HybridZ

snowboarding?

wickiewicked240z

thats a fairly tall board for your height, especially for a beginner. although if you think you're still growing than it should be fine. Im not familiar with the M3 board, however i do know solomon makes some excellent boots. You'd be surprised by how much difference a good pair of boots can make.

Also good on ya for taking lessons. Most people don't and it haunts them later on. (i took lessons, for two years in a row actually and never regretted it). I also taught snowboarding a couple years back for a season. If you need any tips or have any questions let me know. One other thing i would highly recommend is a helmet. Thankfully i ride on a mountain where helmets are actually quite fashionable. But it is a very good investment. I still ride with mine and don't think twice about it.

Good luck!

Set up will be the riders preference and it may take some time before you find what you like. For instance Im goofy and ride duck.

Just learn to ride heel & Toe and your learning curve will be much quicker.

Its a great sport, 2 years ago I boarded the Alps ....an experience I will always remember!

Enjoy!

That is pretty good. it is a little too big but it will be a little easier to balance on. friday and next week is pretty good to snowboard. I never really took any lesson so I am fairly not good with any of the terms but heel and toe is def to learn. also learn how to fall, falling on your butt is better than your face believe me. if anything just pm me. good luck and stay safe

Today was my second time snowboarding and first time with the new board. the board felt good. My brother and I decide that for our second time snowboarding we should do the summit Run at snow summit. Even though I don't now how to snow board on my toes just did the falling leaf on my heels all the way down i believe is about 1,000 ft from the top of the mountain to the base. I might take a private lesson next time to learn the falling leaf but with my toes and learn how to do turns without losing to much speed.. An to start the day on my first run on the beginners lift my toe edge got caught on the icy snow and went flying falling flat on my face scratching my chin. But other than that it was a awsome day.

awesome, sounds like you had a fun day, other than that first run mishap.

For your next time i'd suggest getting a lesson and having them work with you on transitioning from edge to edge. Sounds like your balance and such is great for a beginner.

If you can't do a lesson, just remember to keep the weight on your front foot, and your board will turn itself. (falling leaf teaches you to transition weight front to rear, which you don't really want)

Then once your board is straight down the hill, you can just press your toes (heels) in and your board will turn...then alakazam! you're snowboarding lol.

Good luck! im hopefully going on thursday to my home mountain...i can't wait!

Try this simple technique...stand across a good slope facing down.

Cross your arms on you chest.

Now with your front foot press down with your toes and with your back foot pull up with your toes. Your board should turn towards your front toes...down the hill.

Now reverse the toe thing...front toes up ..rear toes down. The board will turn the other way and you will be in the position you started in.

If you practice this for an hour you will start to get the feel of it and will be sssssssssssing down the slope in now time. I bought a nice flexible K2 a few years ago and am having a great time. My 44 year old bod doesnt take well to the half pipe but I hit the odd jump and enjoy. I guess the key in my case was board flexibility allowed me a smooth easy ride.

A bit simplified but thats the basics.... Have a blast and keep it up. You will be surprised how quickly the learning curve gets once you get the basics.

Jerry

Or you can learn the way i did...

Crashing your way down the mountain at full speed for an entire day because your friends wont wait for you. I had a few crashes that day where i would land hundreds of feet from where the rolling started with my gloves and hat strewn across the mountain. That was a good day.

If you find yourself riding your edge a lot that is fine. Just try to practice transitioning from one edge to the other, eventually this will start to feel more natural and before you know it you will have the confidence required to start spending more time going straight down.

• 1 month later...

Well going back to big bear this weekend for the 7th time and this is going to be my 3rd lesson 1hour private. I have the basic stuff down heel, toe edging and liking turns. I been all over the mountain except for the expert trails. I want to start doing some jumps just the small ones and carving. Just wanted to know how to ollie on the jumps and how to carve. So I can have and idea on how to do it. Also i have been thinking of buying a helmet at more than $100 i want to get something thats is not to big and is light with audio ear plugs since i like listening to music while on the trails to pump me up.

I've been boarding since the early days, I think I started around 89-90..

Stick to the intermediate slopes, No beginner(too slow to have any stability) No Expert( too much speed & usually moguled out)

FORGET THE LESSONS... spend that $ on a another day riding back to back days, you will gain tons of knowledge just by being able to put to use what you learned yesterday..

ACCEPT the SPEED thats the other key, most beginners can't compute the accelleration factor of a snowboard.

Also don't worry about what length the board is just make sure your choosen stance is comfortable & stable feeling. general things about length hold true.( Longer = faster & stable , Shorter = less stability but easier tricks )

but are unimportant at your level as long as it's medium in length 150's -160's your all good

Enjoy it while your young and your joints can take it.. I went boarding a few weeks back after we got that good dump..My hip & knee was killing the next day

My prime days at Bear & Summit back in the day where well worth it !

Have fun.

Another thought is they don't call it JUMPING for nothing.. I always see people just riding off the lip.. not putting forth any effort. You gotta jump off ! Don't let the Mountain/Lip dictate what is going to happen, MAKE it happen.

hey wickie, I'll be going to snow summit this weekend from the 25-27th as well.

I've been skiing for about 3 years now and this season I tried snowboarding. I picked it up REALLY fast and on the 2nd day I was flying down summit run, miracle mile, log chute, and some more hidden runs on the west side of the mountain with falling maybe 2-3 times down the mountain.

Honestly when I try to teach my friends to ski or snowboard, it's not that they have such a big problem with balance or if they are out of shape or not, it's fear. So many people have such low confidence in their abilities to snowboard/ski that when they start going at a relatively quick speed they start to freak out and just tell themselves "Ohhh man I'm gonna fall!!!"

Honestly if you have courage and your not afraid to try things(nothing stupid!) you can pick up snowboarding quickly. I think this is the reason why I was able to pick up snowboarding on the 2nd day without any lessons. Plus I'm sure my previous skiing experience helps.

I was able to go on the lift with a patroller toward the end of the first day of me snowboarding. I was able to switch from goofy to regular easily, and can go down the mountain on heels, but every time I tried S carves I kept catching an edge and falling, painfully. So I asked him how to stop catching edges, he simply said to put more weight down on your front foot when turning and to bend your knee's more. I tried this and wallah, S curves were instantly doable. I also asked him for some tips on getting off the lift, cause I still had some trouble with that. He said just look up and where your going, not at the floor. Once again it made a world of a difference and after that I can get off lifts with confidence.

If your not going with some buddies I'm sure we can arrange to meet up and snowboard together. If the others are up to it, I want to go night time on friday, if that doesn't happen we'll be on the slopes on saturday for sure. Probably during the day but there is a chance we will go night time again. I love going during the night, the slopes are empty and the ones that are riding ride GOOD. Plus it's cheaper! hehe

• 3 weeks later...

Did you get that helmet? If not please get one!!!!

I have talked to a few guys that started wearing them after their first big fall...usually they dont remember being carried off the slopes...just waking up in the hospital. Get one before you scramble the gray matter!

A couple of weeks ago I was doing 360s (more like spinning) down a steeper hill than I normally try on. On my seventh turn I caught my back edge and BAM! ...Dang I was glad I had a helmet on. I just dont bounce as well as I use to.....LOL.

Glad to hear its coming together for you!