HybridZ

Swap N42 Lifters into P90?

TrumpetRhapsody

Ok I'm still searching around the site, but haven't had a ton of luck so far. My question, as in the title, is if the solid lifters out of a 75 280z N42 head can be swapped into a P90 head.

There is a shop that has a P90 head pretty close to where I'm thinking about picking up a 1975 280z. The solid lifters have been taken out of the P90 and were swapped into a P90a head. The shop still has the hydraulic lifters out of the P90a head, so if the N42's can't be swapped I suppose I could just have the hydraulics swapped in.

For now the main thing I'll be doing to the 75 L28 is the head swap, but eventually it'll be rebuild forged with a goal of 350-400+whp (with turbo), and a 7000rpm redline. Should I just stick with hydraulics and not worry about it, or (if the N42's won't work) try to source some solid lifters? I've read that solid lifters are preferable to hydraulic.

I'm going to call the shop tomorrow to see what the head and work will cost me, so I wanted to get this info ahead of time.

Cool, thanks for the response.

So a few of the ones I found mention using the timeserts to convert from P90a to solid lifters. Does it work the same going backwards, P90 to hydraulic?

I know that people have accomplished P90a hydraulic to solid conversions, but I guess my lack of knowledge is if there is anything different between the N42 and P90 solid lifters that will make a swap incompatible.

At this point I'm mainly looking for a possible/not possible, I can figure out how later. Depending on how difficult a swap is, I might just have the shop do it for me when i buy the head from them. But hey, if I can do it myself to save and it's not terribly complicated, I'm up for it.

Thanks,

TR

Ok so I just watched

on how to convert P90a to solid lifters. Seems pretty easy, so I think I might try to do it myself. Save some cash, have a little fun, give myself a headache. This is assuming the N42 solid lifters are the same as the P90 solid lifters, and everything will swap over with just a spring compressor, yes? I also gather you can't put hydraulic lifters in a P90 because the threads are bigger, correct?

Ok so I just watched
on how to convert P90a to solid lifters. Seems pretty easy, so I think I might try to do it myself. Save some cash, have a little fun, give myself a headache. This is assuming the N42 solid lifters are the same as the P90 solid lifters, and everything will swap over with just a spring compressor, yes? I also gather you can't put hydraulic lifters in a P90 because the threads are bigger, correct?

I am pretty sure that all the solid lifter heads use the same solid lifters.

Yeah I talked to the shop that has the P90 head and they seemed to think I could swap them over.

I think I may try using the N/A N42 cam in the P90 head, and see how that works. If I don't like it I'll try to find a turbo cam, or just order a custom aftermarket one once I get the turbo all setup.

Now I just need to decide whether to swap the P90 on as soon as I get the car, even though i won't be adding a turbo immediately, or just run it stock for awhile. The compression ratio would be lowered, so I guess the head swap probably isn't worth it till I get the turbo on.

the only head that the hydraulic lifters will fit is the P90A that was made for them. some P90As were mechanical from the factory. you convert them to solid lifter using the timeserts that will convert them from 18.5-20.5 thread. all other L6 heads will use the standard mechanical lifters which are the same for all of them i believe. so yes, your N42 lifters will work with them P90.