HybridZ

L28ET with MSII mileage report

cygnusx1

I finally got around to filling up my tank and documenting the miles. In and around country roads with about 50% spirited driving I managed 26mpg. My original '76 N/A motor used to get 19-20mpg. I would imagine that on the highway the L28ET with a decent MSII tuned should give me around 30mpg. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

WOW! that is great.

My buddy and I just got back from the gap. kept in boost 80%+

the whole time.

Calculated our milage on the fill up on the ride home. 11mpg.

Considering how hard we drove it. full drift mostly.

That is Awesome milage.

Normal driving and no boosting above 5-7psi I have calculated 26ish mpg. I just can't seem to drive that way for long.

MS is GREAT!!

L28ET stock longblock, MSII, TO4B, 15psi, about 300rwhp.

Yea, sounds about right.

I'm gonna see how good of a highway tune I can get on my L28et before thinkning about megasquirt. If I DO end up even keeping my car then I'll go megasquirt eventually, and if the stock ECU can't get over 25mpg then I'll be saving money in the long run.

Yea, sounds about right.

I'm gonna see how good of a highway tune I can get on my L28et before thinkning about megasquirt. If I DO end up even keeping my car then I'll go megasquirt eventually, and if the stock ECU can't get over 25mpg then I'll be saving money in the long run.

Good luck I think the most I got out of my Stock ECU around town was 16-17 and hwy driving was 23-24. I put the 311CC injectors in and of course it went down from there heh.. How do you have your stock System setup?

How do you have your stock System setup?

Like crap. haha

Just got it running finally. Still got some kinks to work out. I'm not getting water temp, and oil temp on the dash, probably due to sensor issues sitting out in the rain for so long. I also don't get any boost signal, but that's because the hose going to the sensor is cracked.

It was running super rich, adjusted the AFM, doesn't blow black smoke now. :-D

PO had it running super super rich, and also knew his injectors weren't in the greatest of shape (car wouldn't run on low gas), and had it super rich for "safety". With your injectors it's running great. I've had some spark issues, so I'm gonna have to go and get a set of plugs, wires, and makes a cap and rotor while I'm at it. I really need to get some money together and buy all new hoses for the entire engine. Rid myself of the coolant in the throttle, replace the oil lines, coolant lines, etc. I should also clean all my electrical connections.

Most of my driving is highway, so I don't see 25mpg as impossible on a stock L28et. Hard part will be getting it lean enough and still not pinging on cheap gas.

Like crap. haha

Just got it running finally. Still got some kinks to work out. I'm not getting water temp, and oil temp on the dash, probably due to sensor issues sitting out in the rain for so long. I also don't get any boost signal, but that's because the hose going to the sensor is cracked.

It was running super rich, adjusted the AFM, doesn't blow black smoke now. :-D

PO had it running super super rich, and also knew his injectors weren't in the greatest of shape (car wouldn't run on low gas), and had it super rich for "safety". With your injectors it's running great. I've had some spark issues, so I'm gonna have to go and get a set of plugs, wires, and makes a cap and rotor while I'm at it. I really need to get some money together and buy all new hoses for the entire engine. Rid myself of the coolant in the throttle, replace the oil lines, coolant lines, etc. I should also clean all my electrical connections.

Most of my driving is highway, so I don't see 25mpg as impossible on a stock L28et. Hard part will be getting it lean enough and still not pinging on cheap gas.

Cool man Im glad they are working out for you. Keep the forum updated on your progress.

After I get my MS installed and all running I will do some mileage tests as well and report back.

So with a setup like Daves and ~12psi you could be getting into mid/high 20's intown? Then possible low 30's on the highway?

I would hazard a guess that to get significantly into the 30s (ESPECIALLY with ~300 horse) you would need to start paying serious attention to aerodynamic details, no matter how advanced your engine management was... but I may be going out on a limb there. I would NEVER have been so happy to have my foot stuck in my mouth, heh...

Daeron could be talking about flywheel HP, because 240-250 would be right around 300 fly HP.

I myself am only shooting for around 210-230 wheel hp. I still wanna see 40mpg someday, which might be possible with the ZX aero.

Daeron was taking a SWAG :redface:

I dont think much needs to be done necessarily to tidy up a couple key drag points, but proper mirror selection, good ducting of the air inflow to the front clip, and proper wheel sizing, anlong with possibly the wing deflectors on the windshield wipers, can go a surprisingly long way.

My point was merely that the shape of the S30 gives us an easy base from which, with some well-thought out attention to a few relatively minor details, we can build into a relatively low wind resistance machine. Highway speeds, and higher powered vehicles, will be benefiting from this every bit as much, if not moreso, that economy cars.

In the end.. isn't it just fascinating to envision having a sports car with this kinda performance and power... that you can ACTUALLY top 30 MPG with on a highway trip with ease?

The right steps, in a wide array of places, can attain wonders sometimes. I've been kept away from working on my car but its given me a long time to learn and plan, and This is gonna be FUN.

CygnusX-1, it's like a disease.....I'm constantly tuning! How lean are your AFR's when you are cruising around?

I have a nice conservative map when the boost comes on (around 12psi or so) but with MAP around 30 or 40 I have it leaned out to 15.5 from around 2500 to 3500 rpm. Not sure of the mileage right now but is that anything close to what your AFR's are showing while on the highway?