HybridZ

Rattle can wheel painting?

cygnusx1

I am about to put the snow wheels on my WRX to get ready for the storm. The wheels are original WRX painted silver clear-coat from the factory with years of pitting and flaking. I want to spray them flat black or flat dark gray. How should I prep the wheels before the rattle can job. I'm not looking for a great finish or anything. I just want a quick color change to hide the pitting and flaking. Should I rub them with scouring pads and then alcohol wipe them first?

A buddy of mine did a rattle can job on his srt4 wheels. What he did was sand them down until the clear coat was completely gone. After that he sprayed them down with a few coats of black & then a few coats of clear.

Rims still look good until this day, except for one because he was really smart and tried to clean it a couple of days later and it hadn't completely cured yet (I guess that's why).

Hope this helps a bit.

I scraped off the pitting paint with a steel chisel, then I scrubbed them for about 10 minutes each with a scotchbrite pad. I wiped them down with alcohol. I warmed up the wheels and rattle can with a hair dryer because it was cold in the garage. It took just a little over one can to do all four wheels with about three coats of semi-gloss black duplicolor. I didn't even mask off the tires and they look great. Unfortunately, the semi-gloss is more glossy than I would like, and up close you can see the pitting underneath. Not really a big deal. I might buy a can of flat black and go over them again next season. I will post a pic later. We are supposed to get about 10-12" of snow today and I have an hour drive home so the pics might be snowy.