HybridZ

L28et turbo header

BurnoutZ

From my understanding a thick cast manifold will loose heat faster than a tubular manifold. A thick manifold has much more heat soak ability than thin material, especially if the thin material is stainless. Stainless is a horrible conductor of heat, and great at handling the temps. Think of it this way, have you ever tried welding a thin tube? Low amps is all you need for good penetration right? Now try welding a thick hunk of metal, notice how much more amps you need to get the material to melt? This is because the thick heavy pc has more capacity to pull heat.

If you design a good header with room for expansion, personally I think it is all good. I built my own and it was by no means cheap easy or going to give me back in performance what I put into it, but I did it because I wanted to and I like building. If you are on a budget with limited finances then I feel the money could be spent better somewhere else. For me I had no budget and just wanted to make the coolest header I could. Here are some pics of it tacked up

Jeff

8-19-06_070.JPG

12-01-06_002.JPG

12-01-06_003.JPG

12-01-06_004.JPG

Can you hit 600hp with a ported out stocker? I'm sure it's possible, but its a good step along the way, and will make your setup more effecient.

That really depends on what 'Stocker' you are using! JeffP about dumped in his drawers after measuring the I.D. of the Euro Turbo Manifold compared to his ported US Spec Stocker, and his SFP Tubular Header.

The 1 5/8" I.D. of the SFP Tubular Unit is actually smaller than the Stock European Stock Unit! And given the photos above of what appear to be the 'modified' SFP unit with 'expansion joints' installed in almost the same places as the Euro Turbo Manifold has!

Short of MONZTER's efforts which look a bit like Electramotive's efforts for all-out HP, a stocker will haul you a long way. And a Euro Stocker (if you can find one) will go even further. Getting 500HP on an internally-wastegated stock-looking turbo does have some advantages, depending on where you are living in the country...

Just looking. I want one, but i dont wanna buy anything ill regret.

I will do you a favor as evidently you are not an old timer like some of us. If Vinh has offered you a Turbo Header from Japan I will guarantee and bet the last rusty penny in my pocket it will be an awesome piece. He would never pedal or sell junk or something you will "regret". We should be so fortunate to have such an offer....couple words of wisdom for you.

Yasin

I will do you a favor as evidently you are not an old timer like some of us. If Vinh has offered you a Turbo Header from Japan I will guarantee and bet the last rusty penny in my pocket it will be an awesome piece. He would never pedal or sell junk or something you will "regret". We should be so fortunate to have such an offer....couple words of wisdom for you.

Yasin

Alright. Well thats good news. Cant wait to see the pics vinh.

That really depends on what 'Stocker' you are using! JeffP about dumped in his drawers after measuring the I.D. of the Euro Turbo Manifold compared to his ported US Spec Stocker, and his SFP Tubular Header.

The 1 5/8" I.D. of the SFP Tubular Unit is actually smaller than the Stock European Stock Unit! And given the photos above of what appear to be the 'modified' SFP unit with 'expansion joints' installed in almost the same places as the Euro Turbo Manifold has!

Short of MONZTER's efforts which look a bit like Electramotive's efforts for all-out HP, a stocker will haul you a long way. And a Euro Stocker (if you can find one) will go even further. Getting 500HP on an internally-wastegated stock-looking turbo does have some advantages, depending on where you are living in the country...

Tony, Personally I'm a big fan of cast iron turbo exhaust manifolds on the street simply for the reliability. I believe the slip joint header mentioned above is TimZ's which helped him make 607RWHP. Wow! If I went turbo header the Greddy unit get's my vote. If I ever came across a Euro spec manifold I'd have to give that a try too. Highly doubtful I'll ever find one though. Can you get us any pictures?

The BRE unit is also better than the US L28ET manifold. Actually a highly modified version of the BRE is what is on the Bonneville car. A turbo header at Bonneville just doesn't hold up well to the extreme heat.

Vinh must have died. :icon_frow Anyways, I dont think greddy still makes the turbo header because when i search "exact terms" of it on google it just comes up with hybridz and 2 other forum websites. I think if it was still in production there would be more results...

Here are some pictures of the turbo manifold. This one has a T4 flange. The flange is close to 3/4" thick. If you really need it and can't find it any where send me an email with the right offer and it's yours. GL

V.

PS. Thanks Yasin for speaking highly of me. I visit this forum once in a long while now.

2886004_49_full.jpg

2886004_50_full.jpg

2886004_51_full.jpg

From what little I can tell, the point of an exhaust manifold is to provide as little resistance to the flow of hot exhaust gases as possible, in order to deliver them to the turbine housing/wheel. The housing/wheel are a restriction to the flow, but thats how you extract the energy to drive the compressor.

A stock manifold has lots of fugly restrictions BEFORE the flow gets to the turbine, this restriction is entirely wasted, contributing nothing to the energy extraction for driving the compressor, and only to increasing exhaust manifold pressure, and decreasing the efficiency of the engine.

At least thats how I understand it. There is a reason you don't see log manifolds on cars aiming for maximum HP.

Dave

Here are some pictures of the turbo manifold. This one has a T4 flange. The flange is close to 3/4" thick. If you really need it and can't find it any where send me an email with the right offer and it's yours. GL

V.

PS. Thanks Yasin for speaking highly of me. I visit this forum once in a long while now.

2886004_49_full.jpg

2886004_50_full.jpg

2886004_51_full.jpg

does this clear a LHD steering shaft and frame? How much you want for it?