HybridZ

Subaru swap

nbesheer

LOL I was just abstaining because I had a feeling where this was going, but in the interest of a person that is actually INTERESTED in this thread based on the title, the oil pan of a Subaru is very small and cannot be reduced in height without significant issues. Not to mention the fact that everyone is forgetting; you need more height for the manifold. The exhaust ports of the heads point DOWN and therefore reducing the height of the oilpan gives you nothing in terms of clearance unless you have a really abnormal manifold on it as well.

Part of the oilpan restriction is the fact that the Subaru engines are actually two halves of a block that encase around the crank like symmetric halves of a die cut foam packing. They don't have main caps. In other words, the bottom of the motor isn't the plane that the centerline of the crank coincides with like the SBC, SBF, etc. The rest of the length of a Subaru is taken by the pan. If you imagine the block like this: [O] you get the idea. Hope that helps.

Suffice to say, I have a Subaru and an S30 sitting side by side. I have had Scoobies apart to many levels. I've road raced them. I've tuned >600 whp EJ257's, etc. and my S30 bay is practically empty to take measurements. I have seen plenty of very insightful and ingenious modifications made to the S30 chassis by intrepid hybrid-ers, but I think the EJ series motors won't fit without a tube conversion or some extremely twisted (and weak) modifications to make the rails go up about 15" from where they are now or 6" wider at a minimum (and no provision to access the plugs). But hey, if someone wants to try it, go for it. I'd be glad to offer any other insight or measurements you might like. I actually had the thought of doing a Subaru but felt it was pretty daunting. I am gonna stick with the relatively well known VH45DE or 1UZFE swap.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest da-man (is not!)

wow. no, really. just: wow. HOLY wow, even.

Six Shooter: as I recall, I once got into an argument with both Jim and BRAAP about something that was purely subjective (it was a motorcycle vs car topic) and they did the same thing to me. Which is to say: they asked for reasonable evidence to back-up the opinion that I had stated as fact:bonk:

I can only hope that I "gave-up" sooner than you have.... and that I saved a little dignity for later posts. :cool:

I'm teasing, really, but I have to admit that Jim's arguments also reflect my own racing experience, particularly as relates to weight transfer and vehicle dynamics.

So back to the topic: I actually read this entire thread because, based on the title, I thought it might be likely that we'd talk about AWD setups, which is something I am very interested in. I would really LOVE to know if anyone out there has found an AWD setup that'll take some hp, works with maybe a SBC, won't require RAISING the vehicle to clear drivetrain parts, and can be had without spending a fortune. New thread maybe?

Guest da-man (is not!)

You need to look a bit more into drag racing, it's not all about "point and shoot". ;) You'd be amazing at what is really going on with the driver down a single digit 1/4 mile sprint.

Besides that's not all I'm into, I just have a majority of my (racing) experiance there.

While the only way I've ever done a single-digit 1/4 was on a motorcycle, I HAVE turned a 10.13 in my Buick, just over a decade ago. I will agree with you, that there can be A LOT going-on in that cab for those 10 seconds, no question about it.

So imagine doing ALL of that for more than a minute (per lap) and multiply that by 12, 15, 20 laps or more!! (because I can assure you, there is absolutely NO LESS going-on during any moment of a road race)

You should try roadracing.... in my own experience, it left me feeling like drag-racing was no longer "the real thing". I know, some will say "racing's racing".... but not for me. PLUS: it would give you some first-hand experience to back-up your comments and ideas in this thread. (Or maybe help you to change your mind?)

• 1 year later...

Would mounting an EJ like this be feasible in your opinoins? Assuming tubed front end with SLA/double wishbone conversion. I think the measurement in red would be the biggest factor...also I don't know how the engine is mounted or where the mounts go to the block or anything.

16312_thumb.attach

Subaru's typically use a four point mounting system. Two on the engine and two on the transmission. The two engine mounts are actually a pair of plates (each with a pair of bolts mounted to the block) which are mounted on the block just inboard of the decks. The first of the two trans mount points is a typical rubber bushed mount at the tail end of the trans to a cross member. The second mount is called the 'dogbone' and is essentially link shaped like a stretched figure eight. It mounts from the top of the bell housing to the firewall above the trans. On an S30 it would mount just below the hood latch bracket that is tack welded to the firewall.

The width of the engine is the entire problem. If you widened the frame rails (substantially, by modification standards) it shouldn't be a problem.

The answer the previous question, the entire engine sits in front of the acles. The engine and trans is a typical longitudinal setup with the axles bolted into the trans at approximately 12~14 inches behind the mounting face of the bell housing. The length of the engine is relatively low, but as I said, it's ALL in front of the axles. Plus a foot or so.