HybridZ

FI Vs. Carburetor...What should I do???

Mikelly

Could you interpret/rephrase this for us?

I'm wondering the same. It sounds like the old problem of someone with incorrect parts/tuning for the given application.

I know of quite a few cars running 2000+ HP on EFI, some on Race gas (110+ octane) some on E85 (though I've only seen north of about 1300 HP on this), some on other fuels, like Alcohol. True a lot of these cars are running multiple injectors per cylinder, but even on single injector per cylinder set-ups there are injectors out there that could literally flood an engine very easily. 160 lbs/hr injectors anyone? There are some 210 lbs/hr injectors that are supposed to be released shortly.

Look at the Hot Rod Pump gas drags, these are cars that must weigh 3300 lbs. If you look at the times they are running, they are getting into mid 8s. That means that most of these cars are making somewhere around 1300 HP, and they do it on 93 octane gasoline (Rocket Brand), most are EFI. So unless this guy is making insane amounts of power, it sounds like it's just more tuning that is needed. Sometimes that tuning requires swapping to a larger/smaller injector, or changing the TB.

Im no tuning "expert" but since I set up my Power FC Ive learned alot and have found it much easier to make changes on the fly than with my old Mikunis. No more jet changes....openig closing the housing etc......etc

I was always a bit scared of EFI because of the unknown, I love it now.

I say stick with a good tunable EFI and learn it.

IMO.........

Im no tuning "expert" but since I set up my Power FC Ive learned alot and have found it much easier to make changes on the fly than with my old Mikunis. No more jet changes....openig closing the housing etc......etc

I was always a bit scared of EFI because of the unknown, I love it now.

I say stick with a good tunable EFI and learn it.

IMO.........

I say this to everyone that says EFI is difficult, and unfortunatly until that person actually recearches and plays with it, they never understand just how simple it is until they already have thier vehicie running on it.

I come from a family that only ever had carbs on thier cars, and don't understand exactly how a carb works, yet I understand EFI very well. I've even convinced my Grandfather to convert the '70 Chev to EFI in the spring. :D It will be just TBI, but still a step up from the carb that's on it now that works, but isn't the easiest to run with.

I come from a family that only ever had carbs on thier cars, and don't understand exactly how a carb works, yet I understand EFI very well.

the long and short of carb is that your carb has a splitter to cut the air, leaving a small space of nothingness-- vacuum is created. spray fuel into the vacuum and, given the right amount of time, it will mix with the air-stream that it is being pulled into. too much fuel will flood the void and cause it to over saturate the runners.

EFI is definately more simple, yet more complex at the same time.

:icon7:

the long and short of carb is that your carb has a splitter to cut the air, leaving a small space of nothingness-- vacuum is created. spray fuel into the vacuum and, given the right amount of time, it will mix with the air-stream that it is being pulled into. too much fuel will flood the void and cause it to over saturate the runners.

EFI is definately more simple, yet more complex at the same time.

:icon7:

I understand that much about carbs, what I don't understand is the effect of power valves, and how all these little passages are needed through the metering blocks (Yes Holleys were very abundant when I was growing up). I mean I uderstand teh venturi effect, and the properties that make up how a carb works, I just don't understand how it works the way it does and why so many little parts are needed, at least not in thier entirety. I've just geven up on carbs long ago when on the few cars I had that had carbs ran like absolute Pooh (worse actually), and just couldn't get them to run properly I have been a big proponent of EFI, as it much easier to understand in my opinion and all the "magic" that happens in the box (ECM) is also not that hard to understand, as long as everything else is in play.

I understand that much about carbs, what I don't understand is the effect of power valves, and how all these little passages are needed through the metering blocks (Yes Holleys were very abundant when I was growing up). I mean I uderstand teh venturi effect, and the properties that make up how a carb works, I just don't understand how it works the way it does and why so many little parts are needed, at least not in thier entirety. I've just geven up on carbs long ago when on the few cars I had that had carbs ran like absolute Pooh (worse actually), and just couldn't get them to run properly I have been a big proponent of EFI, as it much easier to understand in my opinion and all the "magic" that happens in the box (ECM) is also not that hard to understand, as long as everything else is in play.

Yeah, I guess you and I are in the same boat. I've yet to actually try and tune a set of carbs the proper way, with some metering utensils, and some replacement parts that change the operation of the fuel system.

EFI is easier, and cost aside, better.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I believe I've been talked into keeping the holley computer/FI setup... Jeff Creech said he's cool tuning it and knows the stuff. I guess I'll just plumb everything to accept the existing FI. Now to source a surge tank for the system...

Mike

Awesome to hear! I *do* still think you may have better results understanding the situation with a more popular type of EMS; this is one of those rare situations where popularity seems to have sense behind it, and less-than-popular choices seem to be so for good reason. In any case, I am sure the car will be more capable, as long as your tuner can unlock it.

Good luck Mike, and let us know in a few months whether you regret this decision or are happy with it.