HybridZ

72 240z

The other day I was told about this car by someone on a forum. I Went to check it out today and here it is.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562590375hsIsRE

Here are some pictures that I took from today. Talked them down to 1000 and put down a 50 dollar deposit on it. The car looks very solid other then the rockers and part of the hatch. The floors are good, battery area is good, frame rails are nice. Had a hard time getting it started and had to use some ether. The carbs need to probably be tuned and im sure a general tune up is needed as well. The car was trapped in by other cars so I couldn't try the tranny and all that. What do you guys think? Think its worth the price? The paint is trashed, but im ok with that. I pretty much just wanna get it into driving order and daily drive it. How much do you think fixing the rockers and that hatch section would cost? I would be doing all the work myself so all I would need is the price of the patch panels. Also the seats are torn, but the rest of the interior isn't that bad. Tach was bouncing all over the place so something was up with that. It needs an ignition switch too so thats on the list as well. I can't think of much more to include, but what do you guys think?

In these pics, it looks like the wheel well totally rusted out, but the dog lets/quarters were fine. I would expect the doglegs and quarters to go with it, which makes me think it may have been repaired before. I'd investigate that, since that would worry me. Who knows if they did it right or screwed it one and put bondo over it, or if they did anything at all. Otherwise it looks to be pretty clean.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2733584680063370706sUxJnQ

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2063230040063370706hWJfsp

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2091676290063370706MjazHn

well, it looks relatively complete for 1000$ I'm not the biggest fan of rust or rust repair so I tend to cringe when I see things like that. Good news is that most of the rusted out bits (at least the ones we can see) are available from MSA or Black Dragon. if you have the time and skill to do it yourself than by all means save it. also, given your location your choices are far and few between when compared with some of the southern states which increases this cars value and appeal.

if your looking at paying someone else to do the repairs on the inner fenders, rockers, and hatch, if you supply the parts your probably looking at something between 1.5-2.5k now there is a huge variance simply because of the fact that some people charge more for good work, some people charge less for shitty work. what kind of work to you want done? Estimates will vary wildly on repairs like that from one shop to the next. Sometimes shops will give you high $ figures simply because they don't want to do the work.

The key would be to find an enthusiast/hotrod shop that is willing to do the work because they appreciate your car and your situation. Because a shop like this is not interested in pounding out insurance work be prepared to WAIT for a long time to get your car back... be aware that its no longer a daily driver when it sits in the rod shop for 6 months.

good luck

For a PA car it doesn't look too bad. If you are buying this car beat on and not sink a lot of cash into, go for it. If you have plans for a long term high HP nice looking project, start with a better car.

You could buy a plan ticket to Arizona, shop for a week and have a nice car or shell shipped home (or maybe even drive it home) for less than a compentent shop would charge for rust repair and body work on that car.

Well I would be doing any rust repairs with the help of my father. What kind of suspension does your car have sparky, I like the way it sits. I have found the hatch panel for $130 or I can make a patch.

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/icatalog/z/full.asp?page=21

I found that just looking around today. For the rocker section, would that include the inner section though?? Thats more of what I need. It seems like more of the inner rocker is gone then the outer sections.

Chances are your going to need Items 7-9 on the Black Dragon page you linked. its possible that you could forego 7 and fabricate some patch sections your self if you have some metal fab skills. for the price though I would just buy it.

I'm running ground control coilovers on my car with 225F/250R springs. I'm also running a slightly shorter tire which brings the car a little lower.

7 includes a bit of the inner rocker, the rest is NLA so you would have to fab up some sections to replace it, they are out of sight though so you don't have to be perfect when you make them.

How were the ground contols to install? Worth doing over something like the arizona Z car setup? Also How do you like the ride? Any body roll to speak of or do you wish you would have went with stiffer springs? What do you have for struts? Im going to be looking into doing some sort of suspension upgrade, but I just dont know what yet. Looking for opinions.