HybridZ

If you don't like old Bimmers - check this out...

Gareth

Nice :icon6:. How does the M30 engine compare to the M50 as far as power potential, cost, and reliability? I'd love to swap a turbo BMW straight 6 in a E30.

In terms of all-out power potential, the M30 should be able to deliver more power than the M50, simply because of the larger displacement (the M30 block can be taken up to 4 liters without any space-technology parts). The M30 is much older, which makes it much easier and cheaper to get. As far as the reliability is concerned... I know a few people who drive their M30-powered cars to the limit, and they never missed a beat. The only trouble may be the L-Jetronic fuel injection (very similar to the 280Z FI), but with a piggyback computer it should be easy to solve all the problems connected with the ECU. Did the US market get the factory M30 turbo engine in the E23 745i? I know of a few that were swapped into E30s and even E21s, and IIRC most of them are driven daily without problems. For simplicity and more power potential, I'd go with the M30 over the M50 any time. Maybe it's just that I like old engines...

Gareth - We never got the Turbo 745i E23s here, although there are a few that were imported into the US privately.

That video is pretty amazing and shows that those BMW straight sixes take extremely well to force induction. That particular car seems very rough sounding and not perfectly set-up, rough idle, very stiff, unfinished I guess but there is no denying that power and I should be the last to comment, I am still VERY impressed.

Yasin

Gareth - We never got the Turbo 745i E23s here, although there are a few that were imported into the US privately.

That's a pity, because importing an engine as old as the M30 turbo would be nonsense, especially when considering the shipping costs. It would be much easier to gather a pile of turbo-specific M30 parts and build the engines locally.

crazy northern Europeans....LOL

WOW. The best part of it is that it's not an M30... In fact, it's a M20, the smaller inline six, also offered in the E30.

Thats a new Bimmmer, my first and only was a 62 BMW 700 Sport Coupe. Now thats and old bimmer.

That's true, but for most Europeans the E34 is already an "old" car, in a similar way that any late '80s-early '90s car in the USA could be. I'm searching for an M30-powered 5 series (E28) for a daily driver. I think I found the right car, but I still need to get some pictures from the seller... I'll post 'em up when I get them.