HybridZ

RB26 N1 or Nismo Oil Pump (differences)?

Careless

Hi guys,

looking at JPS Trading Limited (eBay).

I've noticed that the Nismo oil pump part number is not the same as the N1 part number, which leads me to believe the Nismo Oil pump is of higher capacity/output rating than the N1 pump.

The nismo pump is definately a Nismo number (indicated, usually by the RR), but I was always under the impression that the N1 and the Nismo were one in the same.

Has anyone any experience with the differences? :?:

N1 pump = 15010-24U01

Nismo pump = 15010-RR580

Careless,

I believe they are different - pictures of a dismantled N1 vs. Stock pump can be found out there - and the two pumps are not the same. I suspect the price difference between an N1 and a Nismo pump would indicate that these two pumps also have similiar differences.

Don't take my word on it but I suspect that the Nismo pump will flow at much higher rates than the N1.

I am also trying to decide on an oil pump - all of my rebuild parts have showed up (pistons, rods, cams, springs, etc.) so I hope to purchase a pump in January. I am leaning toward a JUN.

Q

I hear you on that one, Quentin.

I saw some pics of the N1/Factory differences. Mainly a larger pumping gear with less teeht.

I'm curious to know how the Nismo one stacks up against Jun or Tomei, since it's 400 dollars cheaper than either, but it it's probably what's found on their Z-tune or the JGTC cars.

I'd like to believe I need nowhere near the capacity that the Jun or Tomei provide, as they're used to pump up a healthy set of turbos pump it through a large oil cooler to keep the excessive heat down.... whereas for my build, I can probably get by on a smaller oil cooler....

BTW, how did the parts selection go? what did you end up going with?

Raff.

There's the same pic I have on my computer at home =)

Thanks Stealth-z.

I tried calling my Nissan stealership today, but I forgot the parts dept. is closed today.

Will call first thing in the new year. I THINK i had gotten a quote for the N1 pump at $410, which is double what Nismoparts or WestCovinaNissan sells it for on ebay.

I'm going to double check that the 410 was not a nismo pump, and if it is, I will purchase the nismo.

BTW, how did the parts selection go? what did you end up going with?

Raff.

CP pistons - 8.5:1 +0.05mm

Tomei Connecting Rod: Forged H-Beam Conrod Kit

Tomei Camshaft: Procam Rb26Dett In and EX

IN - 270-10.25m

Ex 270-10.25

Tomei adjustable pulley set

tomei valve springs - A-type

tomei valve lifter set

Bronze manganse valve guides (going to do some porting!!!)

Throttle shaft seals

tomei head gasket

Oil gallery orifice

need - oil pump, gasket set complete

anyone want a brand new nissan head gasket - I have two that i won't be using.

Quentin

post a price for the gasket, I've got to do some measurements for compressed gasket thickness soon to calculate my final CR, so I could use one if the price is right.

I'll then get the VRS kit to do final assembly.

:-)

All tomei stuff, hmm.

NICE! (jealous)

Just to confirm everyone's suspicions, the Nismo and N1 pumps are different, the N1 pump flows the same as a stock pump, just with higher pressure, in fact I am pretty sure they are the same besides the spring. A Nismo pump is higher volume and higher pressure like the other after market pumps, however I do not recall the flow rates. I got my N1 pump from Nismoparts for dirty cheap.

I wont try to go too far off topic, but where did you get your internal parts and what kind of price? I am wanting to do cams in my car and am looking for a good source. Why did you choose Tomei Procams vs the competition like HKS Step2?

Nismoparts.com has the engine gasket rebuild kits for silly cheap if you are looking for OEM gasket kits.

Thanks

-Chris

CP pistons - 8.5:1 +0.05mm

Tomei Connecting Rod: Forged H-Beam Conrod Kit

Tomei Camshaft: Procam Rb26Dett In and EX

IN - 270-10.25m

Ex 270-10.25

Tomei adjustable pulley set

tomei valve springs - A-type

tomei valve lifter set

Bronze manganse valve guides (going to do some porting!!!)

Throttle shaft seals

tomei head gasket

Oil gallery orifice

need - oil pump, gasket set complete

anyone want a brand new nissan head gasket - I have two that i won't be using.

Quentin

Just to confirm everyone's suspicions, the Nismo and N1 pumps are different, the N1 pump flows the same as a stock pump, just with higher pressure, in fact I am pretty sure they are the same besides the spring. A Nismo pump is higher volume and higher pressure like the other after market pumps, however I do not recall the flow rates. I got my N1 pump from Nismoparts for dirty cheap.

I think I might go with JUN with fentin_fury. It has an externally adjustable pressure spring, and should feed the oil coolers well and pump that little bit of extra oil through the extra oil clearance on the bearings nicely...

I think with that range of pumps (tomei, greddy, jun, nismo) I'm going to have to run a tight restrictor and definately a head drain.

Gotta see what the money looks like for the end of this month. :x

I think I might go with JUN with fentin_fury. It has an externally adjustable pressure spring.

I think you are thinking of the Tomei pump. Tomei has a external adjuster for spring rate change.

My Jun pump looked like all the others, except Tomei, with the oil pressure adjuster, non accessible, once the oil pan is installed....

I wont try to go too far off topic, but where did you get your internal parts and what kind of price? I am wanting to do cams in my car and am looking for a good source. Why did you choose Tomei Procams vs the competition like HKS Step2?

Nismoparts.com has the engine gasket rebuild kits for silly cheap if you are looking for OEM gasket kits.

Thanks

-Chris

Tomei vs. HKS - i would believe the quality here is the same. But from the supplier I purchased from - HKS was not an option. I dealt with Troy @ xs-engineering.com.

Q

"As far as cams, we've analysed all the HKS cams, as well as the Tomei's looking for lobes that net the smoothest valve action, therefore increasing spring life, and the Tomei's...even their largest cam configuration is smoother than the HKS designs, so you might want to keep that in mind."
something to keep in mind.

From Fresh Alloy -

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Tomei Oil Pump

Flows 56 Liters @6000 RPM! Wow!

The pumps are instock and available today.

What separates the Tomei unit from every other brand is the fact that the pump is adjustable externally, eliminating the need to remove the oil pan. This is perfect for the GTR guys running aftermarket oil coolers. This pump is considered by most everyone to be the highest quality pump on the market, and will take all you can throw at it.

DSC02836.jpg

DSC02837.jpg

DSC02838.jpg

DSC02839.jpg

DSC02840.jpg

Each pump has it's own serial # for Tomei to be able to reference.

DSC02841.jpg

• 1 month later...

Some more information - offered by Matt - and I quote...

"There’s quite a bit of misinformation floating around out there on RB oil pumps. Here’s the NO BULL info I have on the pumps. All of the pressure/flow info is taken directly from the manufacturers 2007/2008 catalogs with no additional info added, except where noted.

Taken from HKS

Stock Pump

600rpm pressure 1kg/cm2 flow 3.7 liters per minute

2,000rpm pressure 3kg/cm2 flow 12.9 liters per minute

6,000rpm pressure 4kg/cm2 flow 39.9 liters per minute

HKS Pump

600rpm pressure 1kg/cm2 flow over 5 liters per minute

2,000rpm pressure 3kg/cm2 flow 17.3 liters per minute

6,000rpm pressure 4kg/cm2 flow 53.1 liters per minute

Stock flows 9.87ml/rev

HKS flows 13.1ml/rev

Tomei Pump

6,000rpm pressure unknown flow 56 liters per minute

JUN Pump

Flows 125% of stock (my math says that’s 49.9 liters per minute at 6,000rpm)

Nismo Pump

Has stronger gears. Everything else is the same as stock.

With the exception of my math on the JUN pump flow, the above is word for word out of the catalogs. This includes what Nismo says about the pump.

Now for my $0.02

While JUN and Tomei don’t list the pressure, I would imagine it’s around stock. HKS uses stock pressure and it’s completely adequate. More pressure just robs power and puts additional load on the pump. Around $900 sounds steep to me for the stronger gears of the Nismo pump when I can buy the higher volume JUN pump for about the same price. However, this is the same pump Nismo uses in their Super Taikyu (endurance) race series engines (says so in the catalog). There’s a lot of information written between the lines in that last sentence. I have an HKS pump on my car, but that’s because it spins 10,000rpm.

I have no written information on the N1 pump. However, here are my observations… The standard pump takes the shape of a gerotor, and the N1 pump gears look more like a Duocentric design. A Duocentric pump has several advantages over a standard gerotor. The first is volume. For the same size rotors, a Duocentric design can pump 8-12% more volume due to the gear shape. They are quieter at higher rpm’s and with the correct geometry, they tend to cavitate less.

On the Nismo pump. Nismo says the gears are “stronger” or “uprated strength”. I don’t know if this means they’re of a better material or just hardened. However, in the Nismo catalog, they have this to say about the VQ35 pump: “Based on experience in competition with the RB26, this oil pump for the VQ35 uses SCM material for gear machining to help avoid the oil pump gear damage that can occur during overruns caused by misshifts and other conditions.” SCM is JIS spec for chromoly steel, and many race pumps are made of SCM435 (AISI-4137). This would lead me to assume the RB26 pump is not made with SCM material. However (once again…) the RB26 pump is more expensive. Who knows. The Tomei pump also specifies SCM435. While not specified, I’m sure the JUN pump has stronger gears than the stocker, and I’m sure they’ll tell you if you ask........."

I have ordered a Tomei and expect delivery next week....

Q