dyno pull at school where they waved me off for "over speeding my tire rating (H rated=130)" at about 3700rpm in 4th... I've got every reason to beleive the driver of the vette at this point.

theres no way a stock zx could run even a 14.2, that motor in your zx-r probably had higher compression than stock. i rebuilt my zx motor, and put a cam in it, and i was only able to run high 15's, no difference from my stock cam, accept my powerband was higher. i ran 140 in my car, but i have alot of headwork, and ive adjusted my cam and ignition timeing, and alot of othe rgoodies i dont have room to list, and im still in the 15's, what are the numbers on your head and block zx-rkid?

Ya i understand what you said, im not attacking you, it just sounds like you did the same thing to yours as mine is, and cams dotn really do anything unless teh compression is bumped up, and if it took 2 seconds off your quartermile, then your compression is not stock. i put a cam in and it didnt change my quartermile at all.

Guest Not_Nissan
I still prefer to have a bumper on it. It looks ok, bumperless, but I think it looks better with the bumper and an airdam.

12386p_iton_05.jpg

Best looking 2+2 Ive seen