HybridZ

How to figure out month of manufacture

Hello,

I'm sure this has been asked a lot and is available by search, but I haven't been able to find it. I've got a '72 240Z and I'm trying to figure out when exactly it was made. The door plate is missing from what i can tell, and the VIN is HLS30-87974. Since there is a changeover on some parts after 6-72, it would be very helpful to know when this thing was made. Does anyone have any idea already, or can someone direct me to when this was made?

Thanks a lot!

Greg

If your engine is all original, there is usually a cast-in date on the front main cover. On my engine it was exactly 30 years to the day before I bought the car that the front cover was cast. I thought that was cool. (11/15/73) vs. (11/15/03)

Nice!!...you can say you bought a 30 year old car and mean it!! lol

www.zhome.com has a registry. You can see if there are any around your serial number registered and when they were built.

There's more than a few ways to find that information on there too. There is the registry and another list with approximate dates. IIRC.

Also check out www.classiczcars.com there's quite a bit of info there on stuff like this too.