HybridZ

What car would you buy?

Gollum

Ok, I'm sorry to drag you guys into this, but my current life situation might have me buying a car in the near future and I needed advice.

The info:

Planning to get married within 2 years (nothing official, but things are looking up)

CA changed their smog testing. They now fill your tank with nitrogen to

check for pressure regulation to see if you have vapor leaks (majority of cars fail thus far)

Been playing more and more guitar around the bay area dispite now having a regular 40+h/week job. So cargo space is important.

Cheaper the better, but reliable would be nice. Should be able to spend around 6-10k without dying.

Comfort for the commute would be nice. I have about a 30 min commute each way, against traffic flow so it's pretty tolerable even with a heavy clutch.

Odds are if my 280ZX doesn't pass the new evap test when I get the turbo swap done I'm just gonna sell it. I'm sick and tired of these CA @#$%heads changing these laws forcing older cars off the roads. The new test make sense in some ways, but very little sense in the grand scheme of things. They should improve regulations on fuel systems, not force cars to meet unattainable standards.

If my 280ZX gets sold, I'm gonna need something ASAP, and idealy I'm thinking like an early 240Z for dirt cheap (less than 1.5k if I can) and use it as a commuter till I can get something newer and nicer.

Thus far I was thinking about a SVT Focus. There's actually a supercharged on on craigslist for 7k in great shape. Good cargo space, not hideous, decent power to weight, good mpg, etc.

Other things in that realm are kinda what I'm going for. 20+minimum mpg (otherwise I'll get a real sports car...) 4 seats would be nice, cargo space is important, price is important, overal feel of the car is important.

Any input would be appreciated.

As far as the sports car goes... I want to do a GRM $200X challange either in 08 or 09, not sure if I buy a 240Z that it would be the platorm, or if my 280ZX DOES pass smog maybe it can be the platform. Who knows. At any rate my long term future at my company will have an impact on what route I go with for a 'fun' car, be it a Z, or a FFR GTM.... :D

350Z (roadster).....You are in california and there are many on the streets at a good price to choose from. Until you decide on having that third family member ......live it up and meet those stringent laws.

Sorry.... Ive never been very practical...sort of selfish!

i used to be a ford tech-stay away from focus.in california you need a good basic car besides your hot rod.do not buy a modded late model car-they turn into a hole that sucks dollars.a musician-i am thinking honda crv or something like that.or 1 of those new style mini -wagons like like mazda 3 size.you probably need to fold down the seats-some of the new cars do not have a flat load floor when the seats are down.

sentra's always do me good, we've had plenty in my family. They can be had cheap even for only a couple years old. The recent body styles have been good too, .....except for the newest one.....but besides that. I recently looked at an 04? sentra, had a mild sound system, alloy wheels, but was automatic. They wanted like 10 for it, and it was a certified pre owned vehicle from nissan. You can get the 02-03's for next to nothing.

IMO, Globerunner513 hit the nail on the head. If you want a car that has all of the things you listed in your post, get a Subaru. They are extremely reliable and both the 2.5L and 2.5L Turbo models are very fun to drive. Plus, depending on what kind of space you need, you can go with either an Impreza, a Legacy, or a Forester. The initial price for a used Subie may be higher than for other cars, but if you make the initial investment, you will not regret it (you will not be paying as many repair bills and Subaru's have very good resale value). So, I think you just can't go wrong with a Subie.

I also very much agree with your choice of a FFR GTM. After sitting in the drivers seat of the one in the FFR showroom, the I decided I will have to own one at some point in my life.

Subaru. that is all

I like them a ton also. But they seem to be A LOT less popular outside of the snow belt. Try one, you might like it. Even in the CA sun. The wagons are very roomy and the new STI, although hokey looking, is very purposeful with a nice hatch area and a ton of HP. I would say 400+ hp with modest modding is easily achievable or stick with the regular WRX hatch for a more cushy and economical thrill.

For that price I've always been a fan of VWs. I bought a 2002 VW Golf 2 door for 7500. It only had 63,000 on it and a 5-speed transmisson. I get about 32 mpg and with the rear seats folded down, that little golf turns into van. Zero to 60 can be a bit slow as I just have the 2.0 liter N/A motor, I think my 0 to 60 is about 8 seconds or so. The brakes on that car and VERY good, the suspension is a bit soft for my liking but it still handles well. But if you opt for the 1.8T GTi, you will have a much quicker ride with a mpg of about 26-28. For the money and looks you cant beat a VW.

used mazda 3 hatchback. fold down rear seats, lots of cargo room, comfortably seats 4 if needed, 2.3 liter 160hp/160 tq motor, 2006+ models have 5 speed auto if you want auto. gets 32mpg fwy, 25 city.

my mixed average is 28-29 right now, and i am at 50/50 street/fwy