HybridZ

TR's 260z L28 Build Thread

It has been done. After 3 weeks, and lots of cussing, the Z is running fuel injected. I just got back from my first tuning run to get things generally dialed in. Tuning is fun :D

Now that everything has been tested, I need to go back and permanently mount and wire everything. Should be able to accomplish most of that tonight, then it'll all be tuning from there! I'll post up pics when everything is permanent.

I'll take a vid a little later into the process. It's pretty boring right now, I'm going VERY easy on it. I still need to block off the dizzy port (had some oil slung onto my headers, the smoke scared the crap out of me), and do some more finalization stuff. I'll see about taking a vid and some pics this weekend.

Never mentioned it here, but I had some initial issues with MegaTune locking up frequently. I think I have it fixed now, and was able to get a good 5 minutes without it locking up. Now the tuning REALLY begins!

Thanks to jeffer949 for the DIYefi link and suggestion!

http://www.diyefi.org/forum/viewtopi...49e36&start=10

The thing that, in addition to the above mod, actually fixed my lockups was plugging the usb-serial adapter directly into the laptop with a hefty serial cable going from it to MS.

10206_thumb.attach

Sounds mean! I had a Magnaflow stock style muffler put on and it sounds like a V6 Camry :roll: Needless to say, there will be some sawzall action tonight! It sounded so amazing with the open downpipe... like a ferrari and a jet engine had babies.

Revs fall off kinda slow so shifting is weird (T5 doesn't help either) but to at least prove mine now drives too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRK_0b4eVqE

No tach so I'm shifting early. Will do a better run after I get my tach and boost gauges online. I know this engine supposedly only has 30 hp more but it really feels like a different car now. :icon54:

24mpg. That's right, you heard me, 24mpg. That's 90% city driving, with WOT tuning runs on the highway. Freakin awesome.

That's probably not 100% accurate, but it's close. My car is supposed to have a 3.36 diff, so I ordered that pinion and put it in the 240sx trans. My speedo reads a little high, so I guess somehow I must actually have a 3.54.

Car's lookin good Zeerari, you should come up for a weekend and we can install my rear end bushings or something :D

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late update, but it's been a busy past couple of days.

Long story short, burned up my ZX alternator by running it as well as the internal voltage regulator. Did the IR bypass and picked up a 240sx alternator... now my voltage is ridiculously stable, and the headlights are super bright, it's awesome.

I'm getting some occasional MAP spikes and some very rare CLT spikes showing up in my datalogs. Driving around, it feels like a reset or cutout when it happens. I guess I'm still getting some noise into the system somewhere, so I'll have to try and track it down. I'm still using the Autozone Bosche plug wires, so Magnecors may be in my future if I can't nix the noise.

This cold weather is difficult with no IAC. I may have to see about adding one...

Well for whatever reason, the 240sx alternator is toast. I'm guessing it died of old age, only thing I can reason it to.

It served me well for about a week, then occasionally started putting out ridiculously high voltage (17v +) for short periods of time. Yesterday during a WOT onramp run it threw a voltage spike and blew some fuses, then went kaput.

I bought a new 280zx alternator for $50 through Autozone, so at least the warranty will give me peace of mind. Back now to nice stable voltages.

24mpg. That's right, you heard me, 24mpg. That's 90% city driving, with WOT tuning runs on the highway. Freakin awesome.

That's probably not 100% accurate, but it's close. My car is supposed to have a 3.36 diff, so I ordered that pinion and put it in the 240sx trans. My speedo reads a little high, so I guess somehow I must actually have a 3.54.

Car's lookin good Zeerari, you should come up for a weekend and we can install my rear end bushings or something :D

Keep dreaming! I just got my first tank mpg... 22.2 mpg! Amazing with all the sideways driving I've been doing :mrgreen: I only got 16-17 mpg with the carb'd 2.4 driving somewhat reasonably. As icing on the cake, gas is almost down to a buck fiddy :cheers:

So far so good on the new ZX alternator. Crossing my fingers that it'll last.

Took off the intake manifold last night and gasket matched it for the 240sx throttle body I've been running. I did a minor amount of actual porting, but this exercise was mainly to remove the ridiculous wall of metal the air was having to deal with. Throttle response seems to be a bit more predictable now, and I'm having to adjust my map a smidgen.

Before and after pics:

IMG_2996_thumb.JPG

IMG_3001_thumb.JPG

• 1 month later...

About time I'm getting around to posting this... Last week from about Monday through Thursday was spent replacing all the bushings in the rear with poly, and attempting to install a LSD and RT mount.

The LSD was a bust, come to find out it requires 30 spline axles, where I have 29 spline. The seller was unaware of this, and everyone is trying to work toward an affordable fix. For now I've put my old R180 back in, and it'll do fine for now.

The rear shocks were completely blown, and the diff mount was separated, allowing the diff to rise up about 1.5" and slap the retaining strap every time I accelerated.

So, with new poly bushings, the updated diff mount, Mat's old cut springs from flatblack, and his old tokicos, the car is SOLID. We also pulled the spindle pins to replace that joint's bushings, which is nice to have done. The pins were actually in good shape, so I reused them, and need to sell the ones I bought.

Now it's a completely different car to drive, I LOVE IT.

IMG_3070_thumb.JPG

IMG_3081_thumb.JPG

IMG_3076_thumb.JPG

IMG_3082_thumb.JPG

IMG_3071_thumb.JPG

IMG_3085_thumb.JPG

IMG_3088_thumb.JPG

IMG_3099_thumb.JPG

IMG_3105_thumb.JPG

As for today, I ditched the fusible links! :D

After my alternator fiasco, the 80amp one got a bit melty (I think the PO just replaced it with wire :confused2)

Got the idea to use the Scosche audio blocks from Walmart from the atlanticz website, and got it installed and working in like 10min. W00t! Just need to work on wire routing and mount it permanently sometime down the road.

IMG_3109_thumb.JPG