HybridZ

L series Camshaft question

Cruez

Ok,

I a possibly looking at replacing the cam in my L18 in the wagon project car, since I added the dual SU's.

Now, this engine has very little mileage on the engine.. couple of thousand..

Can I safely replace the cam and reuse all the existing components?

All do respect to Jon..I have reused lash pads. Its not best practice but its done and I've never had a problem.

I'm pretty sure Jon knows that - I believe he's saying that if your new cam's base circle is different you will need lash pads that keep the wipe pattern on the rocker pad. It might work out that you can re-use, it might not, but you should NOT assume re-use without checking first.

The one thing I don't like about the twin SU's is the tiny air cleaners. They seem very restrictive. I wonder if the Z K&N's might fit. They would fit if you bolted up Z SU's. Had a friend do that years back. Ported the crap out of the manifold and the head and ran an L20B off of Z SU's. Worked pretty good too!

The stock air cleaner (if you have it, or can fit it in a LHD car) works pretty well, and K&N does have a filter to use with it.

Also, using a stock 240/260Z replacement K&N filter sandwiched between a couple of aluminum plates makes for a NICE SSS SU Aircleaner Setup. (Think like the early roadster air cleaners. A beadroller and sheetmetal can look damn stock sometimes!)

I'm helping my son put the very same setup on his 70 510 Wagon, and this is the same spot we are at...which aircleaner do we want to run?

I don't like the small units either, and having to remove the entire intake to access the aircleaner element is a royal PITA.

If I wasn't so hardheaded on making the boy live with points and carburettors for a couple of years before moving into EFI this would be SOOOOO much easier!

I have the "rare" SSS type air cleaner... If you decide that you want to run this one... its a VERY tight fit on a LHD car.. I have about 1/4" from the master cylinder.. I'll be able to tell better when I get the tranny installed.

I could half the bakelite insulators and gain a little more...