HybridZ

Anyone using OEM EMS systems?

Gollum

I've been learning more and more about tuning EFI systems, and I've been quite amazed at how many OEM systems can easily keep up or out class many of the super expensive stand alone systems.

So is anyone out there using OEM systems they've adapted to their application?

There's several guys who have done the 300ZX ECU swap, and the 88-89 ECUs are very VERY nice from what I've seen, and you could easily get a programmable eprom system for a price comparable to megasquirt.

So why havn't i seen anyone doing this? It seems like if you found a 88-89 300ZX in a junkyard you could just pull the entire EFI system for $50-$100, then add a programmable EPROM for around $200 and you're good to go. You can even upgrade to a MAF with higher resolution and able to measure more air. And you'll get a nice OEM wiring harness that'd probably be easier to modify than making one from scratch.

Am I alone in considering this?

Many GM guys I know use the factory computers - even to the point of using a dead stock PROM (at least for mildly modified motors). The greatest advantage, of course, is that the ECU is designed with that particular motor/vehicle in mind, and visa-versa. Downside, the ECUs weren't designed with customization in mind, other than model-specific PROMs.

That being said, the GM (and some other) ECUs have been reverse-engineered and hacked to a remarkable degree. The behavior of some hardware and software are understood down to the clock cycle. As a result, there's a bunch of knowledge available out there concerning modification, as well as a bunch of hardware/software to facilitate said mods.

That being said, the aftermarket computers (such as MegaSquirt) are seeing a huge surge in popularity. They, too, are well understood and (generally) well-documented. And, they have the advantage of being designed from scratch to be tuned.

It's fun stuff. Good luck!

I've been learning more and more about tuning EFI systems, and I've been quite amazed at how many OEM systems can easily keep up or out class many of the super expensive stand alone systems.

So is anyone out there using OEM systems they've adapted to their application?

There's several guys who have done the 300ZX ECU swap, and the 88-89 ECUs are very VERY nice from what I've seen, and you could easily get a programmable eprom system for a price comparable to megasquirt.

So why havn't i seen anyone doing this? It seems like if you found a 88-89 300ZX in a junkyard you could just pull the entire EFI system for $50-$100, then add a programmable EPROM for around $200 and you're good to go. You can even upgrade to a MAF with higher resolution and able to measure more air. And you'll get a nice OEM wiring harness that'd probably be easier to modify than making one from scratch.

Am I alone in considering this?

I swapped to the z31 ecu in '99. From what I have seen there is no advantage in a standalone until you get to an extreme duty for most engines. Many will argue that they don't want to deal with a maf, some won't want to learn how to tune an eprom, a lot of people are influenced by hype and or info from vendors. I'll swap to a standalone when I've outgrown a oem ecu.

I'll swap to a standalone when I've outgrown a oem ecu.

QFT!!!

I will be using GM ECMs in my swaps. In my previous Typhony incarnation (see sig for link), I used a '7730 ECM with am EEPROM that had a stock code for a turbo 3.1, it wasn't ideal but it worked.

I will be using a '7749 with custom code ($59 www.code59.org), for greater flexibility in tuning.

I plan to use the same basic set-up for the 240, once I get to the point of swapping to EFI or when I swap the built engine in. The EFI swap might take place sooner depending on how much work the carbs really need.

OEM EFI can do so much, people just don't seem to want to learn about them or buy into the hype about the aftermarket systems.

I did look into Mega Squirt back when it first came out, but it didn't do nearly enough of what I needed it to do. No spark control, no emmsisions control and very basic fuel control. Then with the addition of spark control and a few other features that were added, I re-considered it, but after looking at the price of the MSnS system, and what the tuning equipment cost to tune the GM ECMs I decided that sticking with the GM ECM was still the better choice, as it does everything I need it to and more, including emmisions controls.

What DID you say before editing your message INSANE? Lemme guess... "where have people done the 300ZX ECU swap?"

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm surprised to see such a quick responce from others that think the same way I do about OEM EMS systems.

I myself am thinking about going with a late model Z31 system if I ever want a better EFI system for my L28ET. I like the features it has, and I like how cheap I could get it into my car. :D

What DID you say before editing your message INSANE? Lemme guess... "where have people done the 300ZX ECU swap?"

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm surprised to see such a quick responce from others that think the same way I do about OEM EMS systems.

I myself am thinking about going with a late model Z31 system if I ever want a better EFI system for my L28ET. I like the features it has, and I like how cheap I could get it into my car. :D

Nah more along the line's of "I remember a thread detailing the ecu swap process could I get a link?"

I don't feel to dumb considering I really never look around this part of the forum, The thread was stickied lol.