HybridZ

moving an engine without a hoist...?

MJLamberson

Wait....your going to put an engine in the back of a z???.And to boot your going to do it minus an engine hoist??.

You should go to your local VIP autozone or whatever and get one,they arent that much.Sure you could move it around otherwise,if you have a tractor with a bucket,or perhaps a forklift?

Evan offered a great suggestion. Rent a truck from U-haul or Home Depot, etc. and put the engine in the back. Ask the gentleman you are buying the engine from if he let you borrow the hoist or you could ask him to come along and throw $20+ his way for his troubles.

Guest TeamNissan

I think thats the national price for the home depot truck 1st hour. 30$ is about right for the small uhaul truck, then you pay per mile.

Back of your z by hand lol, what are you thinking man?

Back of your z by hand lol, what are you thinking man?

you mis understood, Id put it in there with a hoist (the seller has one), as always Im trying to spend as little as possable on this, would it be easy enough to take apart the head/block and unload it with a couple of friends? how much do blocks and heads weigh anyways?

Guest TeamNissan

No I understood lol, its silly man.

COMPLETELY(bare block, no internals) disassembled you and one other person could load/unload it all with no problem.

Sunbelt Rentals (if they have one in Napa) has engine hoists you can rent, either towable or ones that disassemble. They cost $28 per day. I would SERIOUSLY look at buying a hoist on Craigslist though. I bought a 2-ton Harbor Freight hoist that was used just ONCE for $50.

You have to remember that your friend's hoist will help you load and unload the engine this time. However, you still have to PULL your old engine out of the Z (hoist) and then put the new engine IN your Z (hoist). Look for a deal on CL and save yourself the headache as well as money.

I will keep my eyes open but Im pretty dang broke right now... Im not planning to just swap engines asap, I want to rebuild this one, then turbo it, then drop it in the Z. It will be an incredable learning experience and because my Z has a reliable engine in it now I wont be in a rush to finish this one... as my budget allows I guess

Pull the head off before you load it. Two guys can lift a shortblock without too much drama. My dad and I pulled and engine out of my first Z when I was 14 this way (MANY years ago). Hell I load/unloaded the bare block myself into the back of my Focus dd to take to the machine shop.

Cameron