HybridZ

Braided fuel line

jerryb

Pop, I read the same thing on here about the braided lines and I am wholly convinced that it is more of the quality of the line than the lines themselves. I am running braided SS lines from my fuel tank to the engine and I do not have an odor problem.

I have used the Earls, Summit and Aeroquip lines and after awhile they all began to smell right through the braid. I even called each of them and asked if their lines were a problem and each of them all said that they had never heard of this problem. If you keep the car in a closed garage attached to the house and run pump gas in your car, you will notice the smell. I ultimately went to my local Parker fitting supplier and had them make up teflon lined braided lines and have never had another problem.

Jody

There you go teflon ! Its funny, when I started searching for braided fuel lines I assumed they were all teflon lined...I didnt know better as I have never used braided line....except brake lines.

Then I see all these sectioned photos and to my surprise I see thick rubber?? I have a parker dist. down the street here...what type of fittings did you use for the teflon lines Jody?

Thanx

Jerry

BTW, nice car Jody...the small block install looks clean and sounds great.

It's generally cheaper to use hard line between the tank/fuel pump and the front of the car than to use braided all the way through.

Also racing organizations, such as NHRA only allow a max length of braided line in the main feed line. It used to be 2', it may be different now, as I see a LOT of cars with more tha 2' in the main feed line. Butthey definatly don't allow braided front to rear.

Then I see all these sectioned photos and to my surprise I see thick rubber?? I have a parker dist. down the street here...what type of fittings did you use for the teflon lines Jody?

I was going to mention Teflon lines - these are of a completely different construction and require special hose ends. The only material I have ever seen for the hose ends was steel. Your best best for finding Teflon in -6 and larger sizes is to go to an industrial supply place - the kind that supplies hoses, etc for commercial heavy trucks.

Also, Teflon is much stiffer and won't tolerate being bent nearly as much as the regular braided hose does. It's literally a Teflon tube with a stainless outer sheath - if you bend it too far it will collapse.

My personal opinion is that it's preferable to run hard lines for the majority of the run and use hose for short runs to connect from the hard line to anything that moves around, like a soft-mounted motor.

I was running Aeroquip line from the tank to the pump to the carb. Unfortunately, I put in a heavy dose of an off breed octane booster to run nitrous and did not run the car for a couple of months. The lines melted internally which then ruptured making for an interesting night.

Aeroquip was quick to send me replacement line for free just on my word even though I owned up to using an octane booster. I turned in the old line to the dealer to be sent for inspection. I am now running a 3/8 inch steel line and using braided line at the tank and at the motor.

I was a little concerned anyway about having braided line in so close proximity to the driveshaft.

Whatever line you use, be sure it is compatible with the fuel and make sure any connections using AN fittings are clean and free of loose rubber and wire. It is very easy to screw the connections up if you are not careful.

When you get the teflon lined braided lines, you have to have the Parker fittings crimped on at the Parker facility. I had female AN fittings crimped on and used the various aluminum Earls fittings to make alot of my connections. The hoses and fittings are not cheap, but well worth it.

The Earls, Aeroquip, Russell and Summit lines are all rubber lined.

Jody

There you go teflon ! Its funny, when I started searching for braided fuel lines I assumed they were all teflon lined...I didnt know better as I have never used braided line....except brake lines.

Thanx

Jerry

BTW, nice car Jody...the small block install looks clean and sounds great.

Thanks.... it's a ton of fun to drive :-)

I used Aeroquip teflon hose with the steel braid. It's the industrial stuff but rated for fuel and a lot higher pressure than the fuel system will ever produce. It uses AN compatible (37 deg flare ... JIC style) re-usable ends. It was also cheaper than Earls at least around here at somewhere between 6 and 7 $/ft if I remember but dont quote me on that. It's only had gas in it for a couple weeks but given it's solid teflon I dont expect any problems. The only reason I could think they dont market this as fuel hose is the kinkability mentioned above. It's marketed as brake hose I believe.

PS: I thought the NHRA rule was not more than 2' of rubber hose but steel braided was not restricted?

Cameron

I've used the Aeroquip teflon braided, and I believe there was another hose company that offered the teflon braided hose.

heavy85: You may be right, but the way I read the rule back a few years ago, was any flexible hose. In my eyes the braided is still rubber hose, it just happens to have a stainless steel braid over it.

I know the local track gave one of my friends a hard time about having braided run the length of the car as well.