HybridZ

Beefing Up Rockers??

I'm going to be doing a full cage in my car. I was thinking I should weld a tube inside the rockers before I install the cage. I want to make the rockers more rigid for safe reasons mostly. I will likely cut out the sheet metal from the outside to weld a tube inside. Does anyone have any pictures or recommendations how to do this properly?

Justin

I vaguely remember someone posting a picture of a turquoise 510 that was hit pretty badly from the side, and had the rocker bar not been installed with the cage, the driver would have been seriously deformed or killed.

so yeah. that's going in my car too.

An alternative is to weld some square section tube along the pinch weld underneath. This can still be tied in to a roll cage and has the added benefit of being a long jacking point. Which can be really handy if you have a low car.

Did this on the S30, it worked so well did it on the S130 too. Best to design it into a complete chassis stiffening plan from the outset.

An alternative is to weld some square section tube along the pinch weld underneath. This can still be tied in to a roll cage and has the added benefit of being a long jacking point. Which can be really handy if you have a low car.

Did this on the S30, it worked so well did it on the S130 too. Best to design it into a complete chassis stiffening plan from the outset.

Do you have any pictures of this? What sized square tubing did you use?

Justin

viperredls1z had 2x2 square tubes welded into the rockers on the red car. I know there has been some talk about this before, I thought there were pictures of that modification previously. You might see if you can dig through the archives and find it.

I think its a really good idea and that the cage should tie directly into the tube inside the rocker if possible, rather than attaching to the floor or a box tied to the floor.

No problem. Here's a better one:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?&p=3&uid=2927792&gid=10145811&&imgid=219714571#top

There is another one floating around where you can see how they did the back of the tube. It basically protrudes about 1/2" into the wheel well and is welded to a probably 6" x 6" square plate. The plate is welded to the wheel well and the tube is welded to the plate and capped. I can't find it on his site.

I'm just trying to decide between using 1.625 Round tubing (like the rest of the cage will be made from) or doing 2" X 2" Square Tubing for the rockers.

What do you all think?

Regards,

Justin

im going to do mine out of the same tube as the rollcage itll make it look all the same that way just my .02

I guess that will be fine. I would imagine I'm going to have to use 6" X 6" X 0.125" plates to tie the rocker bars into the car. Then I can mount the cage to this and still stay NHRA legal.

Justin

thanks lol i almost forgot that can someone tell me roughly how think that is 1/8 inch 1/16 etc

• 3 weeks later...

Next time I am over at ZRaceProducts if I remember I will climb around Jerry's Z and take pics of how he ran tubes through the rocker panels. Jerry did his in a way that allowed him to connect the tubes into the rest of the cage after exiting out of the front and rear of the rocker panels. He told me that the primary reason he did this was so that in the event of an accident neither the front or rear tires would be able to be pushed into the car (when I get some pictures you will understand what I mean), but basicaly when the tube comes out of the front it goes into the wheelwell and is angled up and across then penetrates the inner fender and is welded to the engine compartment section of the cage, the rear does the same thing but connects to the rear section of the cage.

Dragonfly

• 2 weeks later...
Dragonfly,

Any chance on you posting those pictures? I'm still debating round vs square tubing.

Regards,

Justin

I'm not sure when I am going to be out his way again but I will call him in the morning and see if he can snap some pics and email them to me.

Dragonfly