HybridZ

Price of L24 + 5-speed tranny?

mull

Since no-one has replied to my last post in my project thread I'm springing

the questiong to this part of the forum. So, here goes:

Oh, and the original L24 engine (along with 5-speed tranny) is pretty much sold.

Haven't been paid or shipped it yet, so I thought I'd check if it's just a plain

old regular original L24. If anyone can make anything out of these numbers:

L24engine.jpg

What's the "retail" on a L24 with a 5 speed by the way? The odometer said about

60 000 miles when the engine was pulled/car torn apart - but who knows for sure.

Judging from the rest of the car I'd say it's been to the moon and back... :)

Hey Philip, since we're in Europe and almost no one needs stock L24s, I don't think you could get much for it. As a comparison, I paid 50€ for my L28 longblock. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who'd need an L24.

As far as I know, P30 are the earliest blocks available in the 240Z with the L24 engine. Do you know what kind of head it has? IIRC your Z is a 73, so it should have the E88 head. Does it have roundtop or flattop carbs?

As far as I know, P30 are the earliest blocks available in the 240Z with the L24 engine. Do you know what kind of head it has? IIRC your Z is a 73, so it should have the E88 head. Does it have roundtop or flattop carbs?

Thanks for the info. As for the head, I dunno. I'll check later. Carbs are round top. Nice and shiny ones :)

DSC02191.sized.jpg

Im pretty sure the 5spd tranny should be worth some money. It depends if its a A 5psd 1977-1979Z's or a B 5spd 1981-1983. The B boxes have a much taller 5th gear and are more desireable. As for Euro prices.. Im not sure.. For US prices I would say around 100-150 for the A box and 150 up for the B box.

If it's a '73, you could pull the 9mm rods and sell them on ebay if you can't sell it complete. I think the rods usually go for $70 - $100 US depending on how bad someone wants them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Engine sold. Got about 9,5 sets of rods worth... : )

I get a little over $900 for the engine/gearbox and no-one even raises an eyebrow? :P

I was expecting comments like "Wow, you could sell snow to a Yeti!" or "Yeah right, ever hear the one about little red riding hood?" :D

wholy crap man.. LOL.. you could sell a ketchup popsickle to a little girl wearing a white dress on a hot summer day!!.. :)

man congrats on the money for the old drive train.. I think that might be a recored LOL..

PYP Prices in So Cal have risen with the advent of some marketing guy realizing selling parts for their scrap value, while making for a brisk resale / salvage business, 'left money on the table' so now a transmission costs you $180, instead of the former $75, and the engine will run you around $250 with all accessories.

Retail, probably double those numbers. Routinely I see L-Engines sell for $450, and the transmissions for almost as much if they are sought after (like an early a-box five speed)...normally a tranny will be in the $250 range. So in SoCal, I'd expect someone to reasonably expect $700 for the pair if bought separately, and probably $500 if bought together.

Separates always seem to sell for more. Pieces parts, you know?

That's why just about any Z-Car is easily worth $500, as long as it has engine, tranny and third member, you can recover costs and make it a 'freebie'.

My wife, of course, does not understand this, and says to 'get rid of the junk in the yard'---hopefully it's all too heavy for her to move while I'm working on the road.