HybridZ

Cyclists, casual bike riders, Seat/Saddle recommendations?

Sparky

I was inspired by Zero's ultra cool Bamboo bike to re-animate my long rigor-mortised Fixie project and too also get some ideas for my daily rider MotoBecane.

The Fixie comes second at this point simply because its just parts now, but my Motobecane is in desperate need of a new toosh cushion...the original 1972 piece is just not doing it for me. I'm looking for opinions on saddles in the price range of 0-150$ (I say zero$ because I'm looking locally for a saddle that needs recovering so I can save some scrilla) My Daily commute is rough Urban streets, lots of stops with maybe one mile of flat out. I do ride this bike occasionally on 20+ mile journeys but not very often. here is a pic of the offending member and its associated bits:

IMG_2029.jpg

Any Ideas?

I would like to re-wrap the bars in beige leather so if I could find a comfy seat that matches I would be all over it.

anything with titanium rails will be comfy. and may not be too expensive. when i was racing bicycles for a living, i would ride whatever someone gave me, bike or parts. shoes, helmet, and saddle were not a part of my sponsorship hunt because it took forever to find ones that fit me and i did not want to go back. the last year, northwave gave us shoes. could not get a pair that fit me. bell gave us helmets, same thing. some one else gave us saddles, same. i tried but the saddles gave me saddle sores somethin fierce. (if you dont know, its a boil on your ass from chaffing or presseure points. i had one during super week in wisconsin one year so bad that i cut a hole in the seat so that i did not put direct pressure on the sore. fuuuunnnnn). try out as many as you can. if they are not very comy right away, chances are they wont be comfy many mile from now. and exerciser bike seats are not comfy either. some of the best comfort saddles were the narrowest. like the flite carbon seats. try as many outas you can.

jimbo

Why not recover the old seat with more padding, and then your leather of choice?

The plastic under the seat is broken and cracked in several places, there are also a few pieces missing. I also think that visually a modern seat will compliment the look of the bike without being too obnoxious and loud. I could be wrong though! ;)

that Felt looks good...hmmm. I've been eyeing the Selle Italia seats for the last few hours...some of them are 500$?!! thats crazy talk!

Why are my hobbies so expensive...why couldnt I just listen to my mum and collect precious moments figurines.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/

Search their online store. I have Fizik saddles on all 3 of my bikes. If you've been off the bike for a while, no saddle will be comfortable until you rebuild those "sit callouses". Make sure you also have some good cycling shorts and you get a good bike fit by a professional.

http://www.titusti.com/08/mtn/rxti.php

All the selle italia saddles i've been on felt good. I've got an older doda on my fixie, which used to be on my roadie, which also took me from houston to austin without a complaint.

The general idea is to test as many saddles as you can and find "the one".

the other general idea is that a leather saddle will conform to you, and it will be the last saddle you buy. I love the looks of a trimmed brooks.

here's a good read on saddles:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

I had the Planet Bike ARS on my daily road bike. I have over 2000 miles on that saddle and I love it. The race bike is a completly different seat but im not on it everyday. This one works for me because its super narrow and lightweight like a race one but with an inch or so of padding.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/SA602A00-Planet+Bike+Ars+Anatomic+Saddle.aspx