HybridZ

r32 box on a l28 (l20) NO adaptor!!!! pics

frank280zx

Frank this is covered on this site with the 240sx gearbox conversion. The RB box is the same as in FS5W71C the difference is the RB box is the same length as the FS5W71B box so no drive shaft mods. If however you have a early 240z that was fitted with an A box originally then the gear lever is too far forward and you need a big bend in it to work. If however you have the later 240z/260z/280z or in your case a 280zx which were designed for the B box and the gear lever is in the same spot as these RB units (this is the reason for the console change in the 240z I believe)

I have an RB box with a L series bellhousing on it for the 260z and a S13 (a 180sx or 200sx or Silvia box in my part of the world) for the 71 240z as the longer tail will put the gear leaver in a better location (these boxes are 50mm longer than the RB boxes so the lever comes back 50mm = no bend a straight lever is used)

So for English version just search here for the 240sx gearbox - same result just shorter tail section if you use the RB box = perfect for the 280zx :)

to make this clear folks, it's an RB20 Box, not just any R32 box.

The RB20 box is a form of the FS5W17C, like NZeder pointed out.

The C Transmission just has some synchronizers and some improvements that the A and B did not have.

Saying that an RB Transmission fits on the L28 bellhousing would imply that the FS5R30A (Nissans strongest transmission) would fit on the L28 bell housing.

In that case, so would the RB26DETT all wheel drive transmission, RB25 RWD Transmissions, and the 87 - 96 300zx Turbo transmissions. But sadly that's not the case, or not as easy as a bell housing swap.

Just trying to clear things up.

to make this clear folks, it's an RB20 Box, not just any R32 box.

The RB20 box is a form of the FS5W17C, like NZeder pointed out.

The C Transmission just has some synchronizers and some improvements that the A and B did not have.

Saying that an RB Transmission fits on the L28 bellhousing would imply that the FS5R30A (Nissans strongest transmission) would fit on the L28 bell housing.

In that case, so would the RB26DETT all wheel drive transmission, RB25 RWD Transmissions, and the 87 - 96 300zx Turbo transmissions. But sadly that's not the case, or not as easy as a bell housing swap.

Just trying to clear things up.

Good point I should have put RWD only RB boxes as they are all (I have not seen a different manual yet) FS5W71C, that is RB20E, RB20DE, RB30E, RB20DET, RB30ET, RB25DE.

But not the RB25DET or the AWD gearboxes these are different animals all together.

Good point I should have put RWD only RB boxes as they are all (I have not seen a different manual yet) FS5W71C, that is RB20E, RB20DE, RB30E, RB20DET, RB30ET, RB25DE.

But not the RB25DET or the AWD gearboxes these are different animals all together.

Not the RB30ET box either, that and the the RB30E are completely different, the former belonging to the Nissan 'bigbox' family. RB30ET box is similar to the VG30ET one.