HybridZ

Custom center console (lots of pics)

calpoly-z

WOW I like the looks of that!! Its very reminiscent of the Roadster consoles actually, and it might not be all that difficult to find a genuine datsun center console to bolt in for an arm rest instead of building one. I have to start looking at parts with this in mind now, hmmmm......

Did you bevel the leading edges and corners of the two side pieces, or is that just a "blunting" effect from the vinyl wrapped around it?

Here is a thought as far as reproducing this is concerned.. How about making patterns for the pieces of MDF that you used? That way, if you would be so kind as to distribute them freely, anyone who wants could do the same thing on their own rather than take your time to do so.

One thing I might have done differently would be the material used for the "face" of the console.. I would have tried using either a piece of plywood or possibly some sort of fiberglass sheet, and cut square holes out for using the stock switches and indicator lights from that section of the original console.. but thats primarily because I am almost obsessed with the stock look inside my Datsun

To answer the questions posted, there is no foam involved for this part of the console, just wood and vinyl, and I rounded the leading edges on the front of the console. The vinyl actually covered sharp edges pretty well.

Daeron - I actually have though about just posting dimensions and I probably will in the near future after I update my initial SolidWorks drawing to match what I actually built.

To keep yall updated I am about 90% done with the armrest part of the project and I'll post some pics when I (hopefully) finish this in the next few days. I managed to incorporate a padded lid, a locking storage area and even a cupholder. Right now I'm not entirely pleased with how it looks, but I'll have to reserve judgment for when its finished and mounted in the car. This part has definitely proven to be a lot more difficult that I initially anticipated. I really wanted to find a lock and latch in one (like in the glovebox), but my searches around town all ended in vain. So I'm just using a cheap cylinder lock I got at the hardware store.

I'll post some pics later.

I like what you did. Nice work! I was looking for a console like that for my 73 camaro.

I think the only thing I would do different is to wrap the individual pieces of wood with the vinyl first so you don't get any seams showing and use little "L" brackets on the inside to hold it together.

looks awesome. another two thumbs up here. I was hesitant about no console part but all in all its pretty slick IMO. Now make a place for my change and Tim Horton's cup and we are good to go... Love it!

For the american's Tim Horton's is our coffee shop ;)

Careless- I agreeabout the wood. I never would have thought it work as well as it does, but I got the idea from a custom stereo shop that was in a comples I used to work at. They almost EVERYTHING out of MDF. They did some sick fiberglass work as well, but MDF is so cheap and easy to work with. I had little to no woodworking experience before this, but with the help of a nice saber saw and a disc/belt sander things came out pretty well.

This morning I blew off one of my GE's and finished covering my armest. It's not exactly what I had envisioned, but it came out pretty well and should be functional. I'll get pics up this afternoon when I get home from class.

Careless- I agreeabout the wood. I never would have thought it work as well as it does, but I got the idea from a custom stereo shop that was in a comples I used to work at. They almost EVERYTHING out of MDF. They did some sick fiberglass work as well, but MDF is so cheap and easy to work with. I had little to no woodworking experience before this, but with the help of a nice saber saw and a disc/belt sander things came out pretty well.

This morning I blew off one of my GE's and finished covering my armest. It's not exactly what I had envisioned, but it came out pretty well and should be functional. I'll get pics up this afternoon when I get home from class.

hey cal,

I've used MDF for all my speaker boxes, or even the rims that I use to mold fibreglass around. it works, but for a center console, I was opening this page and envisioning just an extension of the factory unit... I didn't imagine a speaker set to fit in there. LOL

well concealed =)

"I swear officer, the speaker was pounding on my calf, and i hit the gas sporadically" :D

Fiberglass would definitely be the best option for finishing off what you started, but I can't think of a product that looks just like the factory plastic texture. I've used paint that wrinkles up on my valve cover, and Hammerite which leaves a hammered like texture, but I don't really know anything that pebbles. Hopefully someone's come across something that gets close.

that looks really awesome actually.

I notice all the comments about his speaker placement. up until recently, I thought the speakers mounted in my center console were STOCK, because of how well they were installed. from the looks of it they cut the console, made a bracket for the speaker, and put on a plastic grill to cover the speaker, that blends in such a way that it LOOKS factory. whoever did it did it many many years ago.