HybridZ

I'm stuck between two motors

mattyice

Well guys After really debating what i want to do with my 240Z i have at least narrowed it down to two motors i want to put into it....the first is a SR20DET, which is a pretty common swap and an awesome swap from what i have seen, but then i was thinking...for the past 4 years i have had 3 SRT-4's, two neons, and now my caliber...within an hour of me is the best SRT-4 tuner/builder in the US, i began to think, i know the neon SRT-4 engine pretty well, work on it all the time, and love the ease of power that can be made from it, so here is my plan that im working on getting prices on

-A853 Neon SRT-4 motor

-Jeep Liberty RWD transmission

-Jeep liberty drive shaft (front portion to fit to the tranny)

-Silvia S13 driveshaft (rear portion to fit to the rear end)

-AEM EMS

-Custom engine and tranny mounts

With all of that and the bolt ons i have planned...New oiling system, custom sheet metal intake manifold, custom V-mount intercooler and radiator setup, custom turbo manifold, GT2871R, and the 300ZX rear end, and having RealTune Performance tune it all im guessing i could very cheaply put down 400 WHP with these benefits...

-Cast block for strength

-internals proven to handle 400 WHP (about 450-500 with rods and new oiling system)

-an amazing fabrication shop that has experience with the motor

-4 cylinder motor with a large displacement

-awesome torque curve

-parts are extremely easy to come by

So what do you guys think? am i ruining the Z by doing this? should i stick with the SR20? or should i bite the built and go for it?

because the potential for the A853 is incredible for a 4 cylinder engine

-stock internal potential (with balance shafts removed) over 400 HP

-with just an upgraded oil pump its over 450

-pistons and rods and the engine has withstood 500

-with crank straps over 700 is possible on the stock crank

-with a 2.6L stroker the motor has been proven numerous times to put down over 1000 HP

i would say that an lsx engine has far less bang for the buck then a $600 complete engine and tranny setup

I've decided to keep it in the family with my first Z and go with the SR20 though

Guest carsrule123
Well guys After really debating what i want to do with my 240Z i have at least narrowed it down to two motors i want to put into it....the first is a SR20DET, which is a pretty common swap and an awesome swap from what i have seen, but then i was thinking...for the past 4 years i have had 3 SRT-4's, two neons, and now my caliber...within an hour of me is the best SRT-4 tuner/builder in the US, i began to think, i know the neon SRT-4 engine pretty well, work on it all the time, and love the ease of power that can be made from it, so here is my plan that im working on getting prices on

-A853 Neon SRT-4 motor

-Jeep Liberty RWD transmission

-Jeep liberty drive shaft (front portion to fit to the tranny)

-Silvia S13 driveshaft (rear portion to fit to the rear end)

-AEM EMS

-Custom engine and tranny mounts

With all of that and the bolt ons i have planned...New oiling system, custom sheet metal intake manifold, custom V-mount intercooler and radiator setup, custom turbo manifold, GT2871R, and the 300ZX rear end, and having RealTune Performance tune it all im guessing i could very cheaply put down 400 WHP with these benefits...

-Cast block for strength

-internals proven to handle 400 WHP (about 450-500 with rods and new oiling system)

-an amazing fabrication shop that has experience with the motor

-4 cylinder motor with a large displacement

-awesome torque curve

-parts are extremely easy to come by

So what do you guys think? am i ruining the Z by doing this? should i stick with the SR20? or should i bite the built and go for it?

try the sr20det cost roughly 3,000 they make big power

If that Liberty transmission isn't strong enough, the Supra R154 transmission can be used. Good for a bit more, not bullet proof though like the V160 is though.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=121229

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=120957

http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71020

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/archive/index.php/t-4740.html

"The Jeep/Dodge AX15 5-speed, the Jeep NV3550 5-speed, the Jeep NV1500, the Toyota R150F & R151F, the 87-92 Toyota Supra Turbo R154, the Isuzu AR5 and the Pontiac SolsticeSaturn SkyChevy Colorado GMC Canyon MA5 5-speeds all share the same case to bellhousing bolt pattern (Large Pattern). As such there are a number of possibilities that can be had when a 5-speed is desired:"

" 03-04 Jeep LibertyTJ 2.4L bellhousing: Connects NV1500 to 2.4L SOHCDOHC NeonSRT-4PT Cruiser L4 (See info at #11)"

if you are just going for speed id suggest LSx swap.

but i can understand wanting to do something diffrent. and you seem to really like the Mopar turbo 4s. so why not do it? have something diffrent than anyone else. the SRT4 neons can be quick with minimal mods, so putting it in a lighter and better platform would net even quicker times. look for a complete wrecked SRT4, put the dash, brakes, wheels, interior, seats motor, radiator, intercooler etc into the 240Z, it would be a really cool swap and unique when you are done (which is the whole purpose of doing a swap)

• Administrators
"Stuck between two motors"

Ouch! I hope it doesn't hurt...if one is a four-cylinder it might not hurt as bad as being stuck between a V8 or L6. (j/k my dry humor couldn't resist)

Funny, I was thinking the same thing before I opened... must be the water :wink:

Guy's, he asked opinions on two specific motors...

After really debating what i want to do with my 240Z i have at least narrowed it down to two motors i want to put into it....

Lets go with those... we have plenty of 'this engine is better' threads.