HybridZ

Pulsestar Pulse Plug... BS?

rudypoochris

Anyone use these Pulstar spark plugs:

http://www.pulstarplug.com/

I am inclined to think it is BS right from the get go since they didn't first appear on OEM applications, and because naturally consumable engine products are surrounded by junk. Just wondering if any of you guys have used them? They are ~$25 a plug so I do not plan on getting within 10 ft. of them unless they can make my 240z grow wings and fly.

CAUTION: Pulstar model recommendations are for stock' date=' unmodified engines. If you have added an aftermarket turbocharger, supercharger, nitrous or any other product that increases displacement or compression to your engine you will require a colder heat range pulse plug in order to avoid possible damage to your engine. For these applications please see our other great product at DirectHits or call us at 888-800-6700.

Of course, your savings will vary with the age and condition of your car, weather, and your driving habits.

The performance of your vehicle may vary with the age and condition of your car, weather, and your driving habits. Remember that pulse plugs are an investment.

Hmmm...

When it comes to OEM, you must realize that every dollar counts.

There is always a tradeoff between what is best and what will get the job done.

This must be the reason that the Z06 Vettes have electrically adjustable seats when everyone knows that manually adjustable would be lighter...

They probably would have come close to the difference in frame weight by going with lighter seats vs aluminum frame, and eliminated the problem they created for installing roll bars, but the bean counters said "keep the same seats - it's cheaper overall".

Not saying these plugs are better or worse, but money does cost, and if it's cheaper to receive a result another way, who is to argue?

• 1 month later...

I was having the discussion about 'wunderplugs' with someone else earlier this week. My story relates to large industrial engines. I ran a generating station, and we would use 96 spark plugs every two weeks. That's as long as $1.59 Champion D15Y plugs would last. We bought them in lots of 1000 a couple of times a year. The closest we EVER got to a cost-competitive plug that actually did something was the Splitfire. Our fuel consumption went down around 50KSCFM per generator per day, we got much more uniform EGT's, and cylinder to cylinder pressure variations decreased to nil. Problem was t hey only lasted around 4 days due to center electrod erosion. They used an Autolite plug as the base, and would not change to a different center electrode. It was a great deal at only $5 a plug. We begged and begged them to try to get another center electrode because of the positive results.

Now...we had people from Stitt sell us some plugs. They were special 'wunderplugs' (mind you, when Splitfire heard that I ordered around 3000 plugs a year and wasn't quibbling about the cost of $5 a plug, they outright GAVE me 300 plugs to test FREE, as long as I shared testing data with them.) These Stitt Plugs were comparable in every way to the Champions. They lasted two weeks, roughly. Cylinder misfires were roughly the same, kinda 'bouncy' on the KW meter when running... But HEY! They were rebuildable so we could buy six sets or so, and rotate them through their 'cleaning and rebuilding program'...

Thing was, the Stitt spark plug as $400 EACH, and the 'bargian rebuild cost' was $100 EACH.

That's right, we paid $400 EACH for 'testing' of their plugs, and they didn't work any damn better than the $1.59 Champion D15Y's we had been using for 10 years at that point. What a deal eh?

It was sad the Splitfire people couldn't get a better electrode, with the cost of Natural Gas, 50KSCFM a day would add up! For only $5 a plug they actually had the best performing plug in our engines ever. Problem was they only lasted 4 to 5 days, and the maintenance downtime was too much to change them that often. If they could have made it to 10 days, we would have bought them and been their sales example for Natural Gas pumping stations/generators nationwide.

So when you see the next $25 'wunderplug'...just remember, it could be worse! You could be up a Stitt Creek without a paddle!

S-AG22LB9.JPG

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!