HybridZ

I have a new baby!!!!

Gollum

I love those 2 block of wood in the grill...what are they there for?

They're holding the grill in place.

Congrats on the new toy,

You know It might not look like 1 million bucks, but I love Zs like yours. flat black or bad paint, kinda cool old school wheels, a bit beat up, but packing heat. nothing says cool like a car that seems like a total POS but can lay the smack down when called upon. I would seriously consider leaving the exterior as is and just clean up the engine bay a bit, add mega-squirt, and intercooler and be done with it for a bit. Don't get all wide eyed when it comes to new paint and new interior and blah blah blah, just drive the thing and enjoy it. :)

sweet deal eh!

Yea I agree. I'm not gonna be making this look like a million bucks anytime soon, and I'm not sure I'd want to. :D

how much boost are you planning on running?... looks great btw

IF I get an intercooler w/bov anytime soon, I might run as much as 10-12 psi. I don't really feel like fiddling with the EFI too much. I don't want to run super high fuel pressure just to keep it rich enough under boost, and I don't want to put a daily drive through the chaos of doing a MS conversion.

Very cool...but the Duck Tap on the right side door rocker panel looks scarry?

The door has some rust holes, but truly surprisingly enough, the rocker panels on this car look really solid. The front left fender has rust issues, the passanger door has rust issues, the hood has rust issues, but all of the actual chassis rust seems pretty minor, as though after blasting there'd only be the ocasional small hole or so. There's definately some rust, but nothing that screamed out at me as though whole sections would need replacing (though I don't really plan on doing any rust repair at this point)

I dunno... I recall last seeing someone bought it locally here a few years ago, and popped up on hybridz. It definitely looks a lot like his, especially the turn signal stuff... I dunno.

Well you have my plate # now. ;)

The previous owner I bought it from hadn't ever heard of hybridZ, not sure if that means anything. He "said" (seemed like an honest guy) that when he was looking at buying the car and saw the turbo motor he instantly said he'd take it, and paid 3k for it, which he later realized as a mistake.

The guys at his work kept saying that his girlfriend was pressuring him to sell it because it needed too much time and money which he didn't have. The guy works on tour buses for a living, I can't understand him not having the knowledge, but in my short time with him it felt like maybe he wasn't the most mechanically intuitive. Who knows.

================================

Car's current news:

The alternator wasn't grounded, and wasn't charging my battery, and left me stranded. Quick fix the next day solved that problem. Lucky me I know people that can come rescue me and charge my battery :D

The turn signal switch definately needs to come out and get a complete cleaning/lubing. The switch works, but it's hard to get it into the positions to make it work.

Changed the wipers... I can actually see in the rain now.

I have some other goodies like spark plugs I still need to install. It was a busier weekend than I was hoping for.

I have a feeling this thing is running super rich, but I don't really want to lean it out until I get matching injectors :( Oh well, I'll just be keeping an eye out at the junkyard.

I think for the price with the powerplant, it's a pretty decent deal. Work in progress, and I'm sure with proper fixes you'll enjoy it even more.

What made me think it was len's car was teh turn signal conversion and the dynamat stuff. His was also a rusty 75 280z with a l28et

Ok, I confirmed the tranny today...

...it's a nissan. I guess I knew in my gut it was a nissan tranny. I guess I just really wanted to trust the guy that obviously didn't know too much about these cars, but the shift feel... it wasn't sloppy enough to be the stock T5.

I think it's the 77-79 5 speed. I'm pretty sure it's not the 80' or 81'-83 5 speed, whick I'll most likely be changing it too, just to have better spacing, and better cruising RPMs. I don't like commuting at 3krpm.

Hey Gollum, that car must be magic for you! Your posts are getting much larger and athoritative! (this is a good thing) It is becoming harder to follow up after you posted, just can't think of anything to say:).

Ummm mabey its cuse you want that pic all over the board?!;) Just kidding, very nice car!

• 2 weeks later...

So is there something I should know about how len treated/abused the car? You people are talking like it's a curse.

I searched fl327's old posts and found some mentions of a 75' turbo but not a ton of details. If he was the one who sold it to the guy I bought it from then he pulled some pretty good moved. The guy I bought it from says he bought it for 3k and regreted it.

Just for an update:

Changed the injectors back to turbo injectors. Car is running better and already getting better milage, though I still need to tighten up the AFM some more, and I'm more convinced than ever that I need to get an adjustable FPR with a guage on it, since there were two spare FPRs in the box-o-spare parts.

The secondary switch on the headlight switch went out (the one that switched the tail lights and dash lights), so I went ahead and replaced it with a 20 amp toggle switch. Still need to find it a perminant home.

Still need to get around to changing the spark plugs.

Still need to get the exhaust leak fixed, though on the drive to work I was thinking about the EGR system and how there's no EGR installed on this car, and I sat there wondering if the hole in the manifold for EGR provision had been blocked off... I'll take a look at it soon.

I'm pretty sure the turbo needs to be replaced too, it's making a clicking noise under full boost (7psi) once I get to around 4k and above. It seems to have lessened with the new injectors, maybe it's running lean under boost. I might add another fuel pump in series and see if that helps, seeing as it' running the stock 280Z pump.

I also had to fix the alternator as it wasn't charging the battery. It wasn't grounded...

I'm going out to novato tonight to pull a driveshaft from a turbo car for my other car, and I'm gonna give the guy an offer for the drivetrain, though I'm not sure where on earth I'll put it.

I don't have any other threads going about this car, so I'll post the new info here.

There had been a clicking that I thought was the turbo, and would only show up when I was going hard on the car and had gotten it plenty warm. Usually started around 4k or so and didn't sound good. Because of it I tried to go easy on the car.

It was also stumbling a little here and there. At idle it would wander a bit and you could feel the inconsistant fires, though which ever cylinder it was it wasn't completely gone, that's for sure. I pulled injector plugs one by one and all of them were indeed firing to some extent, and that also helped me find my exhaust leak (cylinder 4).

Today before leaving to get lunch I loosened the distributor to see where the timing had been set. It was all the way clockwise, and I can't remeber if that's advanced or retarded off the top of my head. So I start the engine and gradually move it clockwise to find the stumbling point at idle, and it needed to be I'd guess 85-90% towards full clockwise lock, seems normal. going to the other side it wouldn't start to stumble until I got it to 95+% counter clockwise, which is near where it'd been set. So I set it "in the middle" between these points biased counter clockwise by about 5 degrees or so. I didn't have a timing light, and since that's closer to where it'd been that should be "safe" for now.

Tightened it up and drove to lunch.

Instantaneous difference. Before I could tell the engine didn't want to rev freely, and now it's reving very easily, boost is comming on sooner, and it's pulling WAY harder.

The clicking seems to be gone as well, makes me think it was detonation and makes me hope the engine didn't suffer too much.

So it seems the engine is happy now. Time to focus of the other two obvious mechanical problems:

1. Clunking when I shift hard

2. Extremely stiff rear left shock that almost feels frozen

I've put around $75 into this car tops (that includes new injectors) and I'm positive I could already turn around and sell this car for a decent profit. She's being a good girl. ;)

It's probable that the hard clunking is the differential mount. I'm not saying it's a definite issue, but I remember there being a thread or two about a clunking when shifting hard. From what I remember, it was the nose of the diff that would dip forward.

You got that car with an L28et for $1k? That is a GREAT deal!! S30s are rare up here in Canada, so I paid $1k to pull my 77 out of a freaking barn where it had sat for 15 years. It was bone stock, all the panels were rusted (rest of chassis was fine, thank god), etc. And I thought I did ok...haha. Nice buy and have fun, these cars are a blast with a turbo engine.