HybridZ

A couple problems with my Z's body. Help?

Mauisnow13

The rear fenders on my Z are supposedly fiberglass from what I've been told. They are beginning to come off of a little bar that makes up the shape of the fender. Here's some pics:

0313081344.jpg

0313081345.jpg

0313081345a.jpg

I am not sure how i should go about fixing this problem. It needs to be cost effective. I was thinking about shaving the fiberglass off until I hit metal again, (a couple inches) then replacing it by welding in metal. I am not sure though. I don't know too much about bodywork. I'd appreciate any help.

The driver's side door also sticks out at the bottom a bit. I am not sure if this is a problem with the fender or a problem with the door. Here's a pic, tell me what you think.

0313081348.jpg

I really appreciate all of your help.

Thanks,

Amren

Looks to me that between your delaminating body,obviuos body filler,horrible line up,and paint runs that the body of your car is basically butchered.Anything is fixable and it doesnt really look that bad.

My advice- cut and grind everything off and start new,if you dont you will wish you did later!

The reason it has all the paint runs and all, is cause it was just spray painted. Not much attention to detail at all. New paint job is on the way.

The rear quarters were supposedly custom i guess. The fiberglass is coming off so I'm trying to decide how to fix it or what I should do. Keep in mind, I'm not the best at bodywork. I could always try and find someone to help me, or see if a body shop would do it.

I'm thinking i'll get subtle Z rear flares or something. I dunno. If there is anyone around the Boise area, and you know anything about bodywork, I'd LOVE some help. I'd highly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Amren

Evaluate carefully before starting to repair ! Something is significantly out of place or structurally rotted. The door gap and it relationship to the leading edge of the quarter is very suspect . Better pics will help to identify the issue. Some thing caused the top of the quarter to close up to the upper rear edge of the door. The car could have sustained a hit to the l/r and the body needs to be pulled or the inner and outer rockers could be badly rusted . This is difficult to tell with the pics provided. Look underneath carefully for any rust holes or bad repairs. This should be corrected before any repairs to the w/openings.

Larry

I'm in the boise area (kuna actually) and i do quite a bit of my own body work, but by no means an expert. I would have to take a close look at it but i would have to agree. it looks like your going to need new rear panels. those look to be pulling away from the metal frame pretty bad. unless you have your heart set on keeping the fiberglass i would just weld in new panels off a donor car (plenty to be had around here). then you could take care of any rust issues hiding in there at the same time.

as for the door it looks like it might just be an alignment issue or a bad hinge. it looks like the whole back end of the door is a little low. but again it would take a closer look to be able to tell for sure. it might be shoddy workmanship done on the fiberglass panels. which you would obviously work on fixing when/if you replace the panels.

just don't expect a magic quick fix. either way it looks like that is going to take some elbow grease.

It doesn't really have much. It has an L26 in it. 4 spd with short shifter. Wiring is about gone. I was planning on a l28et swap anyways so this didn't matter to me. The rust on the floorboards has already been repaired. Just has rust on battery tray and behind doglegs.

Here's some exterior pics.

0313081349a.jpg

0313081349.jpg

I'm asking 1500 obo. I listed it at this cause I'm expecting people to talk me down of course so I listed it a bit high. I need the money to buy another car. I'd like to get it out so if they are interested, have them make me an offer.

BTW, it's a 1970 240z. VIN HLS30-01542 #1542 built. really early production Z.

I talked to my freind but we agree that is quite high for the work it will require. he is going to pass. my other friend just picked a 77' 280 that doesn't need as much work as that one for $400. i know thats a great deal but still, they can be had for a good price around here. i held out when looking for mine. after looking at 10 or 12 Z's in about a 4 week period (yeah there are that many around here) i ended up with a great running, rust free 78' 280Z in awsome shape for $1,200 and that was after i couldn't even talk the guy down a single penny. not that i really needed to.

well i hope you get something close to that, i really do. i hate to see a Z lover without a Z.

But if i may be a voice of sanity... your right, it is a low production number Z car, which for classic restorations is a big plus. for those wanting to just have a nice Z for a DD or even a hot street car it's not that important at all. the work that it will take is the main concern, so they are not going to shell out more money for more work. now the only problem you have going against you is that neither crowd is going to be interested. the classic stock restorers don't want it because it the fenders have been replaced, it's not the origional motor, and you mentioned a few of the other stock items are either gone or badly damaged. and i already mentioned why others might not want it.

I am not trying to be mean, i just don't want you to get mad or be suprised when everybody come at you with offers under 600-700. especially when there are a few out here for sale. i know of 3 or 4 in the area that are out there right now. I know how frustrating this can be, the first of the 3 Z's i've owned turned out to be a lemon. i paid good money for what i thought was a good car but it turned out to be 90% rust and bondo. i had to sacrifce a lot of money just to get it out of my driveway.

i hope i'm not making you mad, trust me that is not what i am trying to do at all. i just wanted to share my experiences i've had dealing with Z's in the boise area. for some reason there just happens to be quite a few around here. its a good thing sometimes and a pain in the !!@#@!#! others. good luck with everything. we will have to get together sometime and talk Z's.