HybridZ

Need help Identifying my problem

My car won't start with the key. When I turn the key to start it, something makes sort of a clicking noise. I found out that this box was the thing that was clicking. It was screwed into the wall under the passengers side dash.

Anyone know what this is? And can anyone figure out why my car isn't starting. It's not even trying to turn over.

box.JPG

box2.JPG

Its a very good chance that it is the battery being low or the battery ground being corroded to the point that you can not pull enough voltage to start the car. The relay you have pictured will click (usualy only once) when you turn the key to start, then when you release the key it will click again but with a lighter sound (almost a hollow sound). You have not said anywhere that I have seen what year your car is... the 74's had in my opinion an issue with that relay, but before you blame the relay check your battery voltage.

When you check the battery voltage check it in two places, first with a meter between the positive and negative terminals on the battery then between the positive terminal on the battery and the bottom of the negative wire where it connects to the engine block. If the battery reads less than 12.5 volts between the terminals take it and have it checked, if it reads between 12.5 and 14.5 its fine. The reading between the positive terminal and the bottom of the negative cable should be the same as the first reading, if it is more than .5 volt different buy new battery cables (both positive and negative) and test again after replacing them.

If after everything above is done and you still get the click (and the shop says your battery/charging system is fine) then you can look at changing the relay.

Dragonfly

That link is great... I personaly do not know what year Mauisnow13's car is so I do not know how many and what relays are on that kick panel. What I do know is that the clicking sound being heard is the contacts inside the relay being pulled in and the later click is the contacts being released. I also know that when the car starts you normaly do not hear the relay because of the sound of the car starting, that is why I think it is a battery voltage issue and is probably caused by corrosion in the ground wire hence the advice given above. For the relay to make the clicking noise it has to be working (as far as the coil goes) although it is anyones guess as to the condition of the contacts inside the relay.

I personaly think that the relay has nothing to do with his problem but it always feels good to have a "suspect" in hand untill you find the real culprit and as long as I can send him on the path of the real culprit the relay can be a nice placebo until the problem is fixed (which I suspect is a bad ground caused by corrosion).

Dragonfly

A bad ACC relay is not going to prevent starting. I am no electrical genius, but I think it is a differnt circuit. I just started my car with out the relay attached. Check the battery and connections...

The only relay for the starter that I am aware of is on the starter. The problem that I very lightly skimmed in my first post on this thread about the relay in the 74' is not actualy that relay but is the interlock relay http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1d/1d/80/0900823d801d1d80/repairInfoPages.htm Fig #9 left hand side. The interlock relay not working correctly will not allow your car to start but if you were to bypass it and "hot wire" the relay on the starter you could start the car blah blah blah (the "blah blah blah" is so I don't have to type 30 more paragraphs to explain how and why).

Dragonfly

Invest in a ohm/multi meter without it your just guessing.

Very true, you can get a reliable meter for about $40, you can get a cheap (aka worthless) meter for about $10, or you can get a good meter for about $90 and up. IMHO you should get a reliable meter.

I was thinking. Could it possibly just be that I need a new starter and/or selinoid? How can I check this?

The reason I thought of this was because to start the car, we had to touch a flathead screwdriver to two screws on the starter/selinoid.

If that is true there is nothing wrong with your starter or starter selinoid. You checked it already by jumping the screws with a screw driver and starting the car.

So how do I find a bad ground? I'm pretty new to wiring. LOL

Most likely the bad ground is caused by corrosion in your negative battery cable. The best way to find that out is to do this:

When you check the battery voltage check it in two places, first with a meter between the positive and negative terminals on the battery then between the positive terminal on the battery and the bottom of the negative wire where it connects to the engine block. If the battery reads less than 12.5 volts between the terminals take it and have it checked, if it reads between 12.5 and 14.5 its fine. The reading between the positive terminal and the bottom of the negative cable should be the same as the first reading, if it is more than .5 volt different buy new battery cables (both positive and negative) and test again after replacing them.

If you want to do this with an absolute minimum of learning just buy new battery cables, put them on and drive away happy untill you find the next problem. Personaly I think that owning a car that is 37 years old means learn everything you can about it so it will never leave you stranded.

Dragonfly