HybridZ

can anyone tell me what a H190 rear is worth

Guest TeamNissan

There IS a h190 but its a complete rear with axles not for use in a 280z without SERIOUS modifications. If your going to go with a solid rear instead of independent rear like found stock there are far better options. If you search you will find a few members have swapped solid rears in there s30 for drag purposes.

Guest TeamNissan

I'm not sure about the H190 itself but I believe the H series is found on roadsters, 1200's and the such. You never really hear much about it here because z's have always had independent rears. Installing a solid rear would really only be beneficial for dragging and at that there are so many better options usually domestic.

Guest TeamNissan

Ok, well if that is the case you need to find out which model r190 it is. There are weak 2 bolt ones and stronger 4 bolt one. Should be about 600+ depending on that and condition. I believe it is a direct bolt in with 240z half shafts as a r200 like in your 280z uses 2 dif sized axles.

Knowing now its a R190 you really do need to search, there is a sticky with all nissan difs covered within, including the r190.

Okay I just talked to the guy. He claims to be a datsun Z person. He said this is a competition datsun rear and that it is a H190. He said all the competition rear ends from datsun were H rears and he never heard of a R190. So who knows. He says this thing was from a race guy that only raced Z cars. I have looked at it put not close. I do know it didnt look like anything special but it did seem to be a locker type rear. Just a quick question. I noticed when my 280 is on jack stands and i turn the right rear tire it doesnt turn anything. Driveshaft doesnt turn and it doesnt turn the other wheel. I also tried to see what the gear ratio was by counting the driveshaft revolutions with one full revolution of the tire. It did not work. I have done this with ford 8.8 rears all the time. All of this is what made me wonder if my R200 was hurt.

Guest TeamNissan
In keeping with my Holiday Spirit I'll only say this... "It's good for holding a door open...:-D."

LARRY

Its so funny you say that because I have one I use to hold my basement door open and sump lid closed lol.

Here is a link to Les Canadays website http://www.classicdatsun.com/. Les is the owner of classic datsun and the guy who purchased all the remaining stock of R190's and parts for them from Nissan, Les also probably knows more about that particular diff than anyone else. I did notice that he doesn't have anything about them on his website but if you were to call him or email him I am sure he could enlighten you quite a bit.

Dragonfly

Okay I just talked to the guy. He claims to be a datsun Z person. He said this is a competition datsun rear and that it is a H190. He said all the competition rear ends from datsun were H rears and he never heard of a R190. So who knows. He says this thing was from a race guy that only raced Z cars. I have looked at it put not close. I do know it didnt look like anything special but it did seem to be a locker type rear. Just a quick question. I noticed when my 280 is on jack stands and i turn the right rear tire it doesnt turn anything. Driveshaft doesnt turn and it doesnt turn the other wheel. I also tried to see what the gear ratio was by counting the driveshaft revolutions with one full revolution of the tire. It did not work. I have done this with ford 8.8 rears all the time. All of this is what made me wonder if my R200 was hurt.

He must be confused or misinformed.

H190 are live axle diffs. R190 are IRS Diffs. R190 were fitted to cars like the Z432R and the works rally 240Z cars. Which is probably why he's never heard of them.

H190's were fitted to cars like the Cedric, Stanza, Silvia (200SX) etc.

H190 will not fit in a Z, and if he got it from a Z guy that only raced Z's then its probably unused, unless he used to race other datsuns.

As posted above regarding the H190 and R190. The live axle rear diffs for Nissans are sold as a pumpkin without the whole rear end housing, the same as Fords rear ends. The seller is mistaken and the H190 rear end cannot be installed in a S30 or S130 unless you're going with a complete live axle swap.

I'll add that if it is an H190 and it does have a detroit locker or an LSD, it probably would have some value to a guy like Les Cannaday, because the locker can be installed on the R190 differential and used on a Z in that way.

On a side note, it sounds like your R200 is SERIOUSLY busted if the power can't transmit from one side to the other.