HybridZ

Need advice on wireless router ... and not the powertool

heavy85

Well this is sort of a 'tech' question but anyway seems to fit best here. I bought my wife a laptop for x-mas and am shopping for a wireless router. I am clueless. It's a Dell and has a N wireless card. We have cable modem which I have been told is only about up to G card speed. Went to Best Buy today and there were four basic options for the G card. What appears to be the brand name Linksys (or something close) which comes in the basic for $50 or the high speed for $70. There was a what appears to be the generic by Belkin which is only $35 then there was another brand I dont remember which is equivalent to the high speed Linksys for $45 but again looks very generic. Any recommendations? We also have a Circuit City but I have yet to look there. The laptop will be used for photo editing including uploading to host/photo labs and web surfing. Thanks ahead for any advice.

Thanks

Cameron

Hey Cameron I've set up a couple of networks, my Brand peference is Buffalo Routers if you can find them. I've had Linksys, Netgear, and D-link routers all are decent no major complaints for simple networking. I would recommend you going with an wireless N capable router even if your modem is at G speeds, no point in bottlenecking it if modem can run the "N" speeds occasionally. Just my .02

Tyson

I wouldn't go for wireless-n at the moment unless you were planning on doing file transfers across your wireless network often. As was stated earlier, the two generation old wireless-b standard is still considerably faster than most broadband internet connections.

If you want to push your network to great distances, then wireless-n is worth is too. Here's a study I found, pages 11-12 compare throughput of wireless G vs. N.

http://www.netgear.com/upload/marketingasset/competitivecharts/wireless_n_performance_study_12-12-06.pdf

By the way, Newegg has a wireless-n router for $40 after mail in rebates. Reviewed at 4 out 5 eggs, though out of stock until Christmas day.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156052