HybridZ

While your at it project Z

Well I took down the rear suspension in the little Z for some r&r and figured that that "while I was at it" what the hell lets go nuts! bonk.gif

I have a full master bushing set from Hyper-Flex just waiting to be installed sitting on my kitchen table. I have ordered a new rear differential cover for the R-200. But you know I just cant order the cover. Ohhhhhh no I have to order brand new cover bolts, filler plug, drain plug and gasket! eek2.gif You know while I'm at it.

But before all that can be put together, I have to sand and paint all the suspension parts and diff....while I'm at it.

I have even considered going ahead and charging up a pair of those cool Nissan rear disk brake conversion kits on my master card. You know because while I'm at it! Credit cards are great huh, until the freaking bill arrives fmad.gif

And lets not even talk about the coil overs that would be killer on the Z.

So I figure I will be done with the project sometime in the next 10 years or so. While I'm at it I may as well start on the front suspension too! twak.gif Yeah that's the ticket

That "While your at it" addiction is a killer! And there is no 12-step program to help you sober up. bonk.gif

My VR project started out as a 'simple' rebody on my existing STOCK 240. Then came my intro to 'While your at it.' It started innocently enough: New bushing kit here, better struts there...

Then I found HybridZ and the true addiction took over. twak.gif Had to have a V8 and a 6-spd. Needed a better suspension and brakes to handle the increased HP/torque/speed. (coil-overs, big brake upgrade, 5 lug upgrade, Pete's subframe connectors). Of course that means I need a rotisserrie and a complete tear down of the car. New wiring harness, racing seats, fuel cell and the list goes on and on and on and...

If my wife ever finds out how much I have spent and how much I still need to spend I will have to move to Mexico and change my name! :D

At least your here among friends.. hmm "Zedaholics anonymous" (sp?)

As long as you have $ and your Z, you can't be cured.

my "while its apart" stories are many..all with happy endings..some needed lots of blood/force/willpower/spite/ego, and yes lots "O" $$$$

When I first got this disease, I used to think others like me were nuts.. bonk.gif

Now I've joined the ranks of "nutdome".. maybe even a little nuttier.. flamedevil.gif

The "while I'm At it" symdrome has been played out on this board quite a few times. Then there's the wife thing, mine just asked me this morning when the Z is going to be done. I gave her a blank look for a minute and carefully explaned (she's pregnant with our first child) that the Z will never be "done". There's always something to fix-redo-fabricate-adjust-clean/paint-replace-modify-upgrade,etc. If I ever get "done" with it I'll probably sell it and buy another one to fix up-that's just how insidious this affliction is.

I am trying to avoid the "while I am at it" syndrome by planning a complete teardown and rebuild from the beginning. The truly sad part is that I haven't even started on the Z yet, and I am already planning the "wife's" hot rod.

I think I'm going to have to vote jeromio as the best "while I was at it" canidate. Since I have been on this site, that guy has updated us with many "while I was at it" stories :D . We all have this particular syndrome, just some are better at repressing it than others. Then there are the guys that no drug could cure:

-almost a decade to finish his car?

-8 second passes in the 1320?

-full fiberglass rebody of his Z?

-and many more

You know who you are... ;) You're all nutz :D

!M!

Guest Anonymous

Easy solution is find a Girlfriend(wife) that is as nutty about cars as you are. However mine is into Corvettes cry2.gif Talk about pricey.... we're restoring her 1973 stingray .......

Anyway.....there are a couple out there so if your single DON'T settle for a woman that cant understand your addictions :D

The "While I'm at it" syndrome. It is a very dangerous sickness. If you have developed this syndrome, don't worry it is normal. But there are few measures to which you must stringently adhere:

1. Never convey a new "while I'm at it" to your SO.*

2. Research the idea until you are sick of it, if symptoms continue, see measure 3.

3. try to justify your idea until you can no longer think of it as wrong.

4. (VERY IMPORTANT) Find the least expensive way to achieve your goal, if possible.**

5. Accomplish "while I'm at it" idea in shortest period possible.***

*: If singnificat other has also developed the "while I'm at it" syndrome, the negative effects of your syndrome can be lessened by not resisting SO's syndrome. (hint, use it against them!)

**: This method can lessen conflict with SO.

***: If you fail to accomplish this, you may experience many adverse emotions related to "while I'm at it" project, and project stagnance may incur. See The "I'll do it later" syndrome, P. 37 Joe's Guide to Insanity, Methods to Cope With.

Yeah....I'm very bored today, I've developed the "I'll do it Later" syndrome, mixed with numerous "while I'm at it" symptoms. :D

you guys are forgetting Pete Paraska... how long did his project take to complete?

I know mine will never be finished. I'll keep changing thing son my car until the end of time...

Joe.

Daryl do not I repeat do not give me any more ideas at this point! :shock: I am almost ready to bolt everything back up to the rear of the car. I have pressure washed and sanded almost everything back there and of course gave it a cool home made pait job. I mean its like telling an alcoholic to take another drink :cheers:

:cry2:Don't even get me started on this topic!!

I have been collecting roughly DOUBLE the suspension parts to keep one on the car while I drive it, and the other for modifications, powdercoating and/or painting---it is just out of hand I tell you.

:roll::roll::roll:

Davy :?

im amolst as bad as you guys.

only thing with me is i dont have the 240Z yet for me to start my project.

I have about 10 books full of paper thats full of lists, ideas, concepts, etc etc. i even drew my own front air damn styles, dash panels.

i did a color code chart, and even comments on what paint color would go good with another color.

i have Tire size charts. Rim size charts.

pages full of Links for online stores.

i have price charts at the ying yang.

even the junk yards know me by my 1st name.

I even have parts for the Car that i dont have yet.

plus this site doesnt help much :D.

gotta love it.

mike

I've been kinda smart ( don't ask my wife that! :D ), I bought a completely torn apart 78 280 and I have been slowly putting it together for a SBC 377 swap. I also have a parts car. But I can never truley settle with what I am going to do until it's done, and then only maybe!! So while I hope to have it on the road this summer I am probably dreaming!!

• 2 weeks later...
you guys are forgetting Pete Paraska... how long did his project take to complete?

Joe.

Joe, I have no idea what you're talking about :)

BTW, it's NEVER finished. Well if you total it. I guess it is.

The time frame, start to finish, was 11 years. But many months went

by in that time when I didn't do anything on it. Lot's of Start-Stop.

Done Heh heh heh, done ... No I definitely don't think it will ever be done. I am right now scaling back my plans to fit my budget..... well Ok, maybe twice the amount of money I have instead of 4 times... :D , and I still am deluding myself with the idea that it will be driveable this summer! I should have my 377 back from the machine shop in a few weeks!! Whoo Hoo!