HybridZ

from showing off to running like crap, what happend?

In my 280 today I was revving the engine to about 6 k once or twice, and now the car runs like crap, huge power loss. everything is still plugged in and all, any ideas? almost seams like its only running on 4 cylinders, It has done this once before but it fixed it self very fast, now it runs like crap.

Thats what I was thinking. It is not uncommon for an engine with a lot of miles on it to pop a rocker off when revved that high. Pull the valve cover and do an inspection.

Dragonfly

and what should I be looking for? also, when it first did this the problem went away in a short period of time, is that possable with the valve train?

so can anybody tell me what exactly I should be looking for? I hate to keep bugging you guys but you know how it is when something is wrong with your car

Been gone all day... When you look at the valve train look to see if one of the rockers has popped off of a valve. Most likely if it has the rocker will be laying loose in the area below the cam, also you will find a valve spring assembly with no rocker on it and it would most likely be missing the lash pad as well. Take a look at this thread to see pictures of everything I am talking about http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=126252. Below is a picture of what the valve train would look like if missing a rocker.

P3280010.jpg

If it is not something this simple your going to be quite busy wringing out the problem. Any way let us know what you find after pulling the valve cover.

Dragonfly

If you find it has come off and you want to put it back on make sure that the cam lobe is pointed upward like in the photo. It will take a little bit of work to get it back on as well as the very real posiblity of adding a little of your own blood to the oil. If you do not have a valve spring compressor that will work with the head on the engine the best way to put the rocker back on is to take two fairly large flat head screwdrivers, place the tips on either side of the spring retainer (make sure your lash pad is in place and facing the correct direction first) with the shafts coming back towards you on either side of the cam lobe. Using one hand to raise the backs of the screwdrivers and the cam as a pivot point to push the spring down carefuly put the tip of the rocker onto the lash pad and the back of the rocker over the pivot, now release the pressure on the screwdrivers and everything should be good.

It would also be a good idea at this time to check your valve lash on all your valves. Also if the screwdirvers just will not stay on the spring retainer go ahead and lower the pivot as far as you can and you may be able to put the rocker on without compressing the spring any but if you do that you absolutely have to reset your valve lash on at least that one.

Dragonfly