HybridZ

Stroker Sticker Shock

ArnZ

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually have not made any calls yet, I have been focusing on getting the car ready for the booth. Allocating the remainder of soft parts and small details.

I planned on using forged pistons from the get go, but these guys know thier stuff and said the cast would be fine. I think that I would sleep better with forged. I don't see saving $ there is a good idea.

My Engine:

Recently completed fully rebuilt with the following specs:

JE 8.0:1 Forged Pistons

240Z 9mm rods shotpeened and individually balanced

LD28 crank

HKS Metal Head Gasket

Whitehead Performance Port and Polished Head

Ceramic coated the piston domes and skirts

Ceramic coated the combustion chambers of the head

Ceramic coated the exhaust ports of the head

Diamond Like Coating (DLC) on the wirst pins

Web Turbo Grind Cam

Speed Shop Thagard T3/T4 Turbo

Ceramic Coated SFP exhaust Header

TiAL 35mm Wastegate

JeffP 3in Downpipe

ARP Head Studs, ARP Studded Bottom End & ARP Rod Bolts

Custom Made "1-Off" Intake Manifold by JamieT

BMW 67mm Throttle Body

Huge Oil Cooler

Custom Made "1-Off" Corky Bell Intercooler

Haltech E6K Engine Management

JSK fuel rail with 550cc RC injectors

Aeromotive FPR

Braided lines and lots and lots of Earls fittings

Autometer gauges - Boost, Oil Temp, Oil Press, Engine Temp, EGT & AEM Wideband

Clutch Specialties 240mm 6 puck Clutch

Arizona Z car Aluminum radiator

Arizona Z Car 240mm 13lb Flywheel

For $2100 My Machine Shop:

1) Assembled the entire stroker block and also CC'd the head. That price alos incl. all the ceramic coating mentioned above.

I am not sure if that helps you or not.

287738091.jpg

Yasin

I planned on using forged pistons from the get go, but these guys know thier stuff and said the cast would be fine. I think that I would sleep better with forged. I don't see saving $ there is a good idea.

I agree - I just can't get away from the fact that if they are talking "cast is good enough" on the pistons, then you certainly don't need ~$5000 worth of head work. There is no reason a "normal" stroker buildup should have to cost that much.

There are plenty of other options out there that shouldn't cost anywhere near that.

Wow great engine! That intake looks better than my Webers(almost) Give me your address and the days nobody will be home. I would jump all over a $2100 machine and assembly job! I figured I assemble myself but I have never built a engine, I can "paint by numbers" but if I can find a deal like that, it's a no brainer.

ArnZ - Thanks! That engine is the result of collecting parts starting back in 2002! Yes..believe it or not, I knew at some stage I was going to build a fire breathing L motor so started buying parts here and there over the years.

I did get a good deal on the engine assembly as the machine shop owner and myself have become good friends.

Yasin

"Yes..believe it or not, I knew at some stage I was going to build a fire breathing L motor so started buying parts here and there over the years."

I started that process in 1985....I'm almost complete with the bits.

The 350HP blowthrough setup was just something 'to get me through till I get all the good parts', now 40K+ miles later I'm still not around to it, but then again, other things are getting in the way...like the 80 foot pine tree that blew over in my front yard last night...dammit!

"Yes..believe it or not, I knew at some stage I was going to build a fire breathing L motor so started buying parts here and there over the years."

I started that process in 1985....I'm almost complete with the bits.

The 350HP blowthrough setup was just something 'to get me through till I get all the good parts', now 40K+ miles later I'm still not around to it, but then again, other things are getting in the way...like the 80 foot pine tree that blew over in my front yard last night...dammit!

:mrgreen: Sounds familiar -I think it all started for me with a distributor recurve kit back in ~1980. First turbo setup was ~1987...

I don't think it'll ever be "done". At least I hope not...

I was not prepared to spend this for a mild stroker, I honestly thought that it would be about half of this amount being I am suppyling almost everything. Now what?

Labor performed to machine, assemble & balance 3.0 L

series motor

60hrs @ 120.00 7,200.00

Parts include, Rocker pivots, rocker arms, lash pads,

valves, valve seats, valve guides, seals, inner and outer

springs, cam up grade, all new gaskets and seals, all new

timing components, Oil pump, gears, guides and spindle,

up graded rod bearings, Block screen, main bolts, head

bolts w/ washers & dip stick. Does not include any

unforeseen parts.

Customer supplies rebuildable core motor with head including

89mm KA pistons, rods, stroker crank, Harmonic

balancer and flywheel.

$10,400.00

ArnZ:

Is that the actual and/or complete extent of a written quote you received from Sunbelt? I see no break-out of any time for custom head work for example. Or is it just the outcome of a phone conversation... talking in general terms?

Just curious... seems somewhat unlike Sunbelt...

Also what is your intent with the engine? Street use or Drag Racing? or???

FWIW,

Carl B.

That was a qoute after a 20 minute visit. Very vague, I see it as a "atleast this much" price. I really doesn't matter, I won't (can't) spend that kind of money.

I found this on e-bay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220185507737&rd=1

I asked the guy some questions as far the displacement and piston specs, (I assume he means JE) but I have not heard back from him.

1983 L28 F54 Short Block

Forged flat top G & E pistons

Total seal rings

Corillo rods

Knife edge diesel crank with ARP crank studs

Brand new engine

Never used

strokersb4.jpgstrokersb3.jpg

strokersb1.jpgstrokersb2.jpg