my 1jz 260z

timbo1jz

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Tokico HP shocks do not have enough rebound to control to handle a spring rate above about 215 lb. in. The spring will oscillate after bumps reducing traction. In addition, the rebound valve stack will fail very quickly and the shock will be junk. The Tokico Illuminas cannot handle that high spring rate either. If you're dead set on 300 lb. in. springs (which is a lot of spring for a street driven S30) you'll need Tokico HTS, Bilstien, or Koni shocks.

thanks for the info John. I know you are the suspension expert. I guess I'll see how it goes and if the shocks fail then I get something else, or change my spring rates. I got these springs, because I like a stiff ride. But for now, they will work.

Here are a few more pics of the whole car. It badly needs a BRE type spoiler in the rear I think, so that is definitely on the list.
When ever I see a BRE spoiler I think "1970's Camaro". Not sure which came first the spoiler on the Camaro or the BRE, but that has always been my mental image. I think the car looks great the way it IS!!!

Cant wait to see a video of it running. Another guy here in AZ just bought a 1JZ and 5 speed, cant wait to see that one go together, too.

well, I got my custom driveshaft. This thing is supposed to be basically bulletproof. Fits perfectly with no clearance issues at all. Some info for you guys, the toyota yoke and joint and also my infinity q45 yoke were non serviceable, so they guy had to find some stuff to use instead. I think he used Spicer stuff. So don't waste your time trying to use the factory joints.

Here are a few pics.

260zzz173.jpg

260zzz174.jpg

260zzz175.jpg

I was able to finish and mount the exhaust today since I got the driveshaft in. The exhaust tucks up perfectly and has lots of ground clearance. I painted it flat black so it doesn't attract too much attention even though its a full 3" turboback. Here are a couple of pics-

260zzz178.jpg

260zzz182.jpg

260zzz179.jpg

Well, I was going to use the Toyota Soarer shifter housing, but I actually like having the shifter a couple inches foward. It feels like it is in a good position for me. So I just welded in a plate to fix the shifter hole, and I need to take a trip to the junk yard to find a good boot and insulator from another car that will work well with this. Some pics-

260zzz190.jpg

260zzz192.jpg

260zzz198.jpg

Cool. You're really coming along now and are nearing the end of the beginning. I'm still at the beginning of the beginning :(

Regarding the Soarer extension, are you talking about the piece that only extends it another inch or so? Or the really long one from the later Soarers, I believe, that is about 4" longer?

Either way, if you actually had the part already, I'm interested in buying it off you.

I am talking about the one that extends it about an inch or so, its the one the guys use for their s300's w/ r154 trans from a supra. I never purchased the piece, so I don't have one I can sell you. I just flipped my short shifter around backwards and now it feels like a perfect reach. You can buy one from my buddy Aaron at Driftmotion.com , as he sells a custom extension for the r154.

I am talking about the one that extends it about an inch or so, its the one the guys use for their s300's w/ r154 trans from a supra. I never purchased the piece, so I don't have one I can sell you. I just flipped my short shifter around backwards and now it feels like a perfect reach. You can buy one from my buddy Aaron at Driftmotion.com , as he sells a custom extension for the r154.

Yikes! Thanks for the tip, but that is a grossly overpriced piece! Holy crap! I had heard they were selling them, but they're just offering a $50 service for $300!!

They're generally reasonably priced but sheesh! I'll just have my friend at Boost Logic weld the aluminum for me if I need more than an inch. He does all of their welding and fabrication, as point of interest.

just letting you know, that the shifter extension is not needed, especially if you flip the shifter around. yah its overpriced, but who else makes one, and good luck finding one from a soarer trans as they are very rare. You need to figure in the price, and the amount of work and fabrication included in this piece to make this from a piece of aluminum. Driftmotion kicks ass!!!!

just letting you know, that the shifter extension is not needed, especially if you flip the shifter around. yah its overpriced, but who else makes one, and good luck finding one from a soarer trans as they are very rare. You need to figure in the price, and the amount of work and fabrication included in this piece to make this from a piece of aluminum. Driftmotion kicks ass!!!!

The short Soarer 1" extensions (two parts) are $80 from Toyota. The parts to make the piece Driftmotion sells come out to about $15 for the average consumer. There's very little fabrication involved and it doesn't have to be "machinist perfect," just very close. But I suppose they're catering to the Lexus and Supra crowd so they can charge that. $150 is on the high end of reasonable for a piece that looks like someone put together in their garage with some scrap square tube aluminum and Alumaweld. If they cast their own single pieces so it looks a bit like OEM, I could see $250 for that.

Otherwise, I agree - they rock.

I agree!! mine fits perfect, even with full interior...just fip around the shifter to make the throw closer..bam done!!! Just a warning though i think my engine is a inch or two closer than timbo...might have to trim your console little...

I agree!! mine fits perfect, even with full interior...just fip around the shifter to make the throw closer..bam done!!! Just a warning though i think my engine is a inch or two closer than timbo...might have to trim your console little...

I've heard this a couple times in the past few days and it doesn't make sense to me. Wasn't it oriented that way in the Supras? That's the way I received mine.

Timbo, if I haven't said it in this thread or in awhile, your car is looking great! I appreciate your documentation, too. Rock on!

dam your build is amazing, straight up motivation!!

I have so many questions i dont know where to start

i have a 73 240z working on restro right now debating sr20 or a 1jz or 2jz

where did you get your axles cuz i have a q45 lsd diff and i can't find the axles