HybridZ

Guy allegedly cuts drag coefficient from .34 to .17 in backyard

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We do if we get the BBC America channel.. I have Dish Network satellite service, I am not sure if the other cable or satellite carriers have it or what. The show is so weak* sometimes I roll my eyes constantly, but its in such a great and entertaining way that its no wonder it is one of the most popular television programs in the world. Wiki claims it has up to 350 million viewers world wide.. insane!!!

*(easy to see through or poke holes in or just generally have good reason not to agree with their conclusions/opinions; I freakin love the show and don't want them to change, its just easy to see SOME smoke and mirrors there, or simply disagree with them. Fun though.)

I actually just watch it online. The BBC America airings are edited and leave out tons of stuff, which frustrates me.

streetfire.net used to be a good place to watch the entire episodes, as their limit seems to be 60 minutes as opposed to youtube's 10 minutes. But, I just checked the guy who used to host all the episodes including the new ones a few days after they air and his have been removed.

If you go to www.mininova.org you can get all the episodes in full! I have found that you get the full 60min's, whereas the ones shown on local Aust TV is cut down to 45mins so they can throw in 15min's worth of ad's (usually a Mustang blowing itself up on a Dyno because it used the wrong oil :-))!!!

*(easy to see through or poke holes in or just generally have good reason not to agree with their conclusions/opinions; I freakin love the show and don't want them to change, its just easy to see SOME smoke and mirrors there, or simply disagree with them. Fun though.)

Yeah exactly, straight car shows can be a bit tedious and dull - It's like the Ford Focus review - started by a letter sent in by a viewer who asked if they ever did real car tests anymore - the show is much better when they move away from straight car reviews and "facts" - like the caravan episode, that was very funny stuff :-)!!!

If you go to www.mininova.org you can get all the episodes in full! I have found that you get the full 60min's, whereas the ones shown on local Aust TV is cut down to 45mins so they can throw in 15min's worth of ad's (usually a Mustang blowing itself up on a Dyno because it used the wrong oil :-))!!!

Yeah exactly, straight car shows can be a bit tedious and dull - It's like the Ford Focus review - started by a letter sent in by a viewer who asked if they ever did real car tests anymore - the show is much better when they move away from straight car reviews and "facts" - like the caravan episode, that was very funny stuff :-)!!!

Nice to know my point made it; it was one of those things that makes you wonder if you are going to be misunderstood :2thumbs:

• 2 years later...

That car is hideous...I would like to see some real data showing the aerodynamic effects and the fuel mileage.

I am a pretty active member of EcoModder.com where the links on this car are from. I cam over to see this thread because one of the Moderators post this thread on our forum.

Being new, I'm going to try and be understanding of the 'comments' being made.

1. One of the key principles of Ecomodder as opposed to 90% of most automotive forums, is we challenge each mod to be A-B-A tested by the modder.

I can promise you that if he had not shown the proof that you are asking about, we would have booted his arse to the 'unicorn corral'(magnets, turbonators, etc).

You obviously did not go thru all the links.

2. After you do go thru the proof he does provide, please used factual informaTION to argue your point.

Found this article on wired.com about the "Aerocivic." According to the article, the guy who built it spent about $400 on materials, but now gets up to 95 MPG.

Some links from the article:

A thread the owner started on ecomodder forum.

Pictures of the car and the building process.

How he measured his coefficient of drag.

A German site showing pre-WWII German aerodynamic experiments (hit the tour button at the bottom to see lots of pictures).

I realize his testing methods aren't the most scientific, and that his photo gallery states 80 MPG and his user on the forum states 64 MPG. Still some interesting reading, and gives a good visualization of aerodynamic mods.

Boy is it ugly, though.

thanks for post all the links!

WTF?????

If he's seriously so concerned with the price of fuel that he has to do that, then either convert to electric, or buy a friggin pushbike!!!

Just looking at those pics, im sort of wondering if he just built all that stuff permanantly over the original bumper and lights, ect ect, Coz there is a whole lot of weight he could get rid of there.

im thinking this bloke is one of the reasons people think americans can be a bit dumb???:-D:grin::-D

yep.......

and you post was pretty predictable in typecasting aussies!!!!!

See, this is America. And we can do what ever we want.......because we can.

ANd isnt it nice that he can post on a forum that respects his ingenuity and drive.

As opposed to those 'ricer' forums that can't see past their pos.

well i wouldn't say he's dumb.

he's just having fun with a project.

I mean, he's probably just testing aero right now and will cut weight off later once it's all good to go. perhpas there are state laws regarding the modification of the car's structure dependant on when it was made, so he can't remove any of the factory stuff right now.

he did say he used that car because that was the car he had.

pretty simple.

Careless,

thanks for the very thoughtful post.

You know, I must admit I'm pretty disappointed in the negative comments made about what this guy did.

Those of you who commented negatively clearly "don't get it". The owner of that car has a goal in mind... He's not making it look pretty, he's making it functional and doing a hell of a job, I might add.

A lot of people hate the looks of the Zcar with a big wing on it and all closed up in the front... but it works too... :roll:

Mike

Mike,

thanks.

This is an aerodynamic category...

This is not a Paint and body/Waxer/CarShow Category...

For "THIS" category what "THIS" guy did with "THIS" car is pretty impressive. Closed minds miss opportunities to gain knowledge, and knowledge is power.

So the guy was trying to improve his fuel mileage to very high return on his money spent... Why would you NOT USE a commutor box like a Civic hf or a diesel vw or some other equally pedestrian mode of transportation. I certainly wouldn't expect him to use a Hemi powered 240Z to start with... You guys who are so critical failed the test without picking up your pencils. :lmao:

Mike

Mike,

great point!

As my username implys, I drive a 02 Infiniti Q45 Sport. It's what I have. It's (more importantly) what I want to drive.

But I also want ot get better gas mileage. SO I go to Ecomodder a lot. I have done things that other Q owners wont do. I don't care.

I get 30.4 mpg on 3 day trips from Sacramento Ca to Dasllas Tx (epa is 22mpg)

Several posters (usually from other countries) try to tell me to get a smaller car....quit wasting my time on a big v8.

Guess that's why your a moderator!

Wondering why this topic is here. Windtunnel Tests Results & Analysis????

look another thought uot aussie comment!!!!!

Guess that stupid dumb hick american boy forgot to go over to dad's shop and get it wind tested.

Get a life.......

werent those 260's kinda a stop gap pos.......just sayin.......

Curious how he came up with "A" in that formula.

"A" is meant to be the largest cross sectional area of the front of the car (ie the silhouette of the front of the car).

Not the total surface area of the car (as is commonly mistaken).

Instructables failed to stipulate that fine point.

See, this is America. And we can do what ever we want.......because we can.

I do not support the sentiment of my fellow aussie, nor the lack of grammar. But I believe what you've written here is a great example of this particular type of logical fallacy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy#Begging_the_question

I think hybridz has a pretty decent international membership base, so your first statement is somewhat assumptive.

Nice if you to come visit though. Have you seen this little sucker? http://green.autoblog.com/2011/09/20/more-details-emerge-on-the-electric-edison2-evlc-with-310-mpge/ I like it. :D While we're on aero, I especially like the idea of having the rear taper horizontally instead of vertically, though I don't think this is a new idea, it's pretty well executed in this case.

Dave

Wow, it's a small world. My uncle (and Godfather) is the one who designs and sells the ScanGauge. Worked at Motorola as an engineer for years, this is sort of his retirement hobby. I really liked mine, until I looked at the horrible gas mileage my Honda [Element] got the way I drove it.

Google image search. Oddly enough, it took numerous queries to find a picture of a really riced out hatchback.

Love the Scangauge!!!!!!!!

I won't believe his #'s until its been in a wind tunnel. All of those rough edges induce drag. His improvements could very well be caused by driving differently without realizing it. If that had been an aircraft it would likely no longer fly.

For what its worth.

well, MONGO, if you use some of your down time to read ALLLLLLL the links.....maybe you will become a believer.......

or maybe not.

Quite possible that you are a product of the bell curve on this one and fall outside the second deviation.

Hmm maybe you should suggest to him that OBD2 cars aren't the only ones on the road. I like the scanguage setup but don't plan on having any obd2 cars in the future and I know alot of people that really like their old custom hotrods etc that would also like to be able to get real mileage information on their carbed vehicles, not to mention the mpg enthusiests with older cars.

In the old days, lol, you used to be able to get mileage computers from the likes of JCPenney etc. It had a transducer you put in the fuel line and one of a couple of types of speed sensing units. My sister and I loved to watch the instant mpg while my dad drove. Now you cant find anything like that for those cars.

Consaka,

Had one of those from Sears in 1979-80!!!

It fit perfectly in the consol on my 1966 mustang.

one of the sensors attached a magnet to the drive shaft.