HybridZ

New Rims..dove head first off cliff

Well I checked out the local (1hr away) shop that does custom wheels. I trekked out to north Toronto (Richmond Hill) and checked out their shop and sized up their operation and their people. I talked to them about their experience with Z's, and whether or not they personally like them..(I am extremely picky when it comes to my Z money) I spent an hour with the manager, and I think I can trust them. I was looking at all kinds of different options/prices.

Well I kinda took a freaking dive off a cliff, and decided (4-6weeks delivery time) is just about the time I'll be prepping the Z to come out of hibernation.

I ended up going with a Simmons wheel. 17x11 with -36mm offset, and a 17x8 front with zero offset.

And a matching set of Yokohama AVS 315/35/17 and 235/40/17. bonk.gif

here is a pic of the wheels.. just try and image them dished another 4 inches or more.

OM18lrg.jpg

And yes they were not cheap, if your curious, and have a strong stomach.. puke.gif

Steep $ though.. (crappy Canadian $)

$5200.00 Installed. wheels/tires. eek2.gifeek2.gif

On a lighter note.

My Epsilon 3 Piece wheels 16x9 and 16x7 mesh style with 225/50/16 BFG KDW's and Kumo victoracer 700's 265/45/16's will be for sale shortly after my rims are installed.

Here is a pic of them.

I know its mainly a pic of my engine, but it shows the front rims in decent detail.

ZR8ED_1037638199.jpg

Oh I'm pretty sure they will fit just fine under my rear flares.

ZR8ED_1037638353.jpg

My 265's have more than 3" of clearance as it is...

ON3GO..My tires have less than 500miles on them.

I'm looking in the neighbourhood of $1000.00 USD for my rims/tires

ZR8ED - Those are the OM16s right? I looked at them a while ago for my '83 ZXT and decided they were a little too exotic for my wallet - I absolutely love them and great choice. Its cool that they are totally custom and you can get a massive variety in sizes, widths and offsets. They will look sweet on your car.

Which shop in Richmomd Hill did you go to?

I would have recommended Wheels Direct in Scarborough east of Kennedy on the north side of Finch. I know the owner really well and he has done lots of Simmons on 5.0L LXs.

Regards - Yasin

Slownrusty: The shop was called "Wheel and tire zone" Guy who was managing it said he ran "Tire mag" for 10 years before that, and knew Greg Whitehead for a long time.

Anyways, they are on 11300 Younge st. in Richmond Hill. Next door to several car dealerships.

Hmm Wheels direct? I've heard the name, but don't know about them or anyone who has dealt with them.

Figures eh?.. getting advice about local rim shops from a guy 4300miles away.. twak.gif

Thanks for the tip though! cheers.gif

Well if things change and you want to check out Wheels Direct - the owner'a name is Colin and his wife is Karen. They will definately look after you, make sure and tell them you are a good friend of mine.

Well Greg has done lots of business with Tire Mag spanning 20+ years, so I am not surprised that this guy in Richmond Hill knows him.

The shop is north of Elgin Mills right, on the west side of Yonge? If so I think I know, as I used to live in Richmond Hill.

You're right funny that a guy living across the continent is giving you advice - its a small world what can I say!

Good luck - Yasin

Guest Big Phil

Zred,

I think I'm going to follow you off that cliff. I sold my set of 17 inch 3 piece HRE wheels to Oltmann and I'm buying a set of Kinesis 3 piece K18R (retail $4400 a set).

Kinesis wheels

I have a hookup so they won't hurt my wallet too much. The HRE wheels were 17X7 front and 17X8 rear. I was going to move up to a 18 or 19 inch rim but after talking to several people, I decided the ride would be too stiff. I settled on 17X7.5 front and 17X8.5 rear without coilovers.

Welcome to the cliff Big Phil!! anyone else wanna join us? burnout.gif

You must be crazy! you already had wicked looking rims on the car.

Slownrusty: Yep thats exactly where the shop is.. west side of street two lights past Elgin Mills.

I'm pretty stoked about the whole deal!

rockon.gif

• 3 weeks later...

My Epsilon 3 Piece wheels 16x9 and 16x7 mesh style with 225/50/16 BFG KDW's and Kumo victoracer 700's 265/45/16's will be for sale shortly after my rims are installed.

Have you considered narrower tires? 195-215 would be better suited for a 7" wheel on a road race app, for your rear wheel that looks ok, most people are pickier about the fronts than the rears. My 195 on my 7" wheel now is following the same path that Porsche uses on thier GT cars, they stick 275s on 11" wide wheels.

I can't even fathom putting such tiny tires on Z. I had 195's as stock, and upgraded to 205 a year later.

The autoX guys were telling me 10years ago that a 225/50/15 was about the perfect tire for our cars considering handling capabilities, hp, and braking abilities. Not too much tire to keep weights minimal, and yet enough rubber to hold the cornering forces and braking duties.

I would never put anything under a 225 on Z ever again...

Now from the "Image" point of view, I don't like the narrow tires on the Z. A 215 looks mean on our cars...when it is on a 14 or 15 inch rim. On 16's and 17', it gives the illusion of them being tall and thin...(195's on 18" rims on a honda are down right laughable)..look almost like bicycle tires.

I notice that most hopped up imports rarely go wider that stock...maybe 1 or 2 sizes tops...thy just increase the diameter. Not sure why, when sometimes they are tripleing their hp.

If your going for some serious increase in power, and you intend on using street tires, then width is a must. (ever watch a mildly modded supra tt fry off his tires trying to get traction off the line or worse, with downshifting and fishtailing all over the road...looks cool...goes slow...

My new wheels are shooting for a combo effect..fill the wheel wells, and optimize traction and handling, while using a streetable tire.