HybridZ

Differential mounted E-brake

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based off photos only it looks like there might be room to pinion mount a Wilwood spot caliper on a ~5"-6" disk on the drivers side of the R200. I would need to reassemble my rear before I could even proceed or evaluate that idea. It has alot of perks over mounting two calipers at the rear disks:

1. Less weight

2. Less cost

3. Weight is farther forward

That being said, it may be entirely impossible. So, I have started work on solid modeling a setup that uses a Wilwood spot caliper on each side... Basically the bracket that is used to mount standard 3.5" Wilwood 4-Piston units would be replaced with a single bracket that mounts the 4-pistons and a spot caliper. The spot caliper would be mounted at the bottom of the disk most likely depending on cable clearance. So far all I have is a dimensionally accurate replica of one of the strut mounting faces and the rotor in relation to that mounting face. It is a start though... Eventually I hope to have a bracket made on the UCD CNC machines that will let me use an E-Brake.

Untitled-2_thumb.jpg

Untitled-4_thumb.jpg

Untitled-6_thumb.jpg

Heres a quick update. I got to split, but basically it looks like a CNC nightmare... but I am sure it can be optimized and all that stuff. When I get back I will enter the caliper specs into the solid modeling program to double check clearances. This is what I got so far... The Wilwood caliper is a bit annoying because it requires the mount to reach around the bulk of the clamper. I also need to worry about brake line cable support.

a1_thumb.jpg

a2_thumb.jpg

a3_thumb.jpg

a4_thumb.jpg

a5_thumb.jpg

a6_thumb.jpg

a7_thumb.jpg

a8_thumb.jpg

Just be carefull if you use that with an open diff on an icy hill,wont actually do much:-)

Good point. I don't think one should be relying on normal brakes anyway on an icy hill. :P

I run an LSD though... but safety first! My old roommate who has a bit of experience with this 3d cad/cam stuff says it shouldn't be too hard to have a CNC machine make, which is great news.

I thought Wilwood offers a parking brake option. It looks like a little secondary caliper. I think I saw it offered with the Subaru kit.

They do. It has a smaller pad though that most likely also has less selection. More importantly I don't think the balance of the brake system would work well with that setup. It is a single 1.34" piston. The fronts (at least in my setup) are 4 times 1.75". I really like the pinion mount idea better though and will make that my primary focus once I get that suspension/rear back together.

Finished! Had to adjust the bracket for the spot caliper by ~1/16" but it is good now. I guess I will just keep these drawings around for a while until I can determine if a pinion mount brake setup is possible. If it is possible I would probably just go that route. I might take these down to the machine shop and ask them what I need to do to get it onto the CNC.

c1_thumb.jpg

c2_thumb.jpg

c3_thumb.jpg

c4_thumb.jpg

c5_thumb.jpg

c6_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I am making a pinion mounted E-brake setup. The specifics are super top secret... not actually. We will see how it turns out. If it turns out favoribly it is something I could hypothetically make and sell for those interested.

It is made of 7075-T651 and I ran a bunch of designs for about 2 weeks through strength analysis and such before settling on this one based on weight vs. strength.

This took 7 hours today. I am going to continue on it pretty much all day tomorrow if it takes that long (there is a disk to machine also).

w.jpg

2-5.jpg

1-5.jpg

3-5.jpg

Verrrry NICE!

Thanks. I am going to get the offset dialed in just perfect now (it was deliberately off a bit - can always remove material, can't add!). Next weekend I should be test fitting on my 240z. :)

I spent 20 hours total machining this piece and disk now. Crazy.

The disc is .234lbs with out any cross drilling and such. I think I will leave it solid. The mount is .361lb, and the caliper is ~1.0lb. I am not sure how much I will reduce by deleting all that extra bracketry and cables, but I am hoping to break even.

I love it! Hope it works ..... if you are considering making them count me in as a buyer

Now will this work with the stock parking brake handle and just require some sort of custom linkage/cable?

I love it! Hope it works ..... if you are considering making them count me in as a buyer

Now will this work with the stock parking brake handle and just require some sort of custom linkage/cable?

That is the idea! Right now the other constraints foreseeable are:

1. You need to run the Ron Tyler Diff. mount.

2. You cannot use the diff. flange on the right of the second photo below, since it takes up too much rotor space. I COULD make a mount for that one special, but the surface area of the pad to rotor would be lass than what I would consider acceptable.

http://jaguarsthatrun.com/Pages/Parts_DAT_driveshaft_flange.html

I want to make sure it works first though and my car doesn't run, I will stick it on a ramp or something similar and see if I can load it up a bit. This will not in any way be a replacement for putting the car in gear when parking, or a brake one pulls while the car is in motion. It SHOULD be strong enough that it could take that kind of abuse, but I wouldn't even think about it. I will keep you all posted. :)

• 5 months later...

Chris,

I forgot you had this project going on besides the rota wheels, your a busy man. Now that I have installed my wildwoods all around I will be interested in this project. I set my line lock/hydraulic brake the other day for the first time, after bleeding my new brakes for the first time, and the rears held for an hour or so. I don't know what to expect from a line lock, but I wouldn't think AZC would sell it if it would cause damage to the seals over time. Since my car will rarely be parked on a hill(indianapolis), the parking brake was not that important to me, but I would still like to have something other then the line lock. I am envious of your fabrication skills and look forward to seeing updates

It is indeed still alive! I have been quite a busy college student actually, which is why I haven't been able to do much of anything on the Z in the past maybe 2-3 months. I am actually particularly disheartened because I went through all the trouble of custom machining a clevis and then sending the components to a custom cable maker. Well somewhere along the delivery route back to me, either my roommate or my apartment complex basically misplaced the cable. Very frustrating indeed. It is the 'next' thing for me to do. I am just waiting for funds and a free weekend.