HybridZ

Got my T3/T04E hybrid turbo today! (pics too of course)

hughdogz

Now I just have to design the downpipe. What grade stainless alloy is good for this? 304 or 409 Stainless??

I also want to incorperate two O2 bungs (one for wideband, one for narrow) and a "slash reed" for the cam cover vacuum instead of a breather.

I also got an "Ultimate Internal Wastegate" from ATP turbos!

I want to get everything (including my shaved N42 intake) ceramic coated as well...and thermal wrap the DP / exhaust manifold! :icon54:

T3_T04E_1.jpg

T3_T04E_2.jpg

more pics:

View single post from my project page clicky

Hey, thanks guys!

The specs are 50 trim compressor and stage III turbine wheel in the .63 A/R housing. Supportable of up to 450 RWHP. :mrgreen:

I agree, Yasin's manifolds are sweet! :icon14:

Maybe I should have gone externally wastegated from the git-go. We'll see how the ultimate turns out.

Hey, thanks guys!

The specs are 50 trim compressor and stage III turbine wheel in the .63 A/R housing. Supportable of up to 450 RWHP. :mrgreen:

I agree, Yasin's manifolds are sweet! :icon14:

Maybe I should have gone externally wastegated from the git-go. We'll see how the ultimate turns out.

Hugh - That turbo is a great choice...! So when are you going to mount that bad boy?

I bought my Turbo from the good Docotor at SpeedShopThagard. Between you and me externally mounting a wastegate was a pain!

looking forward to hear some feedback.

Yasin

Sweet looking setup.

In case you don't have a copy here's the compressor map for your turbo. Looks like max flow is around 24psi give or take a few.

30375-lr.jpg

Can you remind me where you got the V-Band outlet?

Also, do you have a spare exhaust manifold to make sure the compressor isn't going to hit?

Thanks for the map John!

Sweet looking setup.

Can you remind me where you got the V-Band outlet?

ATP turbo Clicky

^^^ Damn! They changed their design to a cast piece. I think I like their new design better. It seems like it has better transistions and would transfer less heat. I should call them and see if they are willing to exchange. :-|

Also, do you have a spare exhaust manifold to make sure the compressor isn't going to hit?

Yes, I do. I'll check it out. I thought it was the intake that might hit...

I still need to buy a wastegate actuator and mounting bracket. I figured I'd wait until I knew (for sure) that the housings would bolt up and they did! :-P

It hits alright...mainly just the bosses interfering though. If I clock the compressor housing, I might get lucky, but it's looking like I need to remove some of the boss on the manifold and run a 1/8" spacer. I'm hoping that's all it will take.

I can't remember if you said you had to modify the compressor housing too. How did you fit yours?

Thanks!

It hits alright...mainly just the bosses interfering though. If I clock the compressor housing, I might get lucky, but it's looking like I need to remove some of the boss on the manifold and run a 1/8" spacer. I'm hoping that's all it will take.

I can't remember if you said you had to modify the compressor housing too. How did you fit yours?

Hugh, My compressor housing is .50 A/R so it's very small. I think it's from a T04E but it might be a T04B. I've never really been sure. It fits the OEM exhaust manifold without any modification or spacer. It was originally sourced from Jim Wolf as a Sport 400 turbo. The larger .60 A/R housing would be better than mine if you can get it to fit. Personally I've never had to try and fit a larger housing. FWIW the GT35R typically uses a .70 A/R compressor....:shock:. If you are going to build a custom DP you might try a spacer or you could try and find a .50 A/R housing. There's a good chance you could just swap the .60 housing for the .50 assuming you find one. If the compressor housing is machined specially for your wheel (like mine) you would have to have a turbo shop install the different housing. I hope all this makes sense.

Sweet looking setup.

In case you don't have a copy here's the compressor map for your turbo. Looks like max flow is around 24psi give or take a few.

That'll do 35 psi easily. It might make 450 rwhp but if that is the goal it is on the small side for sure.

Hey John, I really appreciate your time and help...

You know, I really hate to say anything negative about vendors, but I specifically asked for the .50 trim wheel in a .50 trim housing, since I knew this could be an issue. I was told a .50 trim housing would be used.

On top of it, I said I don't want a cermachrome coating either. I wanted the better performing black coating. It took three months to get this one, so I don't even want to hassle with the S.O.B. anymore! Sheesh! :-|

I guess I can still use it and buy a 3/8" spacer, longer studs and (most likely) rework some of my IC piping. OR I can call the guy back and see what he says about it. Maybe I can get a .50 trim housing out of him.

The bigger compressor housing really has no benefit to me at all, right?

Ehh...I think I kind of brought this upon myself for jumping the gun and having too many irons in the fire...:bonk:

That'll do 35 psi easily. It might make 450 rwhp but if that is the goal it is on the small side for sure.

Clifton, Max flow of the E50 wheel according the the map is 47lb/min which is achieved at a pressure ratio of roughly 2.6 or about 24psi. 35psi is possible but at 47lb/min he would be WAY out of the efficiency islands. The charge air would be so hot from over-revving the turbo that peak HP would likely be less than it would be at 24psi. I agree that 450RWHP is optimistic especially without a bigger turbine wheel.

Hey John, I really appreciate your time and help...

You know, I really hate to say anything negative about vendors, but I specifically asked for the .50 trim wheel in a .50 trim housing, since I knew this could be an issue. I was told a .50 trim housing would be used. As for the coated

On top of it, I said I don't want a cermachrome coating either. I wanted the better performing black coating. It took three months to get this one, so I don't even want to hassle with the S.O.B. anymore! Sheesh! :-|

I guess I can still use it and buy a 3/8" spacer, longer studs and (most likely) rework some of my IC piping. OR I can call the guy back and see what he says about it. Maybe I can get a .50 trim housing out of him.

The bigger compressor housing really has no benefit to me at all, right?

Ehh...I think I kind of brought this upon myself for jumping the gun and having too many irons in the fire...:bonk:

Hugh, A .60 A/R compressor housing is supposedly more efficient than a smaller housing. In other words in should be able to move more air volume at the same boost level or the same volume at a lower boost level. This is all theoretical but that is my understanding. A .70 housing may be too large so there are diminishing returns. It's all a balancing act between the compressor's and turbine's ability. So yes, there is an advantage to a .60 housing. If you can make it fit I would use it. If not try and locate a .50 A/R housing.

As for the cermachrome coating I think you are right. The black coating should have been used. The cermachrome usually is not rated high enough for turbine housings. Worst case it that it will get dull. Some people say it will flake off if it gets too hot but I've never seen that happen.

If it won't make it to 450 whp easily, then no biggie. I know I'll have to beef up my drivetrain before I can even dream about putting down that kind of power. If it can make ~375 WHP I'll be ecstatic! :-P

I'm pretty sure it will work fine with just a small spacer. I just didn't want to sacrifice low boost threshold as much as possible.

Eventually, I'll want a GT-series, get serious about the drivetrain, and design some custom manifolds. But first I need to learn how to tune on what I have installed now and quit dreaming. :rolleyes:

John, thanks for the good news!

I'm probably going to keep it anyway, a little bigger isn't such a bad thing. I don't think it will be too difficult to install either.

It seemed well understood that a cermachrome coating would not be as good for a turbine housing. So it is this awesome HPC coating that is bad-ass and everything (not cermachrome?). We shall see. ;)

[Edit: It looks like it is only good to 1300F. D'oh!

http://www.hpcoatings.com/am/products/products_heat_which.aspx]

Yes max flow is 47 lbs but not max boost. There's no reason to run it out to 47 lbs. That turbo on a smaller engine would be fine at 30 psi if not run past 70%, right around 40lbs. I guess not many on here like to run high boost though so it shouldn't matter. If he gets the boost but it will be way too small.

Yes max flow is 47 lbs but not max boost. There's no reason to run it out to 47 lbs. That turbo on a smaller engine would be fine at 30 psi if not run past 70%, right around 40lbs. I guess not many on here like to run high boost though so it shouldn't matter. If he gets the boost but it will be way too small.

:iagree: